GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Variable valve timing solenoid

adam.rice09

I need some help locating the variable valve timing solenoid in my 2012 GTI 2.0 TSI. I've searched every forum and video on the interwebs with zero luck. Pictures would be helpful also. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
The VVT solenoid, referred to as the "camshaft adjustment magnet" or similar, is located on the passenger side (of US cars) of the engine and is held on by 3 torx bolts. It is item #5 in the attached exploded diagram and the lower item of the other picture, below. OEM part #06L109259D.

adam.rice09

The middle picture shows the solenoid I was looking for. It is the middle piece in the middle picture. Is that located inside the magnet?

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
The circled piece is the N205 valve, OEM part # 06H109257A. It is actuated by the solenoid, so yes, it is directly behind the solenoid. It threads into the cam bridge which you point to in your marked up photo. The N205 valve is reverse threaded (clockwise to remove) and requires VW tool T10352 to remove/install (pictured below).

How about you explain what problem you're having and what you're trying to accomplish? That way I can help you instead of answering shot-in-the-dark questions.

Last edited:

adam.rice09

All the info is greatly appreciated.
I am attempting to trouble shoot the following DTCs, p0341, p052, p0011, p000. At first the shut off engine low oil pressure light would come on during right hand turns at about 3500 RPM. Changed oil and replaced oil filter. Fixed that issue. Next CEL came on and diagnosed with the above DTCs. Replaced crankshaft position sensor. Light turned off and codes went away. A few days later and about 200 miles later, light back on and codes reappeared. My next course of action was to pull the vvt solenoid and check the screens in that part for clogging and/or if it needed to be replaced. Currently car will not turn over, when light and codes first appeared, it would idle rough and lope.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
All the info is greatly appreciated.
I am attempting to trouble shoot the following DTCs, p0341, p052, p0011, p000. At first the shut off engine low oil pressure light would come on during right hand turns at about 3500 RPM. Changed oil and replaced oil filter. Fixed that issue. Next CEL came on and diagnosed with the above DTCs. Replaced crankshaft position sensor. Light turned off and codes went away. A few days later and about 200 miles later, light back on and codes reappeared. My next course of action was to pull the vvt solenoid and check the screens in that part for clogging and/or if it needed to be replaced. Currently car will not turn over, when light and codes first appeared, it would idle rough and lope.

Hhm, could be VVT related but could also be an issue with the camshaft timing chain/tensioner slipping. Big issue that's gotten a lot of attention recently including a class action lawsuit that's taking place. If the timing chain did slip you could have piston/valve contact leading to bent valves. Easiest way to check is a compression test across all cylinders to make sure you still have compression. Assuming you have compression and your valves are safe, you can take off the cam bridge by taking off the upper timing chain cover and the N205 valve. I believe you need to support the motor and remove the motor mount/bracket to get the access to do this. I previously had issues with rough idle and a VVT DTC...ended up taking apart the cam bridge & N205 valve and cleaning which fixed the problem.

Here's a link to the service manual with info on the procedure and timing/vvt system as a whole. Use the menu on the left to navigate.

adam.rice09

You rock, I'll definitely have it checked out. I just got the lawsuit paperwork in the mail. Shitty part is, I wont recieved reimbursement unless I get it fixed at a dealership and request repayment. Who knows if I'll ever actually see any of it

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
You rock, I'll definitely have it checked out. I just got the lawsuit paperwork in the mail. Shitty part is, I wont recieved reimbursement unless I get it fixed at a dealership and request repayment. Who knows if I'll ever actually see any of it

Best advice I can give you is to run a compression test to check for bent valves. Spec is:

New Engines 11-14 bar. 161-205.8psi
Max wear limit is 7 bar. 102psi
Max differences is 3 bar. 44psi

If you don't have pressure (and you're under 100k miles) call a VW dealership and see if they'll take care of you for a tensioner failure.

adam.rice09

Getting the compression checked out this week. I'm already over 100K but I'm still going to see what VW says when I bring it in along with the class action paperwork.

It really peeves me that a known issue isn't being addressed by the company. My wife and I strictly drive VW and if they can't figure out how to keep us happy, they might lose lifelong customers. Not that they care haha

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Getting the compression checked out this week. I'm already over 100K but I'm still going to see what VW says when I bring it in along with the class action paperwork.

It really peeves me that a known issue isn't being addressed by the company. My wife and I strictly drive VW and if they can't figure out how to keep us happy, they might lose lifelong customers. Not that they care haha

Best of luck. Fingers crossed you don't have significant damage. I'm glad I replaced my timing system before it let go.

soboro

Gents,

What is the full name of the #10 O-ring in the diagram, and where can I find it?
Also looking for this exact part.. Any luck finding out the name or part number? I believe I have an upper timing cover gasket leak after I noticed oil dripping from the passenger side, so apparently that o-ring should also be replaced while I'm at it.