GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best way to learn stick?

ewgrosschris

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I've been craving to learn how to drive stick, no one I know has a manual, what's my options for learning?

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
You're so cool!

lon888

Ready to race!
Find a buddy who has a Honda or a Miata. They are the easiest manuals to shift in the world. And then practice, practice, practice. It'll come to you after a while.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
It's a sad day for mankind when 'no-one you know' has a manual...

That being said, can you get a manual from a car rental agency anywhere near you?

I actually learned the basics of manual transmissions on an atv (quad, four-wheeler, whatever you want to call it). Once you're comfortable with the basic idea of how to manipulate the gas/clutch, applying it to a car is muuuch easier.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
If your DD isn't a manual transmission, don't bother. It's all about muscle memory and trying to learn on a friend's car is just going to destroy their clutch and make you think you can actually drive manual.

It's something that you need to do every single day for a while in order to really get the feel for it.

ewgrosschris

Ready to race!
If your DD isn't a manual transmission, don't bother. It's all about muscle memory and trying to learn on a friend's car is just going to destroy their clutch and make you think you can actually drive manual.

It's something that you need to do every single day for a while in order to really get the feel for it.

Ouch, I just wanted to learn before buying a new car with Manual transmission (04 R32)

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Ouch, I just wanted to learn before buying a new car with Manual transmission (04 R32)

It's not hard.

My dad taught me on a brand new Corvette he decided to test drive.

:lol:

Pretty much took me to an open lot, got out, and said drive.

Taught me how to move the car using only the clutch, something I still use to this day... makes take offs in traffic much easier.

In theory it's easier on the clutch, I'm not sure, nor do I care if it is or not.

:lol:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
You could also go and buy that 04 R32 and have the dealer teach you to drive manual.

If he really wants to make the sale, he won't mind spending a couple of hours teaching you to drive the car he will sell you.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
move the car using only the clutch

You mean hang-point? That is what my dad called it when he taught me how to drive manual in his old Mazda 323.

Hang-point is one those things that is going away eventually since most of the new manual cars coming out have hill-assist :laugh:

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
You mean hang-point? That is what my dad called it when he taught me how to drive manual in his old Mazda 323.

Hang-point is one those things that is going away eventually since most of the new manual cars coming out have hill-assist :laugh:

Pretty much.

I can walk a car with the clutch and then get all the way off it without throttle.

Bigmack74

Ready to race!
Learn the basics and have somebody drop you and the car off in a large parking lot buy yourself. Then it will be just you and the car. Then it's up to you on how you get home!