GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DUBPL8's TDI Build

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Thought I'd start off a thread to document my build from the beginning since it's a nice way to keep track of things.

25 August 2012 - Picked up my base model TDI 4dr DSG from Boardwalk VW Richardson (now AutoNation VW Richardson). First brand new car for me since my ill-fated 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 which was totaled 9 years ago, got me back into the car scene after a hiatus when I sold my '95 240SX in mid 2008 just before I left for Sydney. Also my first automatic in 10 years. Was about to purchase a VW Tiguan but glad I got to my senses and bought this instead lol

First thing I did to christen the vehicle with some Kraftwerk as an ode to its German heritage ;)

Noticed two rainbows in the sky so took advantage of it to express my pride

10 September - broke 1,000 miles

22 September - broke 50mpg for the first time

4 October - First mod, the inevitable Cherry Red OEM LED tails. Picked it up for a good price from a seller on Vortex, got it coded same day thanks to chucka :thumbup:

24 October - Bought a set of Bi-Xenon LED's complete with bulbs, ballasts, and AFS modules brand new in hopes of retrofitting it on my base model TDI

25 October - German plate from customeuropeanplates.com arrived, complete with registration stickers haha

26 October - Got my roof wrapped by my old HS bud's tint shop with Aveary 700 glossy film

Before

After

28 October - bought a rear leveling sensor and AFS module in hopes of implementing the full AFS features with it

3 November - picked up a free rear GTI sway bar from a forum member on here locally (thanks s2kguy!)

17 November - got my rear sway bar installed but my HID's sadly didn't due to being sold the wrong harness :cry:

Had it all ready too

That was put on hold :(

December - Bought a set of Bilstein PSS10's from a seller off Vortex, didn't install them until later due to busy schedule; also picked up a rear parcel shelf and OEM roof rack which I've been too lazy to install :laugh:

January - picked up a set of BBS CH's with +35 offset wrapped in Bridgestone Potenzas from a seller on Vortex as well

Was running on 4x4 mode for a while haha

February - decided to trade my Bi Xenons straight up for chucka's mint plaid seats

Still have yet to install them to this day :laugh:

3 March - fed up with not having the time to install the coilovers myself and with the 4x4 look, finally hit up a buddy of mine to install the PSS10's for me with a 1.75" drop and set to 5 for the dampeners

Final result:

Then my fenders were rubbing against the tires, expected with such an aggressive offset :(

13 March - Got my front fenders rolled at Texas Track Works to end the rubbing once and for all:

Final result:

16 March - slapped an Aphex Twin decal to differentiate from the masses :D

Hope to keep updating this "build" as time passes by, thinking about powdercoating the BBS CH's hot pink lol

Cheers

Last edited:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Finally. Geez, Danial, you take forever with some stuff.

Looking good! Why no seats installed yet?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Finally. Geez, Danial, you take forever with some stuff.

Looking good! Why no seats installed yet?

Laziness.

I need a Torx tool set. I come from a background of 90s Japanese cars and Torx screws are foreign to me :laugh:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Laziness.

I need a Torx tool set. I come from a background of 90s Japanese cars and Torx screws are foreign to me :laugh:

Seriously. I wrenched on my Scion for years with basically just a phillips head screwdriver and 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 19mm sockets.

This car gets all the special tools. Strut spreaders, triple square bits, torx sockets... 16mm sockets. I don't understand why 16mm is not a common socket size.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Some of the pictures are filtered while at work, but of the ones I can see, it looks good!

Is Imgur blocked? If so, I'll use another hosting site. I keep forgetting not everyone is blessed with unfiltered Internet at work like I am haha :D

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Very clean TDI. I think in have seen you around, that sticker does stand out.

haha you work downtown Dallas too? I usually see a few GTI's and TDI's on my commute to work.

hilld

Ready to race!
Not sure Torx is what you need, you need triple squares. Completely different animal. :yikes: