GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's 100% confirmed...... VW GOLF R Coming to US!!

goorpy

Can't disagree with you there. :thumbsup:

Just get a GTI! I've drove AWD for years and I still bought a FWD car. It's not a big deal. Better from a roll and at the pump.

That's the most likely fallback plan for me, I think.

It will be easier for me to settle for less power and a lower price, but get the DSG I've wanted for a while.

Tailwagger

Ready to race!
Perfect timing for me. Looks like we go dub dub. Keeping the GTI, losing the Rex. Deposit goes down tomorrow.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I'm planning on putting a deposit down this spring, my dealership said they'll have them on the lot in early 2012. At least I'll have a year with it before the world ends:D

Big Swede

Ready to race!
Man I can't win for losing. When the R32 came out I drove to work in 0 traffic and wanted a stick. Now I drive in way more traffic and have a different weekend car so I was hoping for DSG this time. Oh well I'm happy for all the guys that have been wanting a stick.

It is kind of weird that in reality the trannies should have been the opposite for both cars if you are talking dynamics.

The R32 was heavy and had no low-end torque so a 6 speed manual was desperately needed to make it feel more lively and to make sure it would beat up on a GTI.

Now with the new R coming it will be a lighter car with way more low-end torque because of the turbo. With that said turbo motors love automatics.

Kind of a weird choice if you ask me.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
After watching that video from the UK, a couple things come to mind.

1. DSG is notably quicker than the Manual gearbox.
2. No DSG = More affordable Golf R in the US.

hpowders

Ready to race!
really easy to learn if you want.

Yeah, we weren't born with the knowledge, it was learned.

If you can turn the key you can drive a stick.

I hate having to go back to driving school, but for this one it may be worth it.
Thanks for the encouragement! :)

bostonv10s6

Passed Driver's Ed
No Dsg ?

no go for me...I already have a manual sports car...want a bloody fast grocery getter...

GTI + K04 and good tune = faster than R...and nicer looking I think what happened to nice red grill and interior trim on R :(

AWD is the only real diff. between the cars...all the rest are cheap boltons...

09vdubgti

Banned
Wasn't the thing that everyone griped about with the Mk5 R32 was that it only came with DSG and that true purists wanted a 6spd? I can see VW getting very confused here.

I'd love to see a shootout between a Golf R and a Stage 1 or 2 GTI. I wonder how closed they'd be in terms of performance. The Golf R offers more power and traction while the GTI offers a 300+ lb weight advantage.

It'd be an interesting matchup.

-s

but theres also a power disadvantage with the R because its AWD. AWD = more HP loss due to the powertrain.

Deff great car, v8 5.0 motor, brembo brakes, RWD for 35k, awesome just awesome piece of machinery for the price.

I'd be curious to see a K04'd (with S3 injectors and a HPFP) 2.0t GTI give the "R" a run for its money.:fighting0030:

You dont need to upgrade injectors in a tsi.

Tailwagger

Ready to race!
2. No DSG = More affordable Golf R in the US.

I suspect outside and technical or supply issues, if they had to pick just one, the choice of stick was down to two factors. First, it holds the line on pricing. Presumably the 4 cylinder and manual configuration drops cost sufficiently to price the R right around where the last R32 was which puts it in a slot where there really is no competition. (the Rex/Evos might be track competition, but from a daily driver standpoint, the dub is far more refined and really aimed at a very different sensibility). Given that with the announcement less than 24 hours old we've already seen the inevitable comparisons to S4s and 335s, having a $12-15K price advantage makes such diatribes seem at best academic and of tremendous advantage to VW when its time to actually pull out the checkbook rather than rant about it.

But the second factor, and I suspect likely the more important one, is the history of this car in the US. The reality is that the original R32 with stick was revered (and still is), the subsequent DSG version was shunned. Right around this time in 2008, I negotiated a deal on a brand Blue R32 with Nav for 8Gs off list. Around here there were still a few new R32s languishing on lots unsold well into the early summer of 2009. Given all the bile spilt on boards over the DSG, I'm sure that left a bad taste in the mouths of VWoA execs, hence we get the stick.

I do somewhat share the disappointment that the DSG will not be available. I think at the time of the previous generation, the DSG was less mature, of questionable reliability and enthusiasts were still coming to terms with the loss of manual transmissions. A lot of this is going away now. Personally, I was actually looking forward to having to make a decision again about which way to go, but OTOH half of you just lost interest, which should make it easier for me to negotiate for one.

As an aside, this whole DSG vs. Stick thing reminds me of a moment back in my grad school days, when a bi-sexual neighbor of mine remarked at a block party, 'I feel so sorry for you, everybody at this party looks good to me.' I really hated her for that, but I'm beginning to take her point.

ladringan320

Ready to race!
This was my fear~_~. I've started putting crap on my gti, now they come out with the R... Screw that, 4 wheels drive will just make me heavier.