GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Last edited:

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
How did everyone remove the lower timing chain cover once it is broken loose? I'm trying to pull it down and away from the engine but it gets caught on the serpentine pulley tensioner and the turbo outlet. I could probably get it out if I removed the serpentine pulley tensioner but I can't figure out how to do that.

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you remove the tensioner pulley wheel? Kinda rotate clockwise and slide out downwards.

I was able to remove the serpentine belt tensioner pulley. The serpentine belt tensioner mechanism is still in the way though. If I rotate the cover clockwise it hits the serpentine belt tensioner mechanism and if I rotate the cover counter clockwise I hit the turbo outlet flange.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Try putting the screw back into the tensioner without the wheel. Get a 17mm wrench and lift the tensioner out of the way while pulling out the cover. Take a picture, let me see what you're working with.

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Try putting the screw back into the tensioner without the wheel. Get a 17mm wrench and lift the tensioner out of the way while pulling out the cover. Take a picture, let me see what you're working with.

I'll try that when I get home. If that doesn't work I'll post a picture. Thanks.

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I was able to get the cover off by removing the turbo outlet flange and lifting the belt tensioner out of the way. Thanks for your help.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I was able to get the cover off by removing the turbo outlet flange and lifting the belt tensioner out of the way. Thanks for your help.

Sorry been out of the office for a week on jobs in the field so I haven't been online and checked the forum, I would have recommended taking the output flange off, read that in a guid somewhere that it was necessary. Not sure if so, I had my turbo off the head when I did my tensioner and lower cover. Also took the tensioner pulley off to make getting that bolt behind it a bit easier

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry been out of the office for a week on jobs in the field so I haven't been online and checked the forum, I would have recommended taking the output flange off, read that in a guid somewhere that it was necessary. Not sure if so, I had my turbo off the head when I did my tensioner and lower cover. Also took the tensioner pulley off to make getting that bolt behind it a bit easier

I would say taking the belt tensioner off is required if don't have someone to release the tension on the belt. I couldn't find anything about the torque specs for the turbo outlet flange though. I figured I could just re-torque them if I develop a boost leak.

cygnusx1952

Question: Going to do this today. Some folks who have done this indicate that you must remove the pendulum/Dog Bone mount and Intake Manifold. Is that correct, or is there enough play to move the motor up and down and remove the motor mount bracket without removing these? How about if you just remove the dogbone mount? I'd rather not have to remove the intake manifold and not sure why that would be necessary since it is fixed to motor and moves with it.

Many thanks.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Question: Going to do this today. Some folks who have done this indicate that you must remove the pendulum/Dog Bone mount and Intake Manifold. Is that correct, or is there enough play to move the motor up and down and remove the motor mount bracket without removing these? How about if you just remove the dogbone mount? I'd rather not have to remove the intake manifold and not sure why that would be necessary since it is fixed to motor and moves with it.

Many thanks.

You don't need to remove the intake manifold or the pendulum mount. The only mount you have to take off is the engine mount in order to take off the engine cradle bracket. You don't need to move the engine up or down either if you can remove the bolts out of the bracket as is, very tight but very possible with patience. If you feel/need that your engine will shift/raise/lower for whatever reason then take off the pendulum mount.