GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed's LED Tails - VAG Help

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
I got around to ordering the LED Tail's w/fog from Ed/Varcar and they're on the way. That said, I wanted to ask a 2"012 R" owner here that has them... what change worked for you in VAG? Also, what steps did you take (did you have car on with DRLs on, headlights we're on, etc?)

I want to make sure so that when I go to have someone VAG it for me, we are not flucking around all day researching the issue. Lots of different answers. Kind of wanna put an end to the confusion.

GMP - Matthew

Ready to race!
there is a thread about this on vortex

Pacific German

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
If you have the non-Fog version, you will change coding (byte 18 if I remember)

from 20 to 21.

I think the number before should be 05... So it is something like 0520, you will make it 0521.

If you have the fog version it is different, you will have to switch some wires around. Do a search.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I have the fog version from Ed. Can someone else with an R confirm this setting after the install?

Thanks.

This is the setting for you

Golf R/2012 GTI with LED DRLs with LED tails w/ rear fogs

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
This is the setting for you

Golf R/2012 GTI with LED DRLs with LED tails w/ rear fogs
I'm assuming you have the regular (non-Auto/rear fog only) euro switch too? Also, is the Micro-CAN able to make changes like this?

Last edited:

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
Now as I understand (I have the fog light version) the reverse lights are normal bulbs? I'd like to replace the drivers side with a red LED and the pass with a white LED. Can someone 1- confirm this is ok and 2- which led's I should go with?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I'm assuming you have the regular (non-Auto/rear fog only) euro switch too? Also, is the Micro-CAN able to make changes like this?

I have a non-auto/rear-fog+front-fog euro switch since I have a 2012 GTI.

I also don't have a rear-fog in my tails so I have a different code than yours (20 --> 21 for me, 20 --> 04 for you)

I have a Micro-Can cable that I've used to code lights for people - including Golf Rs.

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a non-auto/rear-fog+front-fog euro switch since I have a 2012 GTI.

I also don't have a rear-fog in my tails so I have a different code than yours (20 --> 21 for me, 20 --> 04 for you)

I have a Micro-Can cable that I've used to code lights for people - including Golf Rs.

Thanks for the input my man... so the code changing to 04 has no bearing on if I have a different euro switch then you right? I am just an 04 because I have a rear fog?

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
yup. euro switch doesnt need any coding at all.

Yo zVP, thanks man... I'm about to install these things tonight along with rear-fog and euro switch. Other than the -->04 switch what other coding will I need to do to get the rear fog to turn on (if you know)?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Nothing - you just need to wire the trigger wires properly and that's all you need.

I think that's how, I don't have rear fogs on my LED tails so I'm not too sure what the process is to get the rear fogs working, but from what I've read, you don't need any coding.

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so I did everything as told to me by other 2012 US Golf R owners:

1- Attach repair wire from Pin 7 of Euro Switch ---> Pin 17 of Black Harness
2- Attach repair wire from Pin 3 of Euro Switch ---> Pin 19 of Black Harness
3- Swapped Pin 28 on Black Harness with Pin 47 on Brown Harness
4- Coded (used this link: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.p...3&postcount=87)
* I couldn't manually change 20 to 04 so I hit the drop-down box and found something that said "04 - European golf blah blah blah" <---- Was that the right thing to do?!?

5- Went to install LEDs, opened box and one of em was busted so I was like oh and went back to VAG, hit that drop-down box again and set it to what it was before (I think 18 or 20). Nonetheless, stock tail's are still on car and hooked up.

Anyhow, problems are:

1- Drivers side reverse light is lit all the time
2- With Euro switch in OFF position - No DRLs or anything is lit up (I thought DRLs were supposed to be on?)
3- With Euro switch in PARKING or ON positions - DRLs are on but dimmed

Can you help?

Last edited:

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so I did everything as told in this thread tonight in this order:

1- Attach repair wire from Pin 7 of Euro Switch ---> Pin 17 of Black Harness
2- Attach repair wire from Pin 3 of Euro Switch ---> Pin 19 of Black Harness
3- Swapped Pin 28 on Black Harness with Pin 47 on Brown Harness
4- Coded (used this link: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.p...3&postcount=87)
* I couldn't manually change 20 to 04 so I hit the drop-down box and found something that said "04 - European golf blah blah blah" <---- Was that the right thing to do?!?

5- Went to install LEDs, opened box and one of em was busted so I was like oh and went back to VAG, hit that drop-down box again and set it to what it was before (I think 18 or 20).

Anyhow, problems are:

1- Drivers side reverse light is lit all the time
2- With Euro switch in OFF position - No DRLs or anything is lit up (I thought DRLs were supposed to be on?)
3- With Euro switch in PARKING or ON positions - DRLs are on but dimmed

Can you help?

The LED tails didn't get installed because one of em had a missing male screw.

Just installed my tails WITH Fog but I forgot to get some more repair wires so im still at 20 for byte 18 and just dealing with the bulb out warning for now. Anyway I had a non working left blinker and non working right reverse light. The cause was the damn harnesses....one of the pins was pushed out when I plugged them in so I just unpligged, shoved the pin back into the connector and held it as I plugged the stock connector form the car in. BTW mine were from ECS