GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Battery Time!

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Well my battery is finally not holding a charge - was curious if anyone has a recommendation other than just going to your local place and picking up something that is "gold" standard or whatever.\

(car is stored in the winter w/trickle charger so something that is not daily driven if that matters)

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
I got the Deka ETX18L on Amazon for ~100 bucks and it is awesome. Many people recommend the Deka ETX 16L.

Beyond those, I see a lot of folks acquiring the Braille B2015.

If it's not daily driven and you don't mind throwing it on the charger here and there, only money holds you back. Braille has some stupid lightweight batteries. BECAUSE RACECAR.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Went with the Braille B2618 from Autoanything.com - offered free shipping.

The mount I bought from Amazon didn't quite fit so in the meantime I did a nice little zip-tie down job that appears to work.

Battery is obviously extremely light compared to OEM, started right up. I ran some monitoring on the charge, everything appears to check out. I could definitely feel the weight reduction as I now accelerate faster and would definitely beat a v10 R8 off the line now. ;)

In any case, its a nice cost if you want a little upgrade, but don't want to spend an insane amount, or still live in a cold environment. This is a weekend driver, non-winter driver, so works out. (Photos have trickle charger attached)

Orient Express

Ready to race!
I recommend Interstate Batteries. You can get them either from your local Interstate store, or at Costco. Perfect fit, and great warranty.

One caveat, make sure you have a battery maintainer or aux battery connected to you car's electrical system before you remove the main battery so that you don't loose all of the settings for your car, especially the default settings for the TPMS.

Most settings will recalibrate themselves, but the TPMS needs it's default settings manually reset with a VagCom, and they are in bar not psi.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I recommend Interstate Batteries. You can get them either from your local Interstate store, or at Costco. Perfect fit, and great warranty.

One caveat, make sure you have a battery maintainer or aux battery connected to you car's electrical system before you remove the main battery so that you don't loose all of the settings for your car, especially the default settings for the TPMS.

Most settings will recalibrate themselves, but the TPMS needs it's default settings manually reset with a VagCom, and they are in bar not psi.

I believe VW use these as their OEM or used to as well. If you go this route, in some models, if you go to the dealer it can actually be cheaper than buying interstate at retailer.

Thanks for the TPMS info - I had mine go off, but after fill to regular pressures, it seemed to be just fine.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I believe VW use these as their OEM or used to as well. If you go this route, in some models, if you go to the dealer it can actually be cheaper than buying interstate at retailer.

Thanks for the TPMS info - I had mine go off, but after fill to regular pressures, it seemed to be just fine.

did you ever figure out the battery mount?

Randum

Go Kart Champion
did you ever figure out the battery mount?

I might go for the Braille brand mount - but my plan is to mount to the battery tray as I've seen before.

I want to find someone selling their extra battery enclosure so I can test it out but I'll post pictures when I get it done. For the time being the zip ties seem to be very secure and it doesn't move. I went and drove around a little aggressively without any issue. SO in a crunch, if you have some heavy duty zip ties, there are plenty of points to tie it down without issue.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I might go for the Braille brand mount - but my plan is to mount to the battery tray as I've seen before.

I want to find someone selling their extra battery enclosure so I can test it out but I'll post pictures when I get it done. For the time being the zip ties seem to be very secure and it doesn't move. I went and drove around a little aggressively without any issue. SO in a crunch, if you have some heavy duty zip ties, there are plenty of points to tie it down without issue.

My friend has a wrecked mk5 gti nasa racecar in his garage, the battery tray is in tact, I'm sure he'd sell it. I'll link him here