GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removeal Catback

beetlegreg

Ready to race!
Are there any tricks to getting the sleeve clamp on the catback to slide on a car with a few miles on it 28,000. thanks g

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
PB blaster and plenty of it. Use a small pry bar to open the sleeve a little bit, then a rubber mallet if you have to.
This, and hit it with a torch if you have access to one. Even a propane torch would help.

Once you get the bolts undone it helps to completely remove them and slide the clamps off of the sleeve so they don't squeeze on the sleeve. Removing the clamps can be difficult since they are located by a small detent on the side opposite the bolt. Use a pry bar or similar to spread/hold the clamps open while you slide them off.

pdan

Ready to race!
I cut it off with an angle grinder after I got frustrated with all the rust ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
This, and hit it with a torch if you have access to one. Even a propane torch would help.

Once you get the bolts undone it helps to completely remove them and slide the clamps off of the sleeve so they don't squeeze on the sleeve. Removing the clamps can be difficult since they are located by a small detent on the side opposite the bolt. Use a pry bar or similar to spread/hold the clamps open while you slide them off.

but be quite carfeul as you are very close to the fuel lines... :23:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Every thing suggested works great, BUT in severe case (not everyone has a torch hot enough) the use of an angle grinder (always wear eye protection) to cut the rusted pieces of clamp, then pry bar to open and remove. An air chisel works wonders as well for all exhaust work, once you use the air chisel you never go back.

Last edited: