GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

slowgti08

Ready to race!
2011 with 83k miles here. Just found this thread today and I'm freaking the eff out. Afraid to drive my car to work tomorrow. What is the average price to get this issue fixed?

Youre in NNJ so i would say just for tensioner, anywhere from 700-950$. For the whole timing chain service ( Chains Guides etc ) it'll be anywhere from $1400-1600 dollars.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Youre in NNJ so i would say just for tensioner, anywhere from 700-950$. For the whole timing chain service ( Chains Guides etc ) it'll be anywhere from $1400-1600 dollars.

DAP just put up a really good video on changing this yourself. As long as you have jack stands and a jack you can do it. I think the most obscure tool required is short 12 point bits that can be had for $30 on amazon and the crank pulley counterhold tool. Overall can probably do the job in like 3 hours, and that's taking your time.

edit: YouTube Link

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
DAP just put up a really good video on changing this yourself. As long as you have jack stands and a jack you can do it. I think the most obscure tool required is short 12 point bits that can be had for $30 on amazon and the crank pulley counterhold tool. Overall can probably do the job in like 3 hours, and that's taking your time.

edit: YouTube Link

Dap Repair here, yes a few different timing related videos lately. The most current one is being edited and will be out soon. It shows us with a tsi doing chains with the engine out of the car. It will be detailed however is not a diy. Most people are still iffy about doing the whole chain job themselves whereas the tensioner only is relatively easy. Here's a link related to tsi timing info.
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/timing-chain-tensioner-and-chain-issued-for-2-0t-tsi-vw-and-audi-models.html

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Dap Repair here, yes a few different timing related videos lately. The most current one is being edited and will be out soon. It shows us with a tsi doing chains with the engine out of the car. It will be detailed however is not a diy. Most people are still iffy about doing the whole chain job themselves whereas the tensioner only is relatively easy. Here's a link related to tsi timing info.
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/timing-chain-tensioner-and-chain-issued-for-2-0t-tsi-vw-and-audi-models.html

There is actually a good thread in the DIY section that just got made about timing chains. I'll be adding to it hopefully Sunday since i'm starting my chains tomorrow. The DAP video on the tensioner is definitely the best one for getting to the actual chains, then I posted another video that shows chains, tensioner, and guide getting changed very clearly with good explanation. I'm gonna try to remember all the torque values used and put them in the post so people don't have to dive into the manuals to pull them out.

chrisPR

In 2014, post #374, my car suffered the timing chain issue, which cost me a couple of thousand dollars to fix. Recently a friend mentioned the class action against VW, and after a quick search I contacted Steve Webster at Webster Book to get more information. He was able to submit a claim to VW, and after a few week they were able to get VW to repay me the cost of the fix. Recommend talking to them if the repair bill wasn't your only expense, or the issue happen after 60k miles - like mine. Also, VW pays for their fee.

Last edited:

Jaytk

Passed Driver's Ed
In 2014, post #374, my car suffered the timing chain issue, which cost me a couple of thousand dollars to fix. Recently a friend mentioned the class action against VW, and after a quick search I contacted Steve Webster at Webster Book to get more information. He was able to submit a claim to VW, and after a few week they were able to get VW to repay me the cost of the fix. Recommend talking to them if the repair bill wasn't your only expense, or the issue happen after 60k miles - like mine. Also, VW pays for their fee.
Anyone know of there's a class action for the same in Canada?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

ApexScooby

I have the bad tensioner in my car 2012 gti dsg and I'm getting it replaced hopefully this week. I have 72k miles on my car now. Will VW still repay me fore the repairs and how do I go about claiming it if so?

Dubbinj

Passed Driver's Ed
https://m.imgur.com/a/1KRuNIe

Official statement from VW

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Documents evidencing the Settlement Class Member's good-faith adherence to the relevant aspects of the vehicle maintenance schedule during the time he/she owned the Settlement Class Vehicle, in particular, scheduled oil changes, up to the date/mileage of repair/replacement, within a variance of 10% of the scheduled time/maintenance requirements (e.g. if oil changes are required for your vehicle every 5,000 miles, you must have had the oil change no later than 500 miles past the recommended oil change requirement). However, in the event maintenance records cannot be obtained despite a good-faith effort to obtain them, the Settlement Class Member may submit a sworn declaration detailing what efforts were made to obtain the records, why the records are not available, and attesting to adherence to the vehicle maintenance schedule and, in particular, scheduled oil changes, up to the date/mileage of replacement/repair, within the variance set forth above. You can download and print the Vehicle Maintenance Declaration document here.

Well that's gonna be fun...

Looks like the best I'm gonna get back is gonna be about 40 or 50% of $1650. I'll take it, but I don't really document my oil changes, so that part kinda worries me.

Last edited:

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
This PDF guide on the tensioner is a very good guide. Its very thorough:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4oXXxLJzvEEVTNZRjhjVEJ5VGM/view

This youtube video shows a complete chain replacement on an Audi TSI. Longitudinal but same concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihEegHWaYM

I also followed the ELSA manual instructions. These were my 3 most used resources when I did my chain.

Thanks. I was using my local library online Chilton's manual (which sucks but is free). Glad you shared this.

All these post about vwoa maybe passing people back sounds like a lot of hassle and would rather just do it myself at this point. Doesn't look hard, just time consuming and I'm in no rush.

My valves didn't kiss the pistons, so all I need to do is literally a timing chain job.

What's y'all's thought on just replacing the actual tensioner and reuseing the chain? It shipped about 5 teeth but doesn't look damaged :iono:

joefix413

Replace the chain!!!!! You are in there.... replace it!!!!! Mine had stretched about an 1/8” at 130k miles but they have updated the link design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Replace the chain!!!!! You are in there.... replace it!!!!! Mine had stretched about an 1/8” at 130k miles but they have updated the link design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alright, never done this before or anything like it. pretty much the most in depth was a turbo swap ha.

ill order a chain for sure then :thumbsup:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
alright, never done this before or anything like it. pretty much the most in depth was a turbo swap ha.

ill order a chain for sure then [emoji106]
It's really not bad, just triple check everything is lined up and you'll be good.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
All these post about vwoa maybe passing people back sounds like a lot of hassle and would rather just do it myself at this point. Doesn't look hard, just time consuming and I'm in no rush.

Well at this point you can't be reimbursed since today is the cut off date. I'm guessing VW will just replace it for you for free now, but still waiting for their announcement I think...supposed to be a statement from them today.