GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trigger Wire Install From Hell

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm having some strange issues with the trigger wire install. I've searched the forums for an answer, but I believe my problem could be unique.

Last week I got my euro-switch installed. The trigger wire installation came a few days later. The problem I have came when connecting the trigger wire. I just plugged one end of the trigger wire into the euro switch connector. It went in just fine. I even heard the official "click." After a little more effort I was able to get the other end of the trigger wire into the number 19 terminal attached to the computer module (I think this is the right term, most know what I mean). While I was plugging this end into the computer module, the end of the trigger wire that goes into the euro switch connector popped out. When I went to re-insert the wire into the euro switch connector, it would only go half way into the terminal. I tried for about 30 minutes to get this in before breaking the end of the trigger wire off. The next day I went to VW and they gave me the trigger wire for free (Good work VW service department, ECS wants to bone us with the 20 dollar price after shipping). I presumed something broke off of the original trigger wire head after it was dislodged for the 1st time. Having some level of confidence, I went back to the euro-switch connector to make sure the new trigger would fit properly. It did not. The same thing happened. It would go about half way into the terminal and get stuck. I'm lost for a solution. I'm beginning to believe there may be a problem with switch connector itself. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Additionally, I got my DRLs dissabled and the rear LED taillight out error turned off through my mechanic using vagcom. I have the OEM LEDs and my rear left reverse light always turns on when my lights are on. When and if I manage to get the trigger wire installed properly, will that turn off the reverse light? My OEM LEDs do not have a fog light.

Anyone have some advice? Thanks in advance!

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like improper coding by the vagcom dude... Read up a lil more I seem to remember that you have to put ina code and then change it to something else... Search Byte 18 and R tails and you should find it...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like improper coding by the vagcom dude... Read up a lil more I seem to remember that you have to put ina code and then change it to something else... Search Byte 18 and R tails and you should find it...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Heartagram. I'll be looking for the coding answers. It seemed strange. In the back of my mind I had hoped that the trigger would fix it, but it didn't seem right.

tamz273

Ready to race!
Hey CRSmooth... I just installed my trigger wire. I think I know what your issue is. When you try to insert the trigger wire into the connector, you have to undo the top half of the connector. If you look at the side of the connector, you'll notice that theres a flap that closes and then clicks into place. Is you take something sharp (small flathead) and pry that open, you will see a flap pop open. The flap is part of the connector and only one side of it comes of.

Once the flap is open, you can slide the trigger wire all the way in, hear click, and then close the flap again. Make sure you close the flap all the way and push down till you hear it click.

Sorry I dont have any pictures, but if your comfortable with doing mods, you should be able to figure out what Im talking about.

Hope that helps, and good lock!

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey CRSmooth... I just installed my trigger wire. I think I know what your issue is. When you try to insert the trigger wire into the connector, you have to undo the top half of the connector. If you look at the side of the connector, you'll notice that theres a flap that closes and then clicks into place. Is you take something sharp (small flathead) and pry that open, you will see a flap pop open. The flap is part of the connector and only one side of it comes of.

Once the flap is open, you can slide the trigger wire all the way in, hear click, and then close the flap again. Make sure you close the flap all the way and push down till you hear it click.

Sorry I dont have any pictures, but if your comfortable with doing mods, you should be able to figure out what Im talking about.

Hope that helps, and good lock!

Tamz, that may just do it! I'll have to mess around with it after work. I'll let you know what happens. So pumped!

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
That's exactly what happened on my end too - you pop the top off and voila, it slides right in.

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't solved the problem yet. I haven't had time to really rip it apart. I took a quick look at it the other day (without any prodding tool) and I couldn't really figure out the where the tab is located. I'm sure I just need to invest some more time.

The fact that others have had the same issue or what sounds like the same issue is def a confidence booster. Unfortunately I'll have to wait another day...It's raining pretty hard in NH right now. I'll report back when I get a chance to open this thing up.

Pics are welcome!

ilovebrunch

Ready to race!
Come up to VT this weekend. slush.puppie and I are having a lighting extravaganza and we for sure could get that fixed up!

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
ilovebrunch, Where in VT are you guys? Burlington? I don't know if I can swing an all-day adventure, but it sounds fun! What are you planning to do specifically? I'll let you know my lighting issue status later this week.

tamz273

Ready to race!
Ill be in Boston if its closer for you to swing down this way.. Youd be surprised how quick you can get that tab fixed.. Shoot me a PM if your considering coming down here.. Might be doing beers and mods with some buddies on sunday if my sway bars and FMIC come in..

ilovebrunch

Ready to race!
ilovebrunch, Where in VT are you guys? Burlington? I don't know if I can swing an all-day adventure, but it sounds fun! What are you planning to do specifically? I'll let you know my lighting issue status later this week.

Yeah we're in Burlington and if you need any vagcom stuff done slush.puppie has hooked me up a ton. This weekend I've dubbed lighting 2.0, haha. We both just installed euro switches and preran them for the rear fogs and wired them for the parking lights. This weekend we should both have our euro tails in and I'm doing the 2012 led xenons and he is doing hid fogs I believe. Anytime you want to head up this way for a day let me know. I'm sure your issue is a simple fix. If you don't get it shoot me a pm and let me know where your at with it.

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
Haven't solved the problem yet. I haven't had time to really rip it apart. I took a quick look at it the other day (without any prodding tool) and I couldn't really figure out the where the tab is located. I'm sure I just need to invest some more time.

The fact that others have had the same issue or what sounds like the same issue is def a confidence booster. Unfortunately I'll have to wait another day...It's raining pretty hard in NH right now. I'll report back when I get a chance to open this thing up.

Pics are welcome!

Check out this post for DIY of the Euroswitch. Go to page 3, post 73/74. It will show you how to open the light switch harness to insert the trigger wire.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Switch-to-run-parking-lights-(MkVI-GTi)/page3

This link has the coding for the LED tail lights. Check it out:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog

Good luck. :thumbsup:

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah we're in Burlington and if you need any vagcom stuff done slush.puppie has hooked me up a ton. This weekend I've dubbed lighting 2.0, haha. We both just installed euro switches and preran them for the rear fogs and wired them for the parking lights. This weekend we should both have our euro tails in and I'm doing the 2012 led xenons and he is doing hid fogs I believe. Anytime you want to head up this way for a day let me know. I'm sure your issue is a simple fix. If you don't get it shoot me a pm and let me know where your at with it.

ilovebrunch, are you close to downtown? The last time I was up there, probably 2 years ago, I saw a local 20120 Candy White GTI with either VW Glendales or Karthoums wheels parked steetside. Are you familiar with this guy?

lighting 2.0 sounds tight. Remember, don't puff before you play with wiring. Shit gets rough and takes twice as long. lol. Good luck this weekend. If I wasn't pegged down by the gf, it would have been a good day trip.

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Ill be in Boston if its closer for you to swing down this way.. Youd be surprised how quick you can get that tab fixed.. Shoot me a PM if your considering coming down here.. Might be doing beers and mods with some buddies on sunday if my sway bars and FMIC come in..

Tamz, thanks for the offer. I'm in Portsmouth so I'm just an hour away. I think my problems are going to be cleared up after taking a look at that vortex link you guys were kind enough to share. It really is simple fix like you said. Do you have get togethers in Boston frequently?