GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 08-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #1639
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglis View Post
Dap Repair here, yes a few different timing related videos lately. The most current one is being edited and will be out soon. It shows us with a tsi doing chains with the engine out of the car. It will be detailed however is not a diy. Most people are still iffy about doing the whole chain job themselves whereas the tensioner only is relatively easy. Here's a link related to tsi timing info.
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/ti...di-models.html
There is actually a good thread in the DIY section that just got made about timing chains. I'll be adding to it hopefully Sunday since i'm starting my chains tomorrow. The DAP video on the tensioner is definitely the best one for getting to the actual chains, then I posted another video that shows chains, tensioner, and guide getting changed very clearly with good explanation. I'm gonna try to remember all the torque values used and put them in the post so people don't have to dive into the manuals to pull them out.
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:56 PM   #1640
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
This PDF guide on the tensioner is a very good guide. Its very thorough:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4o...hjVEJ5VGM/view

This youtube video shows a complete chain replacement on an Audi TSI. Longitudinal but same concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihEegHWaYM

I also followed the ELSA manual instructions. These were my 3 most used resources when I did my chain.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #1641
chrisPR
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GTI
In 2014, post #374, my car suffered the timing chain issue, which cost me a couple of thousand dollars to fix. Recently a friend mentioned the class action against VW, and after a quick search I contacted Steve Webster at Webster Book to get more information. He was able to submit a claim to VW, and after a few week they were able to get VW to repay me the cost of the fix. Recommend talking to them if the repair bill wasn't your only expense, or the issue happen after 60k miles - like mine. Also, VW pays for their fee.

Last edited by chrisPR; 08-21-2018 at 07:24 AM.
chrisPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #1642
Jaytk
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisPR View Post
In 2014, post #374, my car suffered the timing chain issue, which cost me a couple of thousand dollars to fix. Recently a friend mentioned the class action against VW, and after a quick search I contacted Steve Webster at Webster Book to get more information. He was able to submit a claim to VW, and after a few week they were able to get VW to repay me the cost of the fix. Recommend talking to them if the repair bill wasn't your only expense, or the issue happen after 60k miles - like mine. Also, VW pays for their fee.
Anyone know of there's a class action for the same in Canada?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Jaytk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #1643
ApexScooby
Ready to race!

Drives: MK6 GTI
I have the bad tensioner in my car 2012 gti dsg and I'm getting it replaced hopefully this week. I have 72k miles on my car now. Will VW still repay me fore the repairs and how do I go about claiming it if so?
ApexScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #1644
Dubbinj
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW
https://m.imgur.com/a/1KRuNIe

Official statement from VW

Last edited by Dubbinj; 08-27-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Dubbinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #1645
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Documents evidencing the Settlement Class Member's good-faith adherence to the relevant aspects of the vehicle maintenance schedule during the time he/she owned the Settlement Class Vehicle, in particular, scheduled oil changes, up to the date/mileage of repair/replacement, within a variance of 10% of the scheduled time/maintenance requirements (e.g. if oil changes are required for your vehicle every 5,000 miles, you must have had the oil change no later than 500 miles past the recommended oil change requirement). However, in the event maintenance records cannot be obtained despite a good-faith effort to obtain them, the Settlement Class Member may submit a sworn declaration detailing what efforts were made to obtain the records, why the records are not available, and attesting to adherence to the vehicle maintenance schedule and, in particular, scheduled oil changes, up to the date/mileage of replacement/repair, within the variance set forth above. You can download and print the Vehicle Maintenance Declaration document here.
Well that's gonna be fun...

Looks like the best I'm gonna get back is gonna be about 40 or 50% of $1650. I'll take it, but I don't really document my oil changes, so that part kinda worries me.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors

Last edited by sterkrazzy; 08-27-2018 at 10:44 PM.
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #1646
tehred5pade

Drives: cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
This PDF guide on the tensioner is a very good guide. Its very thorough:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4o...hjVEJ5VGM/view

This youtube video shows a complete chain replacement on an Audi TSI. Longitudinal but same concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihEegHWaYM

I also followed the ELSA manual instructions. These were my 3 most used resources when I did my chain.
Thanks. I was using my local library online Chilton's manual (which sucks but is free). Glad you shared this.

All these post about vwoa maybe passing people back sounds like a lot of hassle and would rather just do it myself at this point. Doesn't look hard, just time consuming and I'm in no rush.

My valves didn't kiss the pistons, so all I need to do is literally a timing chain job.

What's y'all's thought on just replacing the actual tensioner and reuseing the chain? It shipped about 5 teeth but doesn't look damaged
tehred5pade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:32 AM   #1647
joefix413
Ready to race!

Drives:
Replace the chain!!!!! You are in there.... replace it!!!!! Mine had stretched about an 1/8 at 130k miles but they have updated the link design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
joefix413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #1648
tehred5pade

Drives: cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefix413 View Post
Replace the chain!!!!! You are in there.... replace it!!!!! Mine had stretched about an 1/8 at 130k miles but they have updated the link design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alright, never done this before or anything like it. pretty much the most in depth was a turbo swap ha.

ill order a chain for sure then
tehred5pade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #1649
smanierre

Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehred5pade View Post
alright, never done this before or anything like it. pretty much the most in depth was a turbo swap ha.

ill order a chain for sure then
It's really not bad, just triple check everything is lined up and you'll be good.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #1650
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehred5pade View Post
All these post about vwoa maybe passing people back sounds like a lot of hassle and would rather just do it myself at this point. Doesn't look hard, just time consuming and I'm in no rush.
Well at this point you can't be reimbursed since today is the cut off date. I'm guessing VW will just replace it for you for free now, but still waiting for their announcement I think...supposed to be a statement from them today.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #1651
Dubbinj
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW
Got a thread going on the GTI subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/com...vice_writer_i/

So far it seems like there are two options...

1. Your tensioner failed and you had it fixed prior to 8/28. They will reimburse you if you provide all of the necessary paperwork.
2. Your tensioner has NOT failed yet. You have until 100k miles/10 years for it to fail and have your busted engine fixed.

Unbelievable. Thanks for everything VW. Bunch of hacks.
Dubbinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #1652
Gino

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI
Dove into this yesterday after finding out it is up and running. 23 pictures and one long word document containing my service history mapped out have been submitted. Maybe now I will be one of the first few to get compensated I did self oil changes and just provided proof of oil and filter purchases. I had to only be missing like one oil filter I couldn't find to be linked to an oil change.
Stratified Ported&Polished APR K04 | Dual Nozzle SnowPerformance W/M | MFactory LSD | IntegratedEngineering CAI | BillyBoat TBE | Neuspeed Discharge/Charge/FMIC/IC Delete..FSB/RSB..RSe11 w/Michelin PSS | 034 Motor/Trans/Dogbone Intsert+Mount | ECS CatchCan/BoostTap | Koni Coilovers (WestEnd Corner Balance) | Unibrace XB/UB | Whiteline F/R Endlinks | Brembo 17z/Hawk Street/StainlessLines | TyrolSport SLC | OEM LED Tails [Click4List]
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote