GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Golf R suspension

Krawlinyj

Just bought a 2013 R and it has the Bilstein coilovers and shocks. It is a pretty stiff ride and sits a bit too low for me as we live in snow country. I had the ride height adjusted but that just made it ride even stiffer. I am considering going back to stock suspension for a better ride. I commute about 60 miles one way to work and would like to be a little more comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to drop a ton of money on airbags or any of that.

OlderSlower

I love my Koni's. My R is a daily driver. Coil overs in snow country tend to rust and need replacement after a couple years. My Koni's drop the car a bit, they handle well and are still fine for all around driving. My .02

M@GN1F1SH1t

I am so close to going back to stock springs after Neuspeed spring install. The lower is minimal but ride is harsh. I did order Koni Yellow and hoping that helps the ride with new springs. Missing the stock ride feel though.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I have Koni Sports with stock springs on my GTI. I'd describe them as smooth. Not as smooth as the OEM Sachs dampers when they were new, but still quite comfortable.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I'm on VWR springs over Bilstein B6 and I love it. It's firm, but still comfortable.

When I first installed them the ride was a bit harsh, but after the shocks got broken in it's perfect.

bebersol

Ready to race!
Just bought a 2013 R and it has the Bilstein coilovers and shocks. It is a pretty stiff ride and sits a bit too low for me as we live in snow country. I had the ride height adjusted but that just made it ride even stiffer. I am considering going back to stock suspension for a better ride. I commute about 60 miles one way to work and would like to be a little more comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to drop a ton of money on airbags or any of that.

I run a stock suspension with the tyrol sport deadset kit and a xbrace. I like this setup because it takes the flex and slop out of the chassis and allows the suspension for work as designed.

Phil0814

Do you have a pic of one of the coilover setups? What model is it?

I have a 2013 Golf R on fully stock suspension and am looking for a coilover setup.

OlderSlower

Beware of coilovers if you are going to drive in any snow, rust is not your friend...