GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone replaced their subframe mount without a press?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The one for the dogbone. Mine is totally shot and i'm getting terrible clunking sound on accel and decel. I ordered a new upper and lower for it. Has anyone had any success getting these in without a press?

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
Yes, just cut it in half with chisel and hammer and it comes right out. The upper one is a subframe removal though.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yes i'm planning to drop the subframe and sawzall them out but what about getting OEM ones back in? I've read it can be very difficult.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
Just make sure you lube it well and use a big hammer and piece of wood. It's a bitch, but will go in just fine. I have a press at work and use the hammer method still.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I tried, but the new OEM style pucks (Rein) were slightly bigger than the ones that came out. This is likely due to age and being pressed in for 5+ years. Even with a press I gave up and just put in the Racingline poly upper/lower.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I tried, but the new OEM style pucks (Rein) were slightly bigger than the ones that came out. This is likely due to age and being pressed in for 5+ years. Even with a press I gave up and just put in the Racingline poly upper/lower.

Damn I bought a rein upper and corteco lower (legit oem manufucter)

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Damn I bought a rein upper and corteco lower (legit oem manufucter)

I remember All Data had a special VW tool/sleeve for installing replacement bushings. I'm sure I could have figured it out, but I wanted to upgrade.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
I remember All Data had a special VW tool/sleeve for installing replacement bushings. I'm sure I could have figured it out, but I wanted to upgrade.
Here's the official tool

mtomaska

I have done this about year ago on my CC (same stuff) in my garage without the press.

Removed old insert with chisel and dremmel cutting attachment.
I used dremmel again to smooth walls of the subframe.
I purchased rein upper and lower insert. They are bit wider so i used dremmel with sanding disc to shave down the whole circumfrance by 1-2mm.
I made a circle out of sheet metal which matched circumfrance of the insert. In addition, i drilled a hole through it so i could use old OEM bolt to hold both top + bottom + metal circle together.
Lube it all up.
Lastly used 4lb hammer to slowly and evenly push the new insert in. By push i mean hammering on the metal sheet circle.
Took good 2 hours just to push the insert into the subframe but I was happy since i did not have to remove the subframe.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have done this about year ago on my CC (same stuff) in my garage without the press.

Removed old insert with chisel and dremmel cutting attachment.
I used dremmel again to smooth walls of the subframe.
I purchased rein upper and lower insert. They are bit wider so i used dremmel with sanding disc to shave down the whole circumfrance by 1-2mm.
I made a circle out of sheet metal which matched circumfrance of the insert. In addition, i drilled a hole through it so i could use old OEM bolt to hold both top + bottom + metal circle together.
Lube it all up.
Lastly used 4lb hammer to slowly and evenly push the new insert in. By push i mean hammering on the metal sheet circle.
Took good 2 hours just to push the insert into the subframe but I was happy since i did not have to remove the subframe.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! Good solution but man what a pain. I've been searching around on the web and have seen everyone almost universally say its a HUGE PITA with many just giving up and putting in aftermarket mounts which I want to avoid since I hate the NVH. My mounts came in just need to find a good day to attempt this.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
What a huge pain. I couldnt get them in even with sanding them and grease. I ended up having to cut a ~1-2mm notch in the plastic ring with a hacksaw then hammering them in the subframewith a 4lb hammer and a block of wood which was even tough with the cuts. Took me ~2 hours start to finish including reinstalling subframe.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Also it ended up not fixing my issue FML. The mounts were pretty old though. Ive had a pop clunk sound coming from subframe or engine bay for over a month when accelerating from a stop or suddenly pressing gas or letting off and coasting, its pretty annoying. I video taped my engine movement when shifting to reverse or driving and moving a bit and noticed a lot of engine movement. I tried replacing the driver mount which was like 2 years old but didnt work. Noticed a lot of slop in the old subframe mount so I just replaced that. My trans side mount is only like 2 years old too. Years ago I used to get subframe clunk but added shims and it went away, it sounds kind of similar though. I can pull out my trans side mount and inspect it I guess next. Its driving me crazy though.

I saw my driver cv axle boot as a small hole and is leaking grease which will need to be replaced soon so that might be another cause, it sounds more like from subframe area though.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Could it possibly be you down pipe mount? I assume your mounts could be ripped, happened to me.