GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
VW Steve
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5
Cloth on driver's seat

The cloth fabric on my driver's seat has lasted better than the cloth on my old Mk4's driver's seat, but I have recently noticed some light fraying on edge of the left bolster. Also, the left cushion bolster is all caved in - is that common with Mk6 Golf seats. Any advice on where to take it for repair before it gets worse? I assume a dealership could do something with it, but maybe an auto upholstery shop is better.

I have to make a mental note to use a brush instead of a crevice tool next time I vacuum my car, though I don't think a crevice tool is the reason for my cushion bolster!
VW Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
Short Bus
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
My bolsters have held up great, but I have had some light fraying on the “door side” bolster. I took a fabric shaver to it and it cleaned up nicely. It still looks like a well used seat, but it’s holding up very well.

As for the bolster, I was poking around on a VW dealership’s parts site earlier and it looks like they still sell the foam pieces for the seats. Although this may be something you can get an independent auto upholstery shop to do for you.
Short Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 155k+
The left bolster takes a beating because it's where you get in and out. If you want it to last, try a good upholstery shop. They can use better foam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Get all mods done pre marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
VW Steve
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
My bolsters have held up great, but I have had some light fraying on the “door side” bolster. I took a fabric shaver to it and it cleaned up nicely. It still looks like a well used seat, but it’s holding up very well.

As for the bolster, I was poking around on a VW dealership’s parts site earlier and it looks like they still sell the foam pieces for the seats. Although this may be something you can get an independent auto upholstery shop to do for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
The left bolster takes a beating because it's where you get in and out. If you want it to last, try a good upholstery shop. They can use better foam.
Thanks for the advice, both!

Here's a picture of the frayed area on my side bolster, for the record. I circled the frayed spot. This looks like something I may be able to clean up with a fabric shaver.

I've tried to get in and out without pressing against the backrest bolster, but I think that's physically impossible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0006.JPG (135.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Wascally Wabbit
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
This is a common issue on the MK6 although I think the newer ones hold up better. I had a 2010 MK6 TDI and the seat frayed badly in that area very quickly and this was a common complaint on the TDI forums. My current MK6 is a 2012 and the seat has held up much better. You can buy new OEM covers for the top and bottom separately I believe and then it is easy for a shop to install.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
VW Steve
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
This is a common issue on the MK6 although I think the newer ones hold up better. I had a 2010 MK6 TDI and the seat frayed badly in that area very quickly and this was a common complaint on the TDI forums. My current MK6 is a 2012 and the seat has held up much better. You can buy new OEM covers for the top and bottom separately I believe and then it is easy for a shop to install.
Good to know! Thanks!