GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

U102F CEL help!!

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Got my radiator replaced last Friday. Both CELs are gone and I can now pass emissions.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Reviving an old thread, I see you can just replace the sensor if you're lucky enough to find the sensor alone. I've been searching and searching just for a sensor because these codes as previously stated come on much more often when it's warm outside. This winter I did not get a code once. I've had my front mount on for about 2 years now and I deleted the oem intercooler as well and have the delete brackets in place. I guess 2 years after this sensor finally decided to crap out. I don't want to replace the whole radiator because if I do I'm going to upgrade to full aluminum and forget about the damn sensor. So where have you guys had luck getting just a sensor(besides buying it from Russia). Junkyard? Full part out totaled vehicles? Thanks

jjm51

Ready to race!
Did you ever just find the sensor?

Reviving an old thread, I see you can just replace the sensor if you're lucky enough to find the sensor alone. I've been searching and searching just for a sensor because these codes as previously stated come on much more often when it's warm outside. This winter I did not get a code once. I've had my front mount on for about 2 years now and I deleted the oem intercooler as well and have the delete brackets in place. I guess 2 years after this sensor finally decided to crap out. I don't want to replace the whole radiator because if I do I'm going to upgrade to full aluminum and forget about the damn sensor. So where have you guys had luck getting just a sensor(besides buying it from Russia). Junkyard? Full part out totaled vehicles? Thanks

MeanGreenGTI; did you ever find just the sensor? I am currently in the same exact situation. I'm trying to avoid buying a whole new radiator to just replace this sensor.

Thanks for any reply.

Hey guys! So my mk6 GTI is going basically through the same thing with fault code u102f and u1030. It comes on and off, usually depending on the temperature as someone stated previously. I was wondering if anyone ended up finding a place to easily get the sensor. I would rather try that first rather than changing out the whole radiator. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys! So my mk6 GTI is going basically through the same thing with fault code u102f and u1030. It comes on and off, usually depending on the temperature as someone stated previously. I was wondering if anyone ended up finding a place to easily get the sensor. I would rather try that first rather than changing out the whole radiator. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Check post #162 of this thread for info. You can buy the sensor with a Mercedes part # and splice in the OEM VW connector from the old sensor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362311095083?ul_noapp=true

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Reviving this older thread since I now see that you can find 8P4965873A at a few online VW/Audi parts stores.

Has anyone else tried just swapping in the sensor to save the $100 or so buying a full radiator replacement? I suppose that if the radiator fails (I'm at 70k-ish miles on my 2012 GTI) that I should just spend that extra $100 really but I'm curious since they do sell the sensor separately now.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Reviving this older thread since I now see that you can find 8P4965873A at a few online VW/Audi parts stores.

Has anyone else tried just swapping in the sensor to save the $100 or so buying a full radiator replacement? I suppose that if the radiator fails (I'm at 70k-ish miles on my 2012 GTI) that I should just spend that extra $100 really but I'm curious since they do sell the sensor separately now.
Before the sensor was available from VW some people found the same sensor for purchase from Mercedes. People spliced it to the VW connector and it worked no problem. The advantage is not having to fully remove the radiator and refill/bleed the coolant system.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Before the sensor was available from VW some people found the same sensor for purchase from Mercedes. People spliced it to the VW connector and it worked no problem. The advantage is not having to fully remove the radiator and refill/bleed the coolant system.

Thanks. I did see that Mercedes sensor swap fix. Someone also said that the sensor is causing a CEL and so would be related to the federal EPA 8yr/80K emissions warranty if I took it to the dealer. Unfortunately dealers are saying that I'll need to agree to a $250 diagnosis fee to verify the codes. I understand its standard procedure to start work on the car but is way too steep if they end up arguing its not covered by the federal warranty. Not sure I want to risk end up getting stuck paying for their diagnosis when I know what's wrong.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. I did see that Mercedes sensor swap fix. Someone also said that the sensor is causing a CEL and so would be related to the federal EPA 8yr/80K emissions warranty if I took it to the dealer. Unfortunately dealers are saying that I'll need to agree to a $250 diagnosis fee to verify the codes. I understand its standard procedure to start work on the car but is way too steep if they end up arguing its not covered by the federal warranty. Not sure I want to risk end up getting stuck paying for their diagnosis when I know what's wrong.
They should cover it under the emissions warranty. As long as you don't have any aftermarket parts or reasons for them to deny warranty I'd try to get them to cover it.

That being said, all VW dealers I've gone to have asked for authorization for 1hr of labor @ $120 for diagnosis. That $250 is very steep. I'd ask them if they can do it for 1hr of labor.

Just so you know the emissions warranties are a pain in the ass for dealers and they don't like doing the paperwork for them. The responsibility falls on the dealership to prove to VWOA that the repair work is required in order to get reimbursed.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
They should cover it under the emissions warranty. As long as you don't have any aftermarket parts or reasons for them to deny warranty I'd try to get them to cover it.

That being said, all VW dealers I've gone to have asked for authorization for 1hr of labor @ $120 for diagnosis. That $250 is very steep. I'd ask them if they can do it for 1hr of labor.

Just so you know the emissions warranties are a pain in the ass for dealers and they don't like doing the paperwork for them. The responsibility falls on the dealership to prove to VWOA that the repair work is required in order to get reimbursed.

Right now I'm stage 1 APR tuned with the stock intake. My car has been there before for warranty repairs so it's probably flagged in their system. They've been good to me and have honored warranty repairs regardless but it's always a crapshoot. Do you think with my car the way it is they'll cover it still?

The only other aftermarket parts on the car that are easily seen are a boost gauge and that the car is lowered with aftermarket wheels. I would think that a radiator sensor that is causing a CEL and potential smog check issues wouldn't be correlated to a car being tuned for performance ... but I've heard crazier stories on what service departments argue for reasons to deny warranty claims.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Right now I'm stage 1 APR tuned with the stock intake. My car has been there before for warranty repairs so it's probably flagged in their system. They've been good to me and have honored warranty repairs regardless but it's always a crapshoot. Do you think with my car the way it is they'll cover it still?

The only other aftermarket parts on the car that are easily seen are a boost gauge and that the car is lowered with aftermarket wheels. I would think that a radiator sensor that is causing a CEL and potential smog check issues wouldn't be correlated to a car being tuned for performance ... but I've heard crazier stories on what service departments argue for reasons to deny warranty claims.
Hard for me to say because every dealer is different. I would have a frank conversation with their service manager. Tell them exactly what is done to the car and then ask if it will invalidate an emissions warranty claim. Some things may be VWOA rules that can't be bent while others are up to the dealer. Without understanding those finer points I can't tell you for sure.