GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 13 CSG GTI DSG, Sunroof & NAV
Activating European Variable Light Distribution

Hi all, after searching through a bunch of auto-scans on the Ross-Tech website, I stumbled across an auto scan of a European Spec Golf Mk6 with the adaptive Xenon headlights. I decided to input the coding from his headlight range module into my US spec Mk6 GTI and 'lo and behold the European Variable light distribution was activated and the headlights have much better beam patterns and move more quickly. If you want to try this yourself, I changed my coding in the 55-Headlight Range module from 1446940 to 1442908. After you accept the coding, you will need to make sure your car is on a level surface so you can perform the basic settings to initialize the headlight position. Let me know if you have any questions! This is confirmed to work on 2012-2013 Golf's with Bi-Xenons and LED DRL.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 155k+
Pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Get all mods done pre marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Blakcard
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
guess it's too late for a before vid.. post an after to show what you mean?
Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

Activating European Variable Light Distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
guess it's too late for a before vid.. post an after to show what you mean?

I could try to post a video but it would be hard to see on camera. Here is a photo from BMW explaining what it does. Of course we donít have the high beam assist part and the cornering lights will have to be enabled via the CECM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 CSG GTI Integrated Engineering Stage 1 ECU, DSG w/ IE Tune, APR Carbon Intake, Sunroof, RNS-510, AFS Bi-Xenons, R20 LED Tails, Euro Alarm Siren, Climatic, Euro Rear Footwell lights, Euro Door exit lights, Clear Side markers, RLS, RVC and Euro High-Beam Assist
OEM Euro Headlight Washers coming soon!

Last edited by StorminNorman; 08-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

I will also add that I have not tested this coding in a car that is not equipped with a rain/light sensor and automatic headlights. It should work without one but I do not have proof that it will.

2013 CSG GTI Integrated Engineering Stage 1 ECU, DSG w/ IE Tune, APR Carbon Intake, Sunroof, RNS-510, AFS Bi-Xenons, R20 LED Tails, Euro Alarm Siren, Climatic, Euro Rear Footwell lights, Euro Door exit lights, Clear Side markers, RLS, RVC and Euro High-Beam Assist
Old 08-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
gotta try this later, thanks for sharing
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | APR DP | Magnaflow | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 Mounts | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 | VERUS |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

This also activates the option of Travel Mode which is to be used when driving on the left side of the road e.g. England. It adjusts the lights so you do not blind traffic coming from the right.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Tony48
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI / K04 / 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
I will also add that I have not tested this coding in a car that is not equipped with a rain/light sensor and automatic headlights. It should work without one but I do not have proof that it will.

Worked for my car which doesn't have a rain/light sensor or automatic headlights. I didn't do a before & after direct comparison but it seems to have worked to increase range and beam pattern.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
Worked for my car which doesn't have a rain/light sensor or automatic headlights. I didn't do a before & after direct comparison but it seems to have worked to increase range and beam pattern.

So glad to hear it worked for you! I noticed at speeds slower than 25 mph the driverís side headlight beam points to the left so you can see off to the side of the road more. That way you can spot pedestrians/animals easier.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #10
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

Just ordered the parts needed to retrofit the European-only High Beam assistant. Will report back if I am successful

Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #11
thecreeper

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
I made this change this weekend, not sure I can notice a difference though - one thing I noticed is that when I check Travel Mode in the MFI menu, I get a bulb out error. Is that expected?

I used this to initialize the lights after I made the change:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17328

Did I miss something?
thecreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #12
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Hi all, after searching through a bunch of auto-scans on the Ross-Tech website, I stumbled across an auto scan of a European Spec Golf Mk6 with the adaptive Xenon headlights. I decided to input the coding from his headlight range module into my US spec Mk6 GTI and 'lo and behold the European Variable light distribution was activated and the headlights have much better beam patterns and move more quickly. If you want to try this yourself, I changed my coding in the 55-Headlight Range module from 1446940 to 1442908. After you accept the coding, you will need to make sure your car is on a level surface so you can perform the basic settings to initialize the headlight position. Let me know if you have any questions! This is confirmed to work on 2012-2013 Golf's with Bi-Xenons and LED DRL.
For the basic settings you refer to, is this in the link thecreeper just posted above?
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #13
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper View Post
I made this change this weekend, not sure I can notice a difference though - one thing I noticed is that when I check Travel Mode in the MFI menu, I get a bulb out error. Is that expected?

I used this to initialize the lights after I made the change:

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17328

Did I miss something?

Bulb out error on travel mode is normal for the first 30 seconds or so. Itís so you donít use it when itís not necessary because it blinds other motorists.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
StorminNorman
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
For the basic settings you refer to, is this in the link thecreeper just posted above?

Yes. Just do the vag-com part of that link.