GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
So I jacked up the car to install the Vibrant J-spacer today. The O2 sensor threaded in perfectly onto the J-spacer, but the male threads on the J-spacer would not thread onto my downpipe - they were bigger and it started to strip the threads. I thought O2 threads were standard and not divided by SAE/metric, but I guess I was wrong. I ordered the 11619 spacer and I guess this one is SAE. Shame on me, I guess.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I thought O2 threads were standard and not divided by SAE/metric, but I guess I was wrong. I ordered the 11619 spacer and I guess this one is SAE. Shame on me, I guess.

I thought that also! I'll remember that if/when I need to get a spacer. Thanks for the info.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
When I was down there, the 1, 2, 3, 4 on the harness side corresponded to blue, white, brown yellow. The 1, 2, 3, 4 on the sensor side corresponded to white, white, grey, black.
You're a life saver is that the OEM sensor?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
You're a life saver is that the OEM sensor?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

As far as I know, yes. The tip looks like it's been there for 8 years, at least.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm scratching my head at this O2 spacer issue. As far as I've been able to research, there is no SAE/metric split for O2 sensors - they're all M18x1.5. But that Vibrant spacer would not thread onto my APR DP.
My O2 sensor threads perfectly, with no resistance onto the DP. The O2 sensor threads perfectly, with no resistance onto the Vibrant spacer. Yet when I went to thread the Vibrant spacer into the DP, no way; those threads were definitely larger. I was getting massive resistance after just 3/4 of a turn.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'm scratching my head at this O2 spacer issue. As far as I've been able to research, there is no SAE/metric split for O2 sensors - they're all M18x1.5. But that Vibrant spacer would not thread onto my APR DP.
My O2 sensor threads perfectly, with no resistance onto the DP. The O2 sensor threads perfectly, with no resistance onto the Vibrant spacer. Yet when I went to thread the Vibrant spacer into the DP, no way; those threads were definitely larger. I was getting massive resistance after just 3/4 of a turn.

I mean the pipe gets hot, maybe the threads are warped

torga

Autocross Champion
I mean the pipe gets hot, maybe the threads are warped
Sure, but why would the O2 sensor itself thread perfectly into both the DP and the spacer? That's what I don't get, otherwise I'd be willing to believe that the threads were warped.
I had no issues with the post-turbo O2 sensor or the pre-cat O2 bung - they both threaded in like butter. Only with this Vibrant spacer did I have problems. I threaded for another 1/3 - 1/2 turn after the first 3/4, then removed it, and it was starting to strip the bung threads. I only stopped turning because it was flat-out refusing to let me thread more. Tell-tale steel shaving on the Vibrant spacer threads. It had to have been a different thread size.
I ordered what looks to be a knock-off version of the J-spacer, but it explicitly says that it's M18x1.5. So we'll see this weekend.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Sure, but why would the O2 sensor itself thread perfectly into both the DP and the spacer? That's what I don't get, otherwise I'd be willing to believe that the threads were warped.
I had no issues with the post-turbo O2 sensor or the pre-cat O2 bung - they both threaded in like butter. Only with this Vibrant spacer did I have problems. I threaded for another 1/3 - 1/2 turn after the first 3/4, then removed it, and it was starting to strip the bung threads. I only stopped turning because it was flat-out refusing to let me thread more. Tell-tale steel shaving on the Vibrant spacer threads. It had to have been a different thread size.
I ordered what looks to be a knock-off version of the J-spacer, but it explicitly says that it's M18x1.5. So we'll see this weekend.
Compare the male threads of the O2 sensor to the male threads on the J spacer to ensure they are the same. If you line them up with one another they should mesh together. You could also compare thread size/pitch by taking the jam nut off the J spacer and making sure it threads onto the O2 sensor.

Or you could just buy the real deal (not knockoff) from vibrant and have no issues :iono:

torga

Autocross Champion
Compare the male threads of the O2 sensor to the male threads on the J spacer to ensure they are the same. If you line them up with one another they should mesh together. You could also compare thread size/pitch by taking the jam nut off the J spacer and making sure it threads onto the O2 sensor.

Or you could just buy the real deal (not knockoff) from vibrant and have no issues :iono:
I should have been specific. Buying the knock-off is only a hopeful solution - it'll be here on Wednesday. I bought the real deal first, and this is what I'm dealing with.
I tried comparing threads in the way you describe, but the threads are too far back from the sensor tip for both male threads to mesh.
I didn't try to thread the jam nut onto the O2 sensor, so I'll try that this weekend while I'm down there.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Gonna attempt to add a connector back to my rear o2 sensor this weekend since it's just wires right now. Anyone on here know of a good kit to get for re-pinning a connector? Also I can't seem to find the actual connector that sits on the car side. I want to do it right this time so I don't have to worry about it again.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2014 with cloth plaid seats. While detailing the interior this weekend I noticed that the passenger seat lumbar support seemed broken. The lever was only all the way up, or all the way down, does this seem right? It definitely works differently than the driver seat, is that normal, or is mine broken?

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone see the sale USP is having today? Get 40% from your purchase back as a gift card. That's a sick deal, I'm just sketched out by the conditions and whether I'd actually get the gift card.

torga

Autocross Champion
Anyone see the sale USP is having today? Get 40% from your purchase back as a gift card. That's a sick deal, I'm just sketched out by the conditions and whether I'd actually get the gift card.
I got the email a bit ago, and the T&C says the sale already ended lol. Says 14:00 EST, today.

Edit: Never mind, that's just what the email says. On the site, it says 'til tomorrow at 10:00 EST.

And there are two more sales until the end of the week, once this one's over. Not a bad deal...

Blue K04

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2014 with cloth plaid seats. While detailing the interior this weekend I noticed that the passenger seat lumbar support seemed broken. The lever was only all the way up, or all the way down, does this seem right? It definitely works differently than the driver seat, is that normal, or is mine broken?

I also have plaid seats and my passenger seat lumbar works just like the drivers seat, the lever stops wherever I want it.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I also have plaid seats and my passenger seat lumbar works just like the drivers seat, the lever stops wherever I want it.

Damn, another interior piece broken on this car. That makes the hatch latch, window switch, and lumbar support, all within less than 3 months. The lumbar support is probably going to be the trickiest to fix too.

Thanks for confirming for me, Blue.