GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 died at light

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Hard to say from that pic but I have a couple guesses. Not uncommon to have the screen in the cam bridge fail causing screen particles to clog up oil passages causing catastrophic failure of the balance shafts and other components leading to a shitload of metal shavings in the engine. Oil pressure light is usually a symptom too. Check out this pic of TSI balance shafts. That little part at the end of the left one looks very similar.....

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/balance-shaft-repair-set/06h198205n/

Yes, that does look like it.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
The car still runs fine which is weird. If it was balance shaft would the car still run?
Im about to ground the oil light and trade it in while still runs

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
There's an updated revision of the cam bridge. Do you know if they put one in when you got your timing done? Earlier ones had a weak oil strainer with a plastic shroud that broke up. Seems like this happens a lot actually and the lucky ones that screen breaks off in one piece and doesnt get clogged in anything.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Advice? Still runs good minus oil pressure. Trade in for golf r?
Could this have been left loose during timing chain?

Uberryan

Banned
Take it back to where you got the timing chain tensioner done and show them what you found and what you suspect it is and they might check it, or you can probably check it fairly easily. Either way, it doesn't look good, bud.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Take it back to where you got the timing chain tensioner done and show them what you found and what you suspect it is and they might check it, or you can probably check it fairly easily. Either way, it doesn't look good, bud.

Well, its living on borrowed time. Think im going to trade it in while its still alive. Ideally i would buy a beater and rebuild the motor.
But..i am looking at getting a 2015 golf R. Any known issues with them?
Hard to beleive that peice just broke off, looks like that bolt just backed out. The flange wobbled around for awhile before snapping off.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I wpuld have to pull the timing chain cover off to see everything, unless there is an easier way?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I had the option and wifes permission to get an R. I have decides to keep my 11 and pull the motor and rebuild. I am going to buy a honda cash today for my daily.
Since i wont be in a time crunch i can study up on the engine and go from there. I had plans for this car k04 anyway and have too much invested to trade in for 4k$
Any advice or things i should be scared of? Should i pull the crank as well and put in new mains? Now that i will have another daily i can go nuts with this build.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Might be easier to just put in a new engine. But of course id still would want to check to see what happened inside of it

Like a low mileage? I want the bottom and top end to be solid. Dont kniw what these cranks can hold? These fuckers are a lot if maintenance for sure. Why not just build what i have? Too much work/ cost ect..i really only trust what i touch.

Uberryan

Banned
I would start by checking on the timing chain side and see if this was due to negligence. bolts don't just unscrew themselves... they're left loose. You said you just had the timing chain tensioner done, and many suspect this is a part of that. Start there. If you have enough reason to suspect shop negligence, I would ask they cover the repair or look into a lawyer.