GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 x 8 Wheel Fittment

M.K

Hey Everyone;

I have a set of 17 x 8 ET40 BBS RF's that i had on my MK4 Jetta. Now they will be going on the GTI (sitting on Bilstiens w/ H&R Springs). I am in the process of getting the adapters and now im trying to find out the adapter thickness i should go with to make sure they sit nice with a bit of poke.

I've read that the lowest offset for our cars with no rubbing issues or modification is ET40. Is this true?

I usually get my adapters from Adaptec and they told me the minimum thickness is 15mm. I just don't want to purchase adapters and later on find out they don't sit the way i want them to. If anyone running adapters or have similar wheel specs i would appreciate if you can post pics of your car and also any advise or recommendations would be great to hear.

Cheers

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
What tires are you planning to run? I know i have run 18x8.5 +35 with 225/40 .. stock (but tired) suspension.. full gas tank with 3 people over 200 lbs and i only just slightly rubbed on a deep bounce on tje highway. No fender screw mod. Lock to lock no rubbing..

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
18x8.5, ET 45 is usually the "go to" setup for these cars when lowered with 225/40/18 or 235/40/18 tires.

With the wheels you have...they'd be sitting at the same spot. Factor in the adapters at the minimum 15mm, you're now poking 15mm more than the typical wheel setup....it'd rub unless you run some smaller tires, which might look goofy (IMO) just sitting on lowering springs.

Sell them and buy new/better fitting wheels, IMO

Last edited:

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I was forced to get ET38 to clear my brakes. They rubbed over large bumps at first with my VWR springs, but the fender screw mod took care of that.

M.K

18x8.5, ET 45 is usually the "go to" setup for these cars when lowered with 225/40/18 or 235/40/18 tires.

With the wheels you have...they'd be sitting at the same spot. Factor in the adapters at the minimum 15mm, you're now poking 15mm more than the typical wheel setup....it'd rub unless you run some smaller tires, which might look goofy (IMO) just sitting on lowering springs.

Sell them and buy new/better fitting wheels, IMO

i know that i will be poking 15mm. the challenge is finding the right poke. the tires i have on are 205/45/17 I just don't want to get the wrong thickness and end up getting rid of them later on. It looks like i am gonna have to sketch this in CAD.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Well yeah you can definitely put smaller tires on them and get them to clear, BUT it's gonna look goofy since the lowering springs won't drop it enough to close the fender gap for the visual look...if you're concerned about that

You might want to consider some coil overs or air ride to get you lower, if you go that route (IMO)

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie