GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Self Revving during Idle

icloudfiles

Passed Driver's Ed
Cleaned MAF sensor and air filter today. Problem remains. Ordered a new PCV valve. Will report back once installed.

icloudfiles

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed new PCV and no dice.. its self revving to 2000 rpm now.. FML.. and idle is super rough and engine was shaking and making knocking noise.. I also get a CEL this time P2279 P0507 and P0301,2,3,4.

Still holds boost and pulls nicely. At shop at mo...will update.

icloudfiles

Passed Driver's Ed
FML!! its a the rear main seal thats busted. Thats causing the vacuum leak. Gonna bite the bullet and have them replace it. While they have the tranny out im going to have them change the TOB as well. kinda tired of the squeal it makes form time to time.

icloudfiles, did you still have the Rev hang/self Rev issue after replacing the rear main? I've got a 2012 GTI with the APR 3" catless turbo back and APR stage 2 intake. Went for a600 mile cruise today and mine started having the Rev step/Rev hang/self Rev issue around the 500 mile mark. All help would be much appreciated.

Smokey1

Hello guys and gals,

Well first off, I purchased a mk6 GTI a year ago and I've put about 8500 miles on it. I have done some small mods here and there. These mods include ECS mk6 intake(http://www.ecstuning.com/News/VW_Vo..._silicone_2010_2011_2012_2013_2014/ES2739920/, milltek tbe, and a cecm swap(for bi-xenon retrofit). All was swell for a year and then this last month happened...

I'm currently at a loss for words for what is happening with my car. When my car is in neutral or idling(going from a gear to neutral, etc.), my car would self rev from about 9000rpms and up to 1900 rpms at times(sometimes a bit lower). As it lowers back to 900-1000rpms from a higher rpm, it would stagger three times or so, or in another way, it ticks three times before it goes back down to 900-1000rpms. This problem only happens intermittently so sometimes it doesn't do this in idle, but its becoming more and more frequent. Additionally, this problem is not throwing any codes at all and no check engine light.From what I gathered online, it seems like its potentially a vacuum leak caused by failure of the pcv or a leak in the re-circulation to the dv.

Now the other issue I have is since my car is still under warranty, I bought it to the dealer to get my self revving issue checked out. At the time I brought it to the appt, my car was somewhat behaving and did not have that self revving issue. They took my car for a drive and they felt like it was fine. They also scanned my car and no codes, no check engine light so they informed me that there is no blaring issue with the car. Therefore, nothing was done to my car.

Also assuming that it was my pcv, I did purchase a catch can that I intended to install and this was just by coincidence that I purchased this at about the same time as my pcv potentially failing. I literally have no idea where to go from here. Should I get the problem fixed before I install the catch can and bring my car to another dealer? Or should I just skip the dealer and just install the catch can to see if it fixes the problem?

All advice is welcomed 👍 Thanks for reading errbody.

#mk6problems
I had exactly the same problem with my gti. I’ve built petrol and diesel engines from scratch, repaired petrol and Diesel engines and for 10 years I was a breakdown mech but this hunting foxed me. In the end i took it into my oppos garage where I have my MOTs done. Without even looking at it he said he’s 95% certain it will be the water temperature sender. He connected his laptop and he was proved right. £25 later the hunting had stopped