GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Since we're talking about control arms...if you pull the control arm out to replace the bushings do you need an alignment? or is it possible to replace the front and rear bushings without removing it from the ball joint? I'm guessing the front would be easy, but I feel like I could find a way to press the rears out/in with a c-clamp.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Since we're talking about control arms...if you pull the control arm out to replace the bushings do you need an alignment? or is it possible to replace the front and rear bushings without removing it from the ball joint? I'm guessing the front would be easy, but I feel like I could find a way to press the rears out/in with a c-clamp.
You don't really need an alignment after pulling the front control arms. There's no adjustment on those like in the rear. It would be very difficult to get the oem front bushing out of the control arm while it's still on the car. The rear bushing you could get off easily with leaving the control arm attached

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You don't really need an alignment after pulling the front control arms. There's no adjustment on those like in the rear. It would be very difficult to get the oem front bushing out of the control arm while it's still on the car. The rear bushing you could get off easily with leaving the control arm attached

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ah, alright I thought the 3 bolts at the bottom had a little bit of wiggle room. I assumed it was similar to my old mk4.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Anyone ever have an issue with the trunk lock randomly opening? Recently it's been opening randomly, maybe twice a week and its really annoying.

Tifore

Ready to race!
Buy a downpipe and step up to APR stage 2... or VWR Subframe Upper and Lower Mount, APR Dogbone and Tyrolsport Deadset Kit to finish out the mounts on the car and then save again for DP / Stage 2 later.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Anyone ever have an issue with the trunk lock randomly opening? Recently it's been opening randomly, maybe twice a week and its really annoying.
Could be a grounding issue? Maybe the remote is shorting out causing it to unlock the trunk?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Buy a downpipe and step up to APR stage 2... or VWR Subframe Upper and Lower Mount, APR Dogbone and Tyrolsport Deadset Kit to finish out the mounts on the car and then save again for DP / Stage 2 later.

I would say mounts before hand, will help a lot putting that power to the ground. From what I understand, the VWR is a solid mount so be ready for a pretty large increase in NVH once installed.

Tifore

Ready to race!
I would say mounts before hand, will help a lot putting that power to the ground. From what I understand, the VWR is a solid mount so be ready for a pretty large increase in NVH once installed.

Ive got plenty of NVH as it is with the 034 Street Density Trans / Engine Mount and SuperPro Street Dogbone Insert.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Ive got plenty of NVH as it is with the 034 Street Density Trans / Engine Mount and SuperPro Street Dogbone Insert.

lol. nvh is subjective.

My car rattles your teeth out. 034 street mounts feel like a cadillac to me.

bfi stage 2 motor/trans, 034 billet pendulum, hpa subframe mount, 95a poly bushings all around on the suspension

smanierre

Autocross Champion
lol. nvh is subjective.

My car rattles your teeth out. 034 street mounts feel like a cadillac to me.

bfi stage 2 motor/trans, 034 billet pendulum, hpa subframe mount, 95a poly bushings all around on the suspension

Definitely. I don't mind if my car rattles like crazy as long as it's solid and puts the power down as good as possible. I know others aren't the same though.

Tifore

Ready to race!
oh it hooks. I drove my buddies relatively stock car the other day, I literally forgot what wheel hop was until then.

I can only imagine. Doing the Street Density Engine and Motor mounts as well as the superpro insert and bilstein b8's made a huge difference but now I feel like I need more and just need to sort out the order. I just dont wanna go stage two and end up breaking stuff.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
mine rattled at first when i got BFI stg1 mounts and a pendulum mount. now it's not bad, or i am just getting used to it....

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
mine rattled at first when i got BFI stg1 mounts and a pendulum mount. now it's not bad, or i am just getting used to it....

NVH definitely decreases . i feel like my car has less NVH cause oem mounts were so worn they were actually worse.