GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Good friend has a gtx3076r with a .86 housing. It's Andres old car that did 599whp. I will say this, the powerband is outright abysmal. Full spool is like 5200rpms, so anything other than a flatfoot redline shift and you're dopping out of the powerband. It's really fast once in power, but it's not exactly enjoyable to drive.

I'd lower your power expectations about 80whp, and stick with a 3071r. You may actually enjoy driving it then.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Good friend has a gtx3076r with a .86 housing. It's Andres old car that did 599whp. I will say this, the powerband is outright abysmal. Full spool is like 5200rpms, so anything other than a flatfoot redline shift and you're dopping out of the powerband. It's really fast once in power, but it's not exactly enjoyable to drive.

I'd lower your power expectations about 80whp, and stick with a 3071r. You may actually enjoy driving it then.

Gen 2? Or original GTX? Because the Gen 2’s are totally different.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
My plan is to go with a gen 2, whether it be the 76 or the 71. If I can get a reliable 525-550 from a GTX3071 gen 2 that would be sweet, but I guess it isn't sounding like that will be possible.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Gen 2? Or original GTX? Because the Gen 2’s are totally different.

Gen 2s have a different compressor wheel, the turbine is the same. I believe it's a gen 1, but on a .86 housing, neither will spool decently. That being said i had a 3071r gen 2 on my MKV TSI, started with a .82 housing, went to the .64 just to make it somewhat quick around town. The larger housing on the 3071 was spooling around 4900rpms, smaller was 4k.

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Gen 2s have a different compressor wheel, the turbine is the same. I believe it's a gen 1, but on a .86 housing, neither will spool decently. That being said i had a 3071r gen 2 on my MKV TSI, started with a .82 housing, went to the .64 just to make it somewhat quick around town. The larger housing on the 3071 was spooling around 4900rpms, smaller was 4k.

What power were you getting out of the gen 2 3071 with the different housings?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Planning on a full build and a 3076 at first with a goal of ~600 but don't feel like building the transmission for that extra 75 hp. If the 71 cant get there i'll go with the 3076, just wanted to get the power on as early as I can since the 76 will probably be pretty high up there by the time it comes in.

Pretty tough to get a quick spooling and high HP both. I started off with similar intentions but intend to track the car (road course) so I chose to go with a small frame turbo and tune it so max power is well within its efficiency range so I enjoy as wide a power band as possible and also have something I can beat on all day at the track without burning it up. Wherever the max dyno power ends up is no longer driving the build. They will be tuning the car in the next couple of weeks, will let you know how it turns out.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Pretty tough to get a quick spooling and high HP both. I started off with similar intentions but intend to track the car (road course) so I chose to go with a small frame turbo and tune it so max power is well within its efficiency range so I enjoy as wide a power band as possible and also have something I can beat on all day at the track without burning it up. Wherever the max dyno power ends up is no longer driving the build. They will be tuning the car in the next couple of weeks, will let you know how it turns out.

What turbo are you going with? The goal is a car that will be good on the track, Limerock will probably be the main one with Watkins Glen every once in a while. I'll probably just end up with the gen 2 3071 and get it tuned so it's not being pushed to the limits constantly and just see where that puts me.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
There’s diminishing returns on how much quicker spool and torque onset can be. It’s FWD. There’s no grip to handle the torque spike. Can’t use that power anyway. My 2971 is pretty much there. Top of 2nd spins. Holds through 3rd and up on street tires.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
There’s diminishing returns on how much quicker spool and torque onset can be. It’s FWD. There’s no grip to handle the torque spike. Can’t use that power anyway. My 2971 is pretty much there. Top of 2nd spins. Holds through 3rd and up on street tires.

I wish they'd make the g25 in a t25 housing, or at last give the 29 series a gen 2 refresh. It would be right there with the EFR setups with tighter packaging.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I wish they'd make the g25 in a t25 housing, or at last give the 29 series a gen 2 refresh. It would be right there with the EFR setups with tighter packaging.

They do. It’s sitting on my bench.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It becomes a bit confusing now, G series, GTX GEN2, EFR series, which one is the best for us?!

From my understanding, GTX is just the revamped version of the GT series turbos, and the GEN 2s are revamped versions of the GTX turbos. EFR is just one of Borg Warners lines so they are totally different from any of Garretts. It really does depend on what you want. If you just want to make 700hp and dont care if your powerband is 500 RPM then you can slap a massive gt35xx turbo on there, but if you want good power and an early spool, a 2971/6 will probably be the better option.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Well I'll be damned, but a .49 housing is freakin tiny. Thats only available in the 550 right? If so i bet it spools like a k04.