GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dead HVAC Blower - 2012 Golf R

fahrvergnuugen

Passed Driver's Ed
The HVAC blower in my 2012 Golf R decided to stop working 2 days ago. It was intermittent at first, now it doesn't seem to work at all.

The lights on the fan control light up and the status updates on the touch screen, so I'm thinking it might be the blower itself. Already checked fuses - none are blown. Do these cars have a blower motor resistor the way older cars had?

ben_m

Ready to race!
If it's intermittent try the fan relay. Its a well known issue with G35's. Its a 3 prong plug that usually goes on the fusebox (in my case on the back side of the fuse opposite of the AC fuse. It's a quick fix and turned my A/C back into an artic blowing champ.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
I actually saw this thread when I started researching this issue. The blower motor resistors for dual climate control are much more than $2. The $2 fix will work for units that have the 1-to-4 fan speed setting.

I just took my motor out and lubed it....So it is working again but i do not know how long it will continue to work....I am not sure if the brushes are low or that there is friction so that the motor cannot over come it....
Anyway, with the climatronic, there appears to be a module that varies the voltage to change the speed of the motor and no resistor pack....Anyway, I will cost a motor from vw and see how expensive it is.....

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
happened to my GTI, all the hvac controls work but the fan wasn't blowing the air out, i litterally kicked the fan a few times (its right behind the glovebox, beside the cabin air filter) once i kicked it a couple times it started right up and has been working no joke. ordered a new one online but have been to lazy to change it out.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
I priced one out at a dealer and it is over $500 for a fan assembly with the resitor module.....But you can just buy the resistor module for $200.....Cannot just buy the fan....

Again, I lubed mine up a bit and it has worked fine so far....