GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

clownish

just clowning around
Would a half cage do anything or those really just for looks ? Do they just do the same as a harness bar but slightly more safe?

On a slightly off topic note, my buddy snapped a picture of a gorgeous Porsche Cayenne GTS towing some Jet Skis the other day. That would be a rad tow vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Would a half cage do anything or those really just for looks ? Do they just do the same as a harness bar but slightly more safe?

Mixed feelings on them honestly. I am researching them because I really want different seats and a harness/hans setup and the only way to do that safely is with a cage and whatnot. I'm not convinced the mounting points on those bolt in half roll bars are sufficient in the event you did roll over. They mount to the floor using some big steel plates, but I have a feeling they would rip right through the thin sheet metal of the floor under any load. I dunno maybe I"m just being paranoid. I used to be an insurance adjuster and had to study crash data/crush points on cars. This prior knowledge is probably working against me for this subject. I'd really like to see one of these companies making them invest in some crash data to prove their product but that's big money and these small players aren't doing it.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
^ this

im not sure what the mounting points look like but id definitely advise welding the contact points at the very least if possible

Eowyn89

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Having a kid changed track day auto-x for me. It's harder to make it out to events but I am hoping to get a few in this year. Cars are pretty well setup for them. I also plan on towing to central florida and Georgia tracks next year more than likely. I like the comfort of knowing I can get the car home if something happens.

Add me to the list of people that don't tow their car to the track. My usual track (VIR) is about 170 miles from the house. If I need a tow home, I'd either use my AAA membership (max of 200 mile tow) or use my trackday insurance policy.

Ironically, I didn't really start getting into trackdays until we had our kids a few years ago. Now we go to the track, camp, and make a weekend out of it. My wife usually drives separately so she can come/go whenever she wants regardless of the event schedule.

jay745

Ironically, I didn't really start getting into trackdays until we had our kids a few years ago. Now we go to the track, camp, and make a weekend out of it. My wife usually drives separately so she can come/go whenever she wants regardless of the event schedule.

I don't have kids but I do the same. Usually make a weekend of it. I love camping on the track. I bring my girlfriend and dog with, they both love it too. Although I did have to adapt a bit and find more track days that allow passengers in the car so she could come with while I'm on the track.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah camping at the track is a good ol time, did it once this year. would be nice if was not 38 and storms. will be doing more this year.

Gonna try to do a mix of camping and hotel, NCM is so close to nashville might as well check it out with an air BNB.

Bought my tent for what a hotel for the night would cost. 10/10

Hilton seems to be the winner when it comes to rewards points

clownish

just clowning around
^ this

im not sure what the mounting points look like but id definitely advise welding the contact points at the very least if possible

Mixed feelings on them honestly. I am researching them because I really want different seats and a harness/hans setup and the only way to do that safely is with a cage and whatnot. I'm not convinced the mounting points on those bolt in half roll bars are sufficient in the event you did roll over. They mount to the floor using some big steel plates, but I have a feeling they would rip right through the thin sheet metal of the floor under any load. I dunno maybe I"m just being paranoid. I used to be an insurance adjuster and had to study crash data/crush points on cars. This prior knowledge is probably working against me for this subject. I'd really like to see one of these companies making them invest in some crash data to prove their product but that's big money and these small players aren't doing it.

Sounds logical to me. They still seem attractive because you retain some daily usage and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Oh wow

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Just get a good quality (i.e. tyrolsport) harness bar. That's all you really need to safely wear harnesses. You don't need racing seats to wear a hans/helmet, but it certainly helps keep your ass planted in the seat. My left leg is still sore from the last autocross from bracing myself against the door hahaha.

In terms of welding vs bolt in cages, if you're gonna go the cage route, just do it right and weld it. Leave the bolt in cages for the car show kids.

It also won't hurt to have some kind of fire suppression. If you wreck and you're stuck in the car while it's on fire, you're in deep shit even with a fire suit. Especially on a long track (like Palmer), response time can be 60-90 seconds before they can get to you. Just pull the pin, flip the switch and you're golden.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
^
have you tried putting a pad on the foot well to the side your knee/leg hits? have seen them in miatas

jay745

Just get a good quality (i.e. tyrolsport) harness bar. That's all you really need to safely wear harnesses. You don't need racing seats to wear a hans/helmet, but it certainly helps keep your ass planted in the seat. My left leg is still sore from the last autocross from bracing myself against the door hahaha.

In terms of welding vs bolt in cages, if you're gonna go the cage route, just do it right and weld it. Leave the bolt in cages for the car show kids.

It also won't hurt to have some kind of fire suppression. If you wreck and you're stuck in the car while it's on fire, you're in deep shit even with a fire suit. Especially on a long track (like Palmer), response time can be 60-90 seconds before they can get to you. Just pull the pin, flip the switch and you're golden.

Reason I don't like those harness bars is because they attach to a crush point and one could argue if that point crushes then what's holding you in place? I'm sure they are fine for a small accident, but a roll over I think they'd do more harm than good.

Another thing I really dislike about tyrolsport specifically is how they dodge the questions on safety testing. I've reached out to them several times asking them questions and they won't give any clear answers other than "it's fine send us your money" Pretty shady if you ask me.

I do have a fire extinguisher in the car mounted to the passenger seat. I'd like to step it up to a fire suppression system that sprays the engine bay as well. I'd end up piecing the kit together myself most likely.