GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
mental health.. its a huge huge huge dark cloud issue.

Definitely true.

And it's tough. I watched a fascinating TED talk a few days ago by this brain imaging researcher guy. Fascinating. In it, he stated, "Mental health is the ONLY medical practice where we do not physically LOOK to diagnose. We only rely on TALK."

He's right.

I have some close family with MH issues. It's scary, and fascinating, all at the same time. Our brain is just a bunch of chemicals and electrical signals. All of it. Thoughts, feelings, motor controls.... just chemicals and electrical signals. Little chemical here, little more there... and boom, we see a cow. A little bit more somewhere else, we hear an engine running.

There is such a stigma around MH, nobody wants to be labeled a "crazy person". So they hide it. And since there is nothing for docs to LOOK at... it's easy to hide.

And with medication and treatment - it can work - but only if the patient is honest!

So we have to walk a fine line between trampling on people's rights, vs. their mental health. Nobody wants to tackle it so they go after the easier thing: ban guns.

Once they do that, it'll be just like the UK: ban knives.

Meanwhile those who are truly ill and out of control are going to resort to killing people with sporks.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
I think social media also plays a big role, since what you're seeing is literally children shooting their peers...

They get bullied online, makes them miserable irl. Sees guns as a form of empowerment. Uses guns to kill people. Lots of factors tbh.

I agree with most things posted here doe, mental health, parenting, social media, technology, etc... Guns are just unfortunately the tool used in all these scenarios. Can't talk about the real issues because it's harder to solve the real issues vs just blaming something that everyone already perceives as evil.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Definitely true.

And it's tough. I watched a fascinating TED talk a few days ago by this brain imaging researcher guy. Fascinating. In it, he stated, "Mental health is the ONLY medical practice where we do not physically LOOK to diagnose. We only rely on TALK."

He's right.

I have some close family with MH issues. It's scary, and fascinating, all at the same time. Our brain is just a bunch of chemicals and electrical signals. All of it. Thoughts, feelings, motor controls.... just chemicals and electrical signals. Little chemical here, little more there... and boom, we see a cow. A little bit more somewhere else, we hear an engine running.

There is such a stigma around MH, nobody wants to be labeled a "crazy person". So they hide it. And since there is nothing for docs to LOOK at... it's easy to hide.

And with medication and treatment - it can work - but only if the patient is honest!

So we have to walk a fine line between trampling on people's rights, vs. their mental health. Nobody wants to tackle it so they go after the easier thing: ban guns.

Once they do that, it'll be just like the UK: ban knives.

Meanwhile those who are truly ill and out of control are going to resort to killing people with sporks.

Would vote for Frank/P-car guy 2020.

Re: the bolded part... I laughed so hard when I first read about this. I honestly couldn't believe it.

Last edited:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Well the gun is just a convenient method of killing.
If knives offered the same luxury this would be a knife issue. I think this is more a mass effectiveness issue and not so much people hating guns

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jaber

Modero
Well the gun is just a convenient method of killing.
If knives offered the same luxury this would be a knife issue. I think this is more a mass effectiveness issue and not so much people hating guns

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In the past year, seems some of these mass shooters have tried to use bombs. One was caught a while ago, before being able to carry out the shooting/bombing. He wanted to set off a bomb first, because he knew that would be the best way to get the highest kill count.

clownish

just clowning around
That throw is completely off, the catcher has to stand up to make the catch lol. Relevant gif is relevant.

Would still like to see her pitch. [emoji851]

Guns decisive to the point they took away our emoji. [emoji379] I don't know.

Seems like we are seeing a natural backlash to the cultural perception of technological increase in the US. See political elections. See dubyas analysis of voting trends. See analysis of children and gun trends. See rust belt trends away from university/white collar/technology jobs and toward "maker" jobs.

I like cars because they make me smile. And I can bury my head in the sand for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Would still like to see her pitch. [emoji851]

And I can bury my head in the sand for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahahaha yes.

Screw the gun stuff though, what's up with these people trying to get me in trouble for not using their pronouns? Da hell. Shit, be whatever you want, but don't arrest me for using the wrong pronoun. JK just talking shits.

I hope to do some racing tonight...it's been a while. Got a buddy with a cammed E85 5.0 mustang and another friend with a cammed ATS-V. I think I got a bottle of gap sauce for them...

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Just putting this out there...

more recently trucks have been used for terrorist weapon of choice.

I dont see people wanting to ban assault trucks...

TLDR:
Are we setting up a "guns arent really that bad, convince me we're wrong " booth ? :iono:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
In4Gaps&Faps

I grew up with guns. They do make it very convenient lol. Trucks, rofl.

I’m gay.

Yeah, mental health has really impacted my family , marriage , kids , it’s brutal AF. Agreed that counseling is HUGE, and medication can obviously help too.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
hang in there man, we dont judge here :iono:

Hows your workout buddy Strava? Everything good between you two?

Strava is good. He upgraded his gold chains, wife beater, and 3 series, and recently refreshed his EDM collection, so he Gucci.

Biked 31 miles tues/wed, lawd

Status
Not open for further replies.