GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 Stage 1 Vs. MK6 Stage 2

Stinger

Ready to race!
Wait, wait... let me understand... you guys bought GTIs and pump'em up to...drag race?!? hum... interesting.
When I was in my early 20's (25 years ago...) living in southern France, my buddies and I would drive to the hills, close a side road for a few hours(we had a construction sign and cones with us) and rally race each other until we ran out of gas (or ditched a car...). I thought that's why peeps buy small racers for! (back then I had an Autobianchi Abarth... anyone been two wheelin' lately? lol).

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
I've been trying to look into that but few friends (mkv) said its bad for the car somehow but the search is still on!

It's not bad for the car. Get some!

gkallis

Ready to race!
explain the whole water/meth thing to me and how much does it cost and how much power gain.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I raced an MK5 who had APR Stg 2 with an intake and full APR 3" downpipe and catback and we were dead even. He wasn't pulling on me and I wasn't pulling on him. He was manual and I am CSG with APR Stg 1 with intake only.

I've spent months trying to decide which downpipe to go with so I can go to Stg 2 tune. But after this episode....plus reading how some people "complain" how their car "feels slower" after going to Stg 2...and how they feel that their car has lost low end power........

I'm sure that Stg 2 is faster, but....I dunno. I like the "kick in the pants" low end burst from the Stg 1. And from what I've heard from more than a few people....you lose that "feel" when you go to Stg 2.

I've even read where people switched back (or wanted to switch back) to Stg 1 after going to Stg 2.

Not to mention that I have yet to hear a downpipe that doesn't make the GTI sound like a fukn tractor.

For now, I think I will stick with Stg 1. If I decide to go to the next level, it would probably be straight to a KO4 and just bypass Stg 2.

Not knocking you Stg 2 guys...I know your shit is fast(er).......just my opinion at this point in time. A few months from now I just might be at Stg 2, haha.

heartcoke

Ready to race!
What meet do you Miami guys go to?

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
explain the whole water/meth thing to me and how much does it cost and how much power gain.

There's little to no gain JUST from W/M, but it allows for more aggressive tuning (being able to go from a 93 tune to a 100 tune) due to an increase in octane and cooler temps on the intake air.

It also helps to keep your internals clean, that's the meth.

I have the Devil's Own kit, it was $350. Easy install, and it comes with a controller to decide when you want it to come in for the 1/4 shot, and full shot. Runs off a boost tap, like a gauge.

gkallis

Ready to race!
There's little to no gain JUST from W/M, but it allows for more aggressive tuning (being able to go from a 93 tune to a 100 tune) due to an increase in octane and cooler temps on the intake air.

It also helps to keep your internals clean, that's the meth.

I have the Devil's Own kit, it was $350. Easy install, and it comes with a controller to decide when you want it to come in for the 1/4 shot, and full shot. Runs off a boost tap, like a gauge.
thanks for clarification but now i know i dont want it haha.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Well, with it, you'd be over stage 2 93oct power on a 100 tune from stage1.

Stage 2-93: 276/314.

Stage1-100: 273/337.

Last edited:
I raced an MK5 who had APR Stg 2 with an intake and full APR 3" downpipe and catback and we were dead even. He wasn't pulling on me and I wasn't pulling on him. He was manual and I am CSG with APR Stg 1 with intake only.

I've spent months trying to decide which downpipe to go with so I can go to Stg 2 tune. But after this episode....plus reading how some people "complain" how their car "feels slower" after going to Stg 2...and how they feel that their car has lost low end power........

I'm sure that Stg 2 is faster, but....I dunno. I like the "kick in the pants" low end burst from the Stg 1. And from what I've heard from more than a few people....you lose that "feel" when you go to Stg 2.

I've even read where people switched back (or wanted to switch back) to Stg 1 after going to Stg 2.

Not to mention that I have yet to hear a downpipe that doesn't make the GTI sound like a fukn tractor.

For now, I think I will stick with Stg 1. If I decide to go to the next level, it would probably be straight to a KO4 and just bypass Stg 2.

Not knocking you Stg 2 guys...I know your shit is fast(er).......just my opinion at this point in time. A few months from now I just might be at Stg 2, haha.

Before I say anything let me just say I have a MKV GTI TSI. So I have the same engine and everything as you guys...

You do NOT lose power OR torque going stage 2. There is a definite gain in both. That surge of low end power does not go away, it gets greater. When I was stage 1, I was worried about the same thing. I've been in the MKV community for quite some time, and I know the effect various mods will have on our cars.

My car is a stage 2 Revo TSI, and I recently dyno'd 260whp and 338lb/ft spiking to 26psi on the dyno. You decide if you think torque loss is an issue after going stage 1 to stage 2.

And for all the guys on their high horse about APR software- don't be. APR has very good, smooth, and safe software. But as far as tuning goes for the 2.0t, I have found they consistently dyno lower and don't pull as hard as some other tuning companies' software, 100 oct. file or not.

gkallis

Ready to race!
Before I say anything let me just say I have a MKV GTI TSI. So I have the same engine and everything as you guys...

You do NOT lose power OR torque going stage 2. There is a definite gain in both. That surge of low end power does not go away, it gets greater. When I was stage 1, I was worried about the same thing. I've been in the MKV community for quite some time, and I know the effect various mods will have on our cars.

My car is a stage 2 Revo TSI, and I recently dyno'd 260whp and 338lb/ft spiking to 26psi on the dyno. You decide if you think torque loss is an issue after going stage 1 to stage 2.

And for all the guys on their high horse about APR software- don't be. APR has very good, smooth, and safe software. But as far as tuning goes for the 2.0t, I have found they consistently dyno lower and don't pull as hard as some other tuning companies' software, 100 oct. file or not.

Apr may be slower but i feel like in 5 years my car will still be running and urs will be in the shop haha

chippedgti

Go Kart Champion
Lmao 26 pounds your car will be fucked pretty soon I like uni it runs conservative boost and still whoop ass

Lmao 26 pounds your car will be fucked pretty soon I like uni it runs conservative boost and still whoop ass

You have to realize too that the car will only hit 26psi at around 3,000RPM if you're doing a boost run and have the pedal down from 1500RPM or so.

Go over the MKV forum and do some research. There is a ton of information directly pertinent to your cars. This forum is looking a lot like the MKV forum circa 2006. TONS of misinformation/uneducated people who don't know the first thing about the 2.0t.