GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ok so I left my car on a lot for 9 months...

corz123

Ready to race!
Hey guys. Due to some unforeseen heath and career conditions I left my car on the other side of the country for since April. I know this isn't ideal but I was planning to come back in a few weeks, didn't work out that way.

I'm planning to fly back in a few weeks to get the car shipped over to where I'm living now.

What steps should I take to make the car drive-able?
I read that I might have some issues with the battery and oil accumlating somewhere.

Do I need my DSG service. It's been about 4 years but I only have 23k on the car. Should I be in a rush to have the DSG service done? Thanks!

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
If it's been sitting for that long your going to need a bunch of stuff. First I would flush all fluids ideally drain fuel tank and get new fuel in there because I have heard the fuel can go bad over time. I don't know exact details but running on really old fuel I heard can lead to misfires and stuff because the octane is not the same. You will need a new battery/charge the old one (not sure if you can do this I'll let someone who knows better chime in) and probably tires because most likely the tires on the car will have a flat spot from sitting on the same spot for so long. Other than that just run the car make sure you have no leaks from anything degrading over time or whatever and you should be good. Maybe new spark plugs just as a safety precaution as well.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
If it's been sitting for that long your going to need a bunch of stuff. First I would flush all fluids ideally drain fuel tank and get new fuel in there because I have heard the fuel can go bad over time. I don't know exact details but running on really old fuel I heard can lead to misfires and stuff because the octane is not the same.

I hear about it on boats from time to time. It's why almost nobody recommends ethanol for their boat. You get phase separation and end up with water in the gas tank. I think you hear about it less with cars since people normally use their cars a lot more often.

atikovi

Ready to race!
If you're getting it shipped, the shipping company will take care of the details but all it will really need is air for the tires and a jump start. If it was exposed to below freezing temperatures the battery may not hold a charge and will need to be replaced. Last year I've had 2 cars both of which have not been started in over 3 years, start right up after just a few seconds of cranking. One of them had 9 year old gasoline in the tank and it ran fine for the next 200 miles I drove to use it all up. It was premium if that makes a difference. You'll be fine.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
^^^ what sort of details are you talking about? because ive worked for an auto transport company (broker) and they will not take care of the details. the driver will strap it up and load it up on his open carrier full of other vehicles and take it on his mary way. if you decide to use a private company with enclosed carriers(more for exotics) they might take care of the details and be more carefull but thats obv more money. good luck with everything tho!

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Hey guys. Due to some unforeseen heath and career conditions I left my car on the other side of the country for since April. I know this isn't ideal but I was planning to come back in a few weeks, didn't work out that way.

I'm planning to fly back in a few weeks to get the car shipped over to where I'm living now.

What steps should I take to make the car drive-able?
I read that I might have some issues with the battery and oil accumlating somewhere.

Do I need my DSG service. It's been about 4 years but I only have 23k on the car. Should I be in a rush to have the DSG service done? Thanks!

Your battery will be dead, and since its been sitting this long, you can try to recharge it, but if its been dead a long while it will likely need to be replaced.

Storing a car stationary can also cause flat spots on the tires to develop. They may disappear, they may not, you'll have to see.

Yes, Gasoline does go bad overtime. 9 months you maybe okay, you'll just have to see. What happens to gasoline is that the light aromatic hydrocarbons evaporate leaving the long chain waxy components of the fuel. This waxy, thick fuel can clog fuel filters, injectors, etc. You'll probably be okay at only 9 months , but you would best be served by putting in new gasoline.

Read about what guys do for RV's if you want to know about long term storage.

I have all of the above. The biggest problem will be the dead battery. I wouldn't worry about the DSG oil. It won't degrade significantly by sitting there. Neither will engine oil. Just follow the manufacturers guide lines.

dead_catz

Ready to race!
i agree with the battery and flat spots on tires all else should be good to go, i've had the same gas in 4wheelers and boats for longer than that

corz123

Ready to race!
So guys. Should I bring a battery with me? I'm going to uber over to the storage lot from the airport. Or is this something AAA can do for me?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So guys. Should I bring a battery with me? I'm going to uber over to the storage lot from the airport. Or is this something AAA can do for me?
They can do it for you, IIRC, but they wont have the most budget friendly or best battery for your car.

I would take a trickle charger and leave it hooked up over night you may just need the battery fully charged up and can wait to replace it if it doesnt show any more signs of decay.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
youll be good with a jump man. the flat spots will feel like unbalanced tires for a week or so but thatll probably sort itself as well unless they got really low tire pressure while it was sitting then theyll be shot

corz123

Ready to race!
youll be good with a jump man. the flat spots will feel like unbalanced tires for a week or so but thatll probably sort itself as well unless they got really low tire pressure while it was sitting then theyll be shot

greeeeat. thanks! I was getting worried and a bit anxious before this thread.i'll prob give AAA a call as soon as i get off the plane.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I didn't figure you would have any probs, 9 months is not that long. I would still look into buying a desulfator for the battery -- like a Battery Minder model.

The batt was probably weakened by discharging that long and the desulfator can (mostly) bring it back and you may get a couple of more years out of the batt.