GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What difference does 1/2" make?

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
After much deliberation, I finally decided on a wheel that is 18x8.5 ET45. When I went to order the set, I found they were on back order for at least 3 months. Meanwhile, I found another wheel I like but it is 18x8 with the same offset. The 8" wheel is also 2 pounds lighter. Assuming that I had the same tires on both wheels (225/40 R18), what would I be losing by giving up 1/2" of wheel width?

My current wheels are 18x8 ET50 and are very heavy. I was looking forward to reducing the gap between the tire and fender but reducing the wheel weight is more of a concern for me. Any thoughts?

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
I found my answers elsewhere but thought I would share them just in case it helps someone else. Feel free to chime in still.

Since I am keeping the same tires, the wider width wheel will stretch the tire out more. Though some might like the way that looks, I don't. If I didn't want that look, I would have to go to a wider tire, like a 235 width, but then I am having to buy new tires and may have problems getting them to fit without rubbing in the MKVI. Too much hassle for not enough gain IMO.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Confused by your post. Are you saying that if you went with 8.5 you'd get a stretch look that is undesirable to you? Wasn't sure in your 2nd post.

In any case a lighter wheel will offer less rotational mass which is good.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running 225s on 8.5" wheel width. They don't look stretched, but they're at the limit. Tire shops have told me they're a bitch to mount, too.

I'm not unhappy with the setup, but next time I buy tires I'll be putting 235 or 245 on these wheels.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
go wider tiresss.
Get some 235s for your 8s or 245s for you 8.5s. The grip is better even if you dont think it will be a wider tire is better.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
go wider tiresss.
Get some 235s for your 8s or 245s for you 8.5s. The grip is better even if you dont think it will be a wider tire is better.

Can confirm, running 245/35 on 18x8 et45. Awesomesauce grip for days, pretty much no downside. Did fender screw mod, but not sure it was even needed.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i personally would do 18. But its whatever look your after. Im more about functionality over view-ability

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah I don't see a reason to go to 19". Unless you really love the look and are itching to pay an extra $50 per tire.

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
So I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Enkei Raijin 18x8 ET45 in hyper silver. The 18x8.5's that I wanted were the VMR V810, but they couldn't even estimate when they would be available again. VMR had 19x8.5 V810's but since I just had to replace two of my Continental DWS 225/40 r18 tires, I would be spending money needlessly IMO. When it is time for new tires, I will revisit 18" vs 19" or maybe stay 18" and go to a wider tire.

My only hesitation is the reviews that say the finish is delicate on the Enkei's but I have become much better at avoiding curb damage. Thank you for all your feedback.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
When you're 'laced up' post up a pick

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
So I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Enkei Raijin 18x8 ET45 in hyper silver. The 18x8.5's that I wanted were the VMR V810, but they couldn't even estimate when they would be available again. VMR had 19x8.5 V810's but since I just had to replace two of my Continental DWS 225/40 r18 tires, I would be spending money needlessly IMO. When it is time for new tires, I will revisit 18" vs 19" or maybe stay 18" and go to a wider tire.

My only hesitation is the reviews that say the finish is delicate on the Enkei's but I have become much better at avoiding curb damage. Thank you for all your feedback.

Great call, I have the same wheels in Gunmetal. Just got them this spring, still look brand new knock on wood. I find the 245/35R18 tires provide a small amount of wheel protection that you might not get with 225/40R18.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion

When the time comes I'll probably go with 235/40R18 on an 18 x 8 ET45 wheel, which should give a bit more sidewall not to mention the width.

I think you were right to avoid 19's. I mean if you want to floss, 19's look good, but in my opinion for best ride quality you want some meat under there, especially if you have Third World streets like we do where I am.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Depending on the position, it can make a pretty big difference.

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
And here they are. I splurged and also bought the Enkei flat caps and some nice chrome acorn wheel bolts. There is room for a bit wider tire, but I need to wear these out first. The color is really growing on me. It is darker than a normal hyper silver but not quite as dark as a gunmetal gray. I think the car looks more bad ass. Thanks for all the advice.

Here are the old wheels:

And the new wheels:

And a closeup: