GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where does this leak come from?

golfpro2112

Passed Driver's Ed
Same issue. Diagnosed as the upper timing gasket/ cover being the problem. $325 was the first quote for repair.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jkells

Ready to race!
Or not try my suggestions. It is the simplest, cheapest and easiest DIY. Why not replace it? They are KNOWN to fail.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
That doesn’t seal the oil cap that’s specifically there to keep particulates and junk out of the gap between the cap and the fill hole. That doesn’t even need to be used in most cases. You just have to make sure just before you pull the cap to clean the surrounding area around the cap to avoid said junk from entering the engine. (I use mine).
Maybe the cap wasnt all the way down then. But it fixed my issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Maybe the cap wasnt all the way down then. But it fixed my issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Only thing possible was either the cap wasn’t tightened properly or the rubber was caught in between the cap and the fill hole. Either way you can throw the rubber in the trash and it won’t cause a leak without it.

bigtim3727

Or not try my suggestions. It is the simplest, cheapest and easiest DIY. Why not replace it? They are KNOWN to fail.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

I agree with you on this one.

I currently have the same exact leak OP has, and I'm about to change out the PCV, hoping it cures it.

engine runs fine with oil cap removed, but always sputtered without the cap before the leak appeared. the pcv can be insidious on this engine, bc it doesn't always throw CEL's, or have major symptoms. Car runs fine.

Last edited:

Pooley

Ready to race!
I had the same leak last year and it was the upper timing chain cover gasket. Swapped it out and the problem was solved, totally dry since.

Tonrogs

Is this the upper timing chain cover gasket? Or from the cylinder head? Please help. What else should i be aware of too? Can a faulty pcv valve cause this too?

I hope someone could save me from this misery.

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk

I just went through exactly the same thing. Upper timing cover gasket.
But you may have another issue.... Like pcv valve being faulty causing the leak at its weakest point... The upper timing cover gasket in your case.
I would replace both the upper timing gasket and the pcv.