GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody have a rear wheel bearing go??? What have been you symptoms?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Soooo

Those who have had rear wheel bearings go bad .... What have been the symptoms?

What does it act like over bumps etc?

Sent from my stomach using remote control

riceburner

Autocross Champion
my wheel bearings were mostly done at ~60,000 miles.

Started hearing a 'put'put'put' while going along was the first symptom, started feeling some 'rub' going around turns, car not rolling as nice, not taking bumps as nicely.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
my wheel bearings were mostly done at ~60,000 miles.

Started hearing a 'put'put'put' while going along was the first symptom, started feeling some 'rub' going around turns, car not rolling as nice, not taking bumps as nicely.
I see .... So what would it do when hitting a bump, do you remember?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
it would just feel a little more uneccessarily rough. but judging a wheel bearing by it's bump-taking characteristics is not correct. jack your car up see how much movement your wheels have by jiggling the wheel around. even that doesn't exclude that other bushings could be shot.

try rolling your wheel in the air as well listening for noise, feeling for vibrations - keeping in mind you may be feeling/hearing your brakes

if your car is over 60000 miles, has seen winters, salt, goes over a fair amount of crappy roads... i got news for ya

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
it would just feel a little more uneccessarily rough. but judging a wheel bearing by it's bump-taking characteristics is not correct. jack your car up see how much movement your wheels have by jiggling the wheel around. even that doesn't exclude that other bushings could be shot.

try rolling your wheel in the air as well listening for noise, feeling for vibrations - keeping in mind you may be feeling/hearing your brakes

if your car is over 60000 miles, has seen winters, salt, goes over a fair amount of crappy roads... i got news for ya
All bushings are new ....

Just still getting a big of lateral skip when going over bumps and manhole covers.

Rear sway H&R is on set on stiff.

Will jack the car up and wiggle the wheel to and fro.

Ya it's got over 90000 miles ....

I assume they could be loose.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
to me it sounded like i had tire noise. it was the rear right bearing. I jacked up the rear end.. checked each tire out.. then i swapped tires, different sets. noise was still there.

that was enough for me. I remember one winter driving my Jetta K2 and having the right rear wheel (coincidence?) seize on me and needing a tow truck + dolly to get it to the shop. Good thing it was on a city street in downtown slow traffic. felt like the brakes seized up on me.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
to me it sounded like i had tire noise. it was the rear right bearing. I jacked up the rear end.. checked each tire out.. then i swapped tires, different sets. noise was still there.

that was enough for me. I remember one winter driving my Jetta K2 and having the right rear wheel (coincidence?) seize on me and needing a tow truck + dolly to get it to the shop. Good thing it was on a city street in downtown slow traffic. felt like the brakes seized up on me.
I don't think I have any noise .... Not that I noticed ....

But I'm gonna have a listen.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
All bushings are new ....

Just still getting a big of lateral skip when going over bumps and manhole covers.

Rear sway H&R is on set on stiff.

Will jack the car up and wiggle the wheel to and fro.

Ya it's got over 90000 miles ....

I assume they could be loose.

Ohh i used to get that too; swapping out my rear control arms for new ones allieviated that.

swear, i replaced just about every bushing the car has by now. the rear control arms were indeed shot which allows for some side to side shimmying going over bumps.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Ohh i used to get that too; swapping out my rear control arms for new ones allieviated that.

swear, i replaced just about every bushing the car has by now. the rear control arms were indeed shot which allows for some side to side shimmying going over bumps.
Well I swapped the uppers .... Nothing changed .... Swapped the toe arms, no more crabbing and skipping mostly gone .... Buttttt still a tiny bit there. Definitely the toe arms were at fault too.

So I assume that my lower control arms are shot for some reason .... I'll swap with a used one to see if that changes it.

Front is another story. Just swapped back to rubber .... Voidless RS3 style .... Ecs poly had failed or something, allowing play.

This car is almost all rebuilt lol. No money, non-lol ....

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie

Did you just change the rear lower control arms??

Or should I change the bushing in the housing first?

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
A bad wheel bearing results in a constant OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM kind of drone in the cabin on the highway. You don't realize how noisy that shit is until you get it fixed. I had to replace the front left and rear right. Car felt quiet and new after it was done.

If it's a front bearing, you can tell too if you do slalom type movements on a straight away. If the noise goes away upon load, it's a bearing. Can also just jack up each wheel, grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to move it in/out at those points. If there's play, it's a bearing.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
A bad wheel bearing results in a constant OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM kind of drone in the cabin on the highway. You don't realize how noisy that shit is until you get it fixed. I had to replace the front left and rear right. Car felt quiet and new after it was done.

If it's a front bearing, you can tell too if you do slalom type movements on a straight away. If the noise goes away upon load, it's a bearing. Can also just jack up each wheel, grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to move it in/out at those points. If there's play, it's a bearing.
No OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Non of it in my cabin so I'm thinking it's fine.

But I'll check the 12 and 6 again .... Problem is it also could be a worn bushing too.

zrickety

The Fixer
Doesn't sound like a bearing...check your rear shock mount.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Doesn't sound like a bearing...check your rear shock mount.
They were fine when I put them in about 2000km ago.

But I'll wiggle the shock around to see if it's loose.