GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011-2014 Water Pump Recall Incoming

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Spoke to customer service this morning. My vehicle has no active warranty actions or service actions. She said they will roll out more in the future as they investigate the issue, but she reassured me that regardless I'm covered under the powertrain warranty.

This is just a concern of mine since I bought the car as its my daily driver. I feel like it's just a matter of time haha

sent from a milk tea shop

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If improper installations are happening at a factory/dealership level, I doubt any regular Joe Shmoe would have an easy time doing it too. Not saying it's impossible or anything. It's just that installing one properly might require a little more attention to detail than swapping other parts. Otherwise we wouldn't be having these widespread problems coming from improperly installed pumps.

Having a stealership replace it holds them accountable by leaving a paper trail behind. The fact that it'll now be done for free makes the decision even easier.

Mine is going on 29K miles without any leaks since I installed it before 60K. The VW tech is on a timeline to get it replaced. Plus, they don't get "brownie" points for cleaning the work area. Do you really think they are going to take that extra 2 minutes to wipe things down? I highly doubt it.

You're more than welcome to have them install it and half-ass the work if you like. Not my car so I could care less.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Mathew P said:
Looks like you do have a service action, which is different than a recall. They have different parameters. Looks like you're within the parameters so you just have to make a dealership appointment and they will take care of this for you.
Mathew P said:
The service action has to be done within the new vehicle limited warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first).
does that mean this "service action" doesn't apply to anyone out of warranty? doesn't sound right...

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
This service action has been put on hold as of yesterday afternoon, a few hours after the release. As in...taken off of all car's warranty data as well as the recall listing. As of right now the recall is not open to anyone.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Hm. Yes. Good sauce is good. But can he tell us WHY the service bulletin went out in the first place? Or, why it was retracted?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Hm. Yes. Good sauce is good. But can he tell us WHY the service bulletin went out in the first place? Or, why it was retracted?

Maybe they're revising it. I guess wait and see is the only thing we can do/

Gberg2119

Ready to race!

This.

I wonder why it was pulled. I'm on pump #3 so far and I come up empty on the recall site.

zrickety

The Fixer
Many times a recall like this is only for vehicles that haven't had the service. If VW already replaced the pump, that's all you get. This was the case with the Mini Cooper timing chains.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion

I wish I could answer that for you but I have no idea. They did a prerelease notification then released it next day, then retracted just hours later. I'd put some money on a vw corp guy getting fired over a premature release though.

Gen3 pumps are still failing so I don't expect there's a good pump in circulation yet. I also think there's an underlying issue and the pump is just the weakest link and goes first. We've seen that the cars with several replacement pumps end up with a leaking radiator at some point. This has only been on less than 10 cars in the past year but worth noting. Will add more info as it becomes available to me.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Many times a recall like this is only for vehicles that haven't had the service. If VW already replaced the pump, that's all you get. This was the case with the Mini Cooper timing chains.

They identify a group of VIN that were effected by the bad parts. You typically get the updated part if you got a bad # or if your number is updated its a check only and not a replace.