GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water getting into hatch door

rpandresen

Ready to race!
So I just ran my car through a carwash and 2 days later I opened my hatch and water started running out of the little door that opens to the back of the rear lights. There was significant water inside and even some dripping out near the bottom of the hatch. Clearly some water got in between the plastic hatch and the metal of the hatch.

I have the Euro rear lights and I'm not sure if water is getting in through that or somewhere else.

Ideas on how to seal this or seal the lights?

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Check your spare tire well too. I had the same problem, and somehow the water was making its way to the spare tire well. I drilled a couple of holes to alleviate the standing water. Then I very carefully used Plasti-dip to seal around the tail lights. No more water on the inside.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
It could also be the rear washer hose and just be coincidence that you used the car wash before you noticed! The hose is known to split inside the rubber tube next to the right side hatch hinge and cause the same symptoms!, when mine split it wasn't completely severed so the washer jet still worked, can be really fiddly to mend but it's simple as all you need is a joining piece from VW, I used parts from eBay but I followed a guide on another gti site but I'm unable to post the link here, forum rules I guess!

of course if you've not used the rear washer it is likely not that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
So I just ran my car through a carwash and 2 days later I opened my hatch and water started running out of the little door that opens to the back of the rear lights. There was significant water inside and even some dripping out near the bottom of the hatch. Clearly some water got in between the plastic hatch and the metal of the hatch.

I have the Euro rear lights and I'm not sure if water is getting in through that or somewhere else.

Ideas on how to seal this or seal the lights?

PM sent.

rpandresen

Ready to race!
Check your spare tire well too. I had the same problem, and somehow the water was making its way to the spare tire well. I drilled a couple of holes to alleviate the standing water. Then I very carefully used Plasti-dip to seal around the tail lights. No more water on the inside.

Did you seal the edges of the lights? Or did you seal where the lights fit into the frame of the hatch?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
You're symptoms are exactly like mine when the hose was split, it's worth checking as all you need do is slide the rubber gaiter/tube by the hinge down and look inside, it may not be obviously broken so get someone to operate the washer while you look.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Did you seal the edges of the lights? Or did you seal where the lights fit into the frame of the hatch?

I see what you're saying... the tail lights filled up with water. Ok. I had that issue with one tail light and used clear marine sealant on the edges of the tail light. I also purchased a new tail light gasket from the dealer and put some marine sealant around that too. Of course the first thing I did was remove the tail light and pour out the water and then dried it over night near a space heater.

Good luck.