GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hmm bad review of golf r :-/

darian

Ready to race!
That was a very mean review and without any real knowledge of the truth. Yes the R20 is heavier than the Golf, yes a stage 2 golf will beat it on a dry perfect road, but in real life you cannot deny that overall the R20 is a better machine. The FWD cars get torque-steer out of every bump, or puddle on the road the AWD in the R is very good with it 4th generation Haldex.

Regarding the comparison with the STI and EVO. Thats a load of crap. One in my country The two above are over 5000 euro more expensive, not as refined and with shitty interiors. Yes they may be faster on the track but i can assure you that a R20 stage one with dsg will kick the ass of every stock EVO ore STI, not words, proven facts here in Romania.

I am sorry for my language but i am a little upset. Lets be honest people, dont start trowing stones at the R just because you have a GTI.

For a GTI to beat the R, there have to be certain conditions.
Dont tell me that if i say lets go and have a race R vs GTI in the middle on the night 2 degrees Celcius outside with a normal damp road the GTI will win.

My 2 cents

Halvie

WOOSA
I guess all is fair, when you can just chip the car for 300hp

Get that argument and all, but considering the price it should come with the much power stock. R is a hell of a lot less impressive to me after seeing the new APR tunes. TSI stage 3 > FSI (R) stage 3. Hell TSI stage 3 is ~23 hp less than the FSI stage IV 93 octane graph that was posted not too long ago.

No thanks VW... make a real R next time and I'll consider it (2.5t pls).

TEFF

godfather
Many of the latest round of preview drive reviews have complained about the excessive turbo lag (relative to the GTI)....

Because GTI has a smaller turbo (IHI), and the R has K04. IMO it's normal to have a smaller lag.

It's not fair to compare a Stage 2+ GTI with a stock R. Compare them both stock, compare them both at Stage 1, or at every Stage.

P

plac

The reviewer in that article is a complete moron.

I hate idiotic, completely uninformed jackasses who attempt to pose as literate on a subject. When they inevitably fail, they do it so loudly other uninformed people actually think they are accurate.

umadbro?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002

:thumbsup:

AdvanSuper

Banned
Since the WRX arrived in American parking lots, ditches, and tirewalls a decade ago, followed by its bigger brother STi and the brother’s rival Lancer Evolution, fans of Volkswagen’s GTI have been put in the position of a the wimpy grade-school kid hoping his European bigger brother would arrive to set things straight. The original R32 turned out to be the kind of reasonable, cultured sibling who would rather talk things out than fight. “Look, I have this wonderful leather interior. Do we have to settle this on the dragstrip?” The second-generation R32 was kind of like having a big brother from the special-needs classes; all the mean kids pointed and laughed whenever he showed up.

:lol: It's so true.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
I enjoy Baruth's tales. The multipart Maximum Speed articles were hillarious.

omes4life1

Ready to race!
The new R should have been a the staggered VR6 motor with a Garret 35R mounted up to it. Wider tires, suspension and a 6spd manual tranny then no more mr nice golf LOL

BongoML

Passed Driver's Ed
I must admit that, when I read this article, I had mix feelings.

I think the review is kinda mean but...

I was one of the first one in line for the Golf R in Canada and got my deposit back from VW today... before reading this new article.

Viewed the track trial of the Golf R vs the Sirrocco R from Australia and it was it... to many so so reviews.

so I guess this article, as many other ones, is somewhat confirming my choice

I think the Golf R is a good car but not for me and certainly not for 45k cdn $ after tx

I've been modding and tracking my mkv gti for over 2 years and my taste just changed over time

Simply not interested in a compromise car anymore... I want superb steering feel that gives me confidence on the track, a decent stock power figure, great braking, etc

The Golf R is not that... it's not a potential weekend trackcar

Plus I can get a brand new mustang gt for 35k cdn$ or WRX STI for 36k cdn $

This just doesn't make any sense today as it did almost one year ago...

I'm sure the Golf R is the right fit for many but not for me

Enjoy it for what it is

cheers

mk6stage3

Ready to race!
My friends 04 R32 will always be the sickest of all R's. He's running a solid 450awhp. Scary car.. Some HPA S/C kit, all kinds of side upgrades, cams, etc...

With the same amount of money your friend spent, 7k in a golf R for the APR stage 3 kit would destroy your friends car on any road course because at the end of the day the R32 is heavier and heavier in all the wrong places (front)