GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded 2012 4 Door GTI to 2012 4 Door R

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Who cares if the OP lost money on the trade or not - its none of our business. Can't we just be happy that the OP is happy with the R. No one here should have to defend their purchases.

Congrats on the new car.

Amen!!!

chris101

Ready to race!
Wow people, We traded in our 2 month old (yes literally brand new) 2011 Silverado on my 2012 R and lost money on that trade too but have no regrets on that trade either. Selling that truck on our own would have been a PITA (dealership still hasn't sold it 2 months later) and yes we lost $1500 on the trade ultimately but in the grand scheme of things, $1500 isn't all that bad of a loss on a 2 month old vehicle! *and now we know we'd never again want an extended cab truck (had only full 4 door pickups in the past and will go back to that only in the future when we are ready for another truck so lesson learned)

C4L

Banned
Not sure if you have ever owned your own business, but when you have several hundred employees, driving around in an M5 or a Range Rover can certainly hurt morale, particularly these days. Being humble and respecting the people who work for you day in and day out, is in my opinion, real leadership and the right way to run a company. That being said, I certainly learned that the hard way. Hence, the GTI and R:)

To a point.

I would also like to see my bosses be successful because that shows promise in the business they are running. When they are doing well, generally speaking so is the company and subsequently the employees.

If I see my boss rolling a 1995 Civic, I might be a little concerned as to the future promise of the company's profitability and maybe think that he is preparing for something I don't know about...

However, you are right that if my boss is rolling a Rolls Royce Phantom, I would think he isn't paying me enough and/or taking advantage of his earnings potential and not capital reinvestment capabilities to help the company.

Though I certainly believe the mantra 'work hard, play hard'. Its his business and his money and he can spend it however he wants. If I don't like it, I can go work somewhere else...

Real life example;
Good friends dad in high school was president/ceo of a $80M furniture manufacturing company with about 150 employees (still holds the position). Anyways, he got a group of us friends summer jobs in college putting together office furniture. He was like you in that he drove a Camry (loaded but...) because he wanted to convey a good, modest image for his employees. I remember when he got the 2003 Camry SE V6 and cross shopped it with an A4 1.8T Quattro at the time. He did have a very nice home and vacation property as well and was slightly LESS modest outside of work when his employees couldn't see him so he went with the Toyota.

Working in the factory for a few summers we of course talked to all the employees and they all thought he was super loaded and heard stories about his boat (just a 20' Sea Ray open-bow I/O and a few Sea-Doos) and his vacation home up north and all these things they thought he did/had simply because he ran the company. Most of it, while true, was just blown out of proportion because they considered him very wealthy (and for the most part he was). They even (to us, not his face) made fun of his Camry because they thought he spent all his money on his houses and boats and couldn't afford a decent car anymore because of it... Some thought he had some crazy cars at home but just used the Camry for work. Like a company car.

Point is, drive whatever you want and don't worry about what your employees think of your PERSONAL endeavors. They already know/think you are wealthy just because you own/run the business. What you drive won't change that...

The bosses/executives of the company I work for (VERY large Fortune 300 company w 20k employees) drive VERY nice cars... I expect them to. I would think it more strange if you had a $5/$10m, even $18m (my CEO last year) income and DIDN'T drive whatever you wanted...

Last edited:

flyboy34

Passed Driver's Ed
Like others have indicated my 2011 DSG would be on the block if the R had DSG.

Congratulations on your new "toy":thumbup:

copizza

Ready to race!
And nice choice on the R. I would have personally gone with an A3 but good for you buying what you want (sort-of). You actually bought what you think your employees would want you to buy from the sounds of it...

Anyways, nice car.

Well spoken..... It really shouldnt matter, but i think these days especially, im a bit more sensitive. And it is the car i wanted. Ive owned 4 gti's and the A3 is a great car but its a chic car in Colorado!

COCWGTI

Congrats on the R! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it here in CO? I have yet to see one here in the area (at the dealer or on the road).

Regarding the beating the OP has taken from some on this thread, it doesn't seem to me that anyone (including the OP) is trying to defend whether it was a wise financial move to make the trade so quickly. He changed his mind and paid the difference between the GTI and the R, plus some amount for the "loss." If he bought well (which it sounds like he did), it probably wasn't all that bad.

copizza

Ready to race!
Congrats on the R! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it here in CO? I have yet to see one here in the area (at the dealer or on the road).

Regarding the beating the OP has taken from some on this thread, it doesn't seem to me that anyone (including the OP) is trying to defend whether it was a wise financial move to make the trade so quickly. He changed his mind and paid the difference between the GTI and the R, plus some amount for the "loss." If he bought well (which it sounds like he did), it probably wasn't all that bad.

Sent you a PM, lets go for a ride next week!