GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tail light bulb replacement

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
Can somebody help walk me through how to change the left-most rear tail light? I pulled back the carpet and all I see is this plastic piece wrapped in a metal spring. Not sure how to take it apart, or if I even need to. The tail light in the hatch door was real simple to get to but this one has me scratching my head. By the way, I did a search and didn't find anything. Thanks for any and all help. I wish I was more handy...

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok nevermind, I decided to unscrew the plastic thing with the spring and detached the wire connection and it allowed me to pull out the entire tail light assembly. Then I had to figure out how to pull apart 5 different tabs at the same time to pull out the bulb assembly from the housing. After that it was just a matter of pulling out the old bulb, putting in the new one and reassembling everything. VW really needs to come up with a simpler way to replace a tail light, that was way over the top for what it is.

allset

Go Kart Champion
to make it easier next time and to prevent destroying the threads on those cheap plastic screws, put some non-petroleum based lube on the plastic screw threads. It will come out MUCH easier next time, wont seize in position and will help keep them from stripping.

dont use WD-40 or any petroleum based lube/grease, those will eventually eat the plastic. use coco butter or chap stick or even a light coating of cooking spray/ olive oil

Just a helpful hint here. I've just had to replace the rear light cluster having reversed into a bollard that the parking sensors didn't pick up and it was dark! Megafan625 is correct in that there are five tabs that need to be kept open at the same time to remove the bulb assembly. What you need are some matchsticks, as you prise open the tab insert a match into the gap to stop the tab closing. Simples, five matches and the bulb assembly comes out easily. Hope this helps. You can all thank me later!