GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY poor mans WORKING auto pop trunk hatch

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ever since I installed this a few days ago, I've noticed that a bit of washer fluid drips onto the rear window every time I open and close it. What could be causing this?

BMFT

I did this DIY and it works great. My only complaint is that the left side of the hatch is no longer flush. You can see where the hatch sticks out about 1/3" past the taillight. Is there anything i can do to remedy this?

aleigh262

Passed Driver's Ed
I did this DIY today and it works great for now. I flipped the brackets and the struts and added one compression spring on each strut(23/32" x 3-1 /2" x .041") that I picked up at Lowe's for $5. I was on a bit of an incline with the front of my car facing down on the incline and it wouldn't quite pop, so I moved it to a level surface and worked great. I will have to watch for rubbing since I just did this today.

izzyandsue

Passed Driver's Ed
My opinion, after living with the mods for a year, I went back to stock today. I was banging my head on the hatch too often, wishing for more travel. I am 6ft, missing the lift since I spend more time getting things in and out of the trunk than the benefit of one click open.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
My opinion, after living with the mods for a year, I went back to stock today. I was banging my head on the hatch too often, wishing for more travel. I am 6ft, missing the lift since I spend more time getting things in and out of the trunk than the benefit of one click open.

I'm thinking about switching back to stock too. I'm not liking having to use a lot more force to shut it. Also I've dented my rear hatch slightly from pressing on it to shut it.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
I'm thinking about switching back to stock too. I'm not liking having to use a lot more force to shut it. Also I've dented my rear hatch slightly from pressing on it to shut it.
Best way to close it is press on the tail lights. My spring has broken in significantly, now its not as nearly as hard to shut as in the beginning

wlady

I just followed the guide.

After a while here's my .02: I'm reversing asap. After lowering my car I almost cracked my skull twice because of the edge of the hatch and not paying attention to it. Those 3cm that the poor-mans-pop-hatch shed off the total opening are surely making their pressence felt. The hard way.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Anyone want ONE hatch ball I got from buy china? I bought one on accident and not two. I'm going to undo this mod due to the fact I don't use it often and my air ride setup. Just pay shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jatco903

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, I just did the this diy today without adding the spring. What I did:

Flip the brackets
Flip the shocks
Replace the ball studs with this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391023682338?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Because the OEM ball stud is too long which makes the angle hard for the shocks to push open.

I just finish the diy and I can show you guys with the video tomorrow.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Guys, I just did the this diy today without adding the spring. What I did:

Flip the brackets
Flip the shocks
Replace the ball studs with this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391023682338?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Because the OEM ball stud is too long which makes the angle hard for the shocks to push open.

I just finish the diy and I can show you guys with the video tomorrow.
That will only work for a limited time. I did the same thing and had to resort to the spring method

ilee0207

I have been with the set up of springs in dust caps for about a month. I found the cracks on the dust cap both sides. Is there anyone who is having the same issue? Where I can get the new dust cap? Dealership might have it? Any idea? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SgtBatten

holy thread revival batman!

Hi, guys, I registered so i could reply to this post. A few weeks ago i did this mod which worked wonders however I had bad rubbing and was dissatisfied with nearly bumping my head a few times on the lowered hatch height.

Based on some very helpful info in this thread I did some research and sourced alternate gas struts which achieve the same result without adding the springs and without losing the height. If it ever gets weaker in the future I can always add springs back in i suppose. This info is specific to Australians i suppose but I went to Supercheap Auto and had them order in some struts from their supplier Struts Australia. You can buy direct from Struts Australia but by going through Supercheap i avoided paying shipping.

Here is the Struts Australia page: https://www.strutsaustralia.com.au/products/standard-gas-struts-8-18-includes-fittings

And the part i ordered from supercheap was K460-18-570N. Got two for $55 AUD

460mm long 18mm wide and 570Nm.

It comes with shorter ball joints but I did not try to use them. I still flipped the brackets but now have no rubbing and it is opening at full height.

SliMbo2.5

Ready to race!
I just did this on my(new to me) 2.5 tonight. Flipped brackets, struts and new ball mounts. Been hovering around 20*F so it didn't pop open all the way. Found a pair of 120lb struts on ebay for under $21 so I'm going to try those for the extra pop. Should be able to get them in during Christmas shutdown.

Update: Got these struts in and everything is working great. And these are the ball studs I used for reference. So for right around $30, the setup works for me.

Last edited: