GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mystery Suspension Creak driving me crazy

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys, I've been trying to diagnose a front driver side suspension creak for the past several months, and I'm not having much luck. It happens at low speeds (<40mph), primarily over bumps and uneven surfaces. The sound is definitely more audible inside the car than outside, and seems to be coming from the behind the dash/lower A-pillar/strut area on the driver's side. Best way to describe it as a muffled creaking/squeaking noise.

Audio taken inside of the car while going over a speed bump - the creaking sound is pretty clear.
https://youtu.be/aghy2iY0GLY

Audio taken from above the strut tower while going over speed bump - all I hear is the normal gas flow sound of the strut, no strut bearing or mount sounds
https://youtu.be/xla0hUGAimM

Here's the work I've performed in the past few months, none of which has resolved the issue:

-New Strut Mount and Bearing with new TTY Bolts
-New H&R 26mm Swaybar and bushings
-Installed Subframe Collar Kit with all new TTY bolts - all are properly torqued/stretched
-Retorqued sway bar endlinks - both top and bottom nuts

I thought for sure it would have been one of those things, given that they seem to be the common causes I've read. The new strut mount/bearing fixed the coil spring popping when turning the wheel, but not the creaking sound over bumps. The subframe collar / bolt kit fixed the subframe clunk that I felt going in and out of my driveway, but not the creak. So, while I'm glad I did those things...it still hasn't fixed my creaking issue. :eek:

Any ideas before I start tearing this thing apart?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
Check the swaybar end links.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've got something similar going on, but I don't know that I'd call it a creak or a squeak...mines more of a knock or a tap.

Everything else is identical to what you said though. It's the same area. Sounds like it's coming from the top strut mount, but I also just had mine replaced and it didn't fix a thing. I also replaced my end links and that didn't fix anything either. My mechanic told me sometimes the struts themselves make that noise, so if that's the case I guess I've just gotta live with it.

I still have a feeling it could be the end links though. I replaced them earlier this year and one of them is already seized, it's stiff as hell. My other thought is it's the axle, because other than that I don't know what it could be...

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
Check to see if the noise is coming from them.
Some people have had success spraying penetrating oil on them one at a time.
If the noise stops temporarily you know which link to replace.
When mine became noisy I had them replaced
along with adding H&R swaybars and Tyrol Sport Subframe Kits front and rear.
Quiet as a church mouse now. (Knocking on wood)

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Disconnected the sway bar endlinks and went for a drive...didn't fix the issue. :thumbdown:

Any chance it could be control arm bushings? My Superpro Anti-lift kit bushing? Any other ideas??

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Here's some video taken from the driver side wheel-well, going over the same speed bumps. I can't hear a single creak, squeak, clunk, or pop from under there. :rolleyes:
I'm beginning to think this isn't a suspension noise, but rather a steering column/rack or other body related creak; given that I can hear it so well from the inside of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAZcSzGi9g&t=15

The search continues...

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Finally located the source of the noise...it's the Superpro Anti-lift kit. :mad:

https://youtu.be/5vA-dcw9y84

I found it by lifting the car with a floor jack, then lowering it to simulate hitting a bump in the road. Sure enough, the sound is coming from the back of the control arm. I put my finger on the ALK bushing while lowering the car, and you can feel the binding causing the noise.

So with that said, the Superpro ALK is all of 1.5 yrs old and I installed it (so it was done properly) with the included packet of grease. The issue is that there is no possible way to lubricate the bushing and insert without removing the entire ALK. Now that I think back, the creaking noise started about 6-8 months after I installed the ALK, so in order to keep it happy I'll need to re-lubricate every 6 months or so. This means a new set of TTY bolts and an alignment twice a year...unless someone can recommend a way to lubricate them in place. If not, I may just go back to stock rear bushing.

Anyone else have creaky Superpro bushings / anti-lift kits??

Ronnie

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Just an update on this...

I removed the SuperPro ALK and found that the inner metal sleeve was absolutely bone dry in the polyurethane bushing. The noise was coming from the metal sleeve binding inside of the bushing. This is strange, because I used the entire packet of silicone lubricant when I originally installed it. I emailed Brett from SuperPro, and he was kind enough to send me a couple of free packets of their lubricant. I applied quite a bit to both the inner metal sleeve and the inside of the poly bushing. For good measure, I wrapped a layer of Teflon tape on the metal sleeve, then covered with more silicone lubricant. Teflon is an amazing lubricant that is highly resistant to wear, which is the reason H&R lines their swaybar bushings with it. Went ahead and did this for both the driver and passenger side.
I marked the location of the ALK bracket before I removed it, and since I have a Deadset collar kit, I don't expect to have to realign the car. (I'll know for sure the more I drive it).

Long story short, re-lubricating the ALK completely eliminated the creaking sound. I'll let you guys know if the issue returns.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Wow so glad I checked this thread. I am in the same exact boat as you, I have replaced all the part parts and was at a loss for what the creak could be - possibly my superpros ALK!

THANKS for being a good member and posting your findings because now I know where to look next.