GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car overheating on track days...(Use distilled water or WaterWetter?)

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
What do you guys run on track days? Distilled water only or 50/50 w/ water wetter?

Thanks

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
What are you're mods? What was the ambient temp? What gas are you running?

Most are in my sig: K04, D088 intercooler, cold air intake etc running 91 Octane.

Last time I was at Willow car would start to over heat toward the end of each session and outside temps were only 70f...

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Most are in my sig: K04, D088 intercooler, cold air intake etc running 91 Octane.

Last time I was at Willow car would start to over heat toward the end of each session and outside temps were only 70f...

People have been having cooling problems with the k04 at the track. Probably because that turbo is way out of its efficiency range at tuned boost levels. Those tunes are fine doing a few rice rocket runs on the street, but repetitive lapping is a whole other story. Try running a higher octane with the 91 tune. Also, make sure your pvc is working correctly. If there's excessive blowby it'll dilute your octane rating and cause pinging or even worse detonation. Run some logs to see if it's pulling timing.

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
People have been having cooling problems with the k04 at the track. Probably because that turbo is way out of its efficiency range at tuned boost levels. Those tunes are fine doing a few rice rocket runs on the street, but repetitive lapping is a whole other story. Try running a higher octane with the 91 tune. Also, make sure your pvc is working correctly. If there's excessive blowby it'll dilute your octane rating and cause pinging or even worse detonation. Run some logs to see if it's pulling timing.

Will do thanks Cadubya.

Do you have a more detailed build thread besides the one in your sig? Been debating going BT and impressed by the number your car is putting down out:thumbsup:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Will do thanks Cadubya.

Do you have a more detailed build thread besides the one in your sig? Been debating going BT and impressed by the number your car is putting down out:thumbsup:

Regrettably, I don't have a build thread. I just have my Wheelwell page. The link is in my sig. Don't get caught up on the dyno numbers. Different dynos produce different numbers. It's more about more reliable linear power delivery. BT is a huge commitment though. Especially if you piece your kit together rather than getting the off the shelf APR GTX kit.

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
Regrettably, I don't have a build thread. I just have my Wheelwell page. The link is in my sig. Don't get caught up on the dyno numbers. Different dynos produce different numbers. It's more about more reliable linear power delivery. BT is a huge commitment though. Especially if you piece your kit together rather than getting the off the shelf APR GTX kit.

Did you go straight to BT or did you start off w/ a K04?

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
You running the heater? It helped for me to have it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red_stapler

Ready to race!

zrickety

The Fixer
Have you removed the hood weather strip by the wipers and insulation? I found that will dissipate much of the heat. Also try wrapping the intake pipe above the exhaust manifold. Lastly, I have a modified street shield that helps with airflow. I ran my k04 car pretty hard at VIR for 30 min stretches, DSG even, with no issue.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
Have you removed the hood weather strip by the wipers and insulation? I found that will dissipate much of the heat.

If his coolant is overheating you don't want to reduce airflow through the radiator like that.

mraaf

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone has tried deleting fog lamps and re-coding it? It might open up some air to the engine imo