GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil change with Vacuum extractor (time lapse video)

chadsmb

Since downsizing to a rental after changing careers at 30 I found myself without the room and tools (some are in storage) to do oil changes with a jack. Being the winter I did this in my place of work (aircraft hangar) but normally the oil will be changed in my driveway. Hence, I decided to purchase an EWK vacuum extractor on Amazon along with MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5w-40 and a Mann oil filter. I will probably just use site sponsors from now on but I had some other things I needed on Amazon.

Having never changed oil in this fashion, I thought it went well. I didn’t even have to get on scrubby clothes because I always spill SOMETHING on me when changing with a jack.

A trick I learned are to keep the tube moving up up and down until you find the sweet spot. You’ll know because the tube will fill completely with oil and the extractor will fill quickly. I was wondering why I couldn’t get more than 2 liters out. I knew the oil was within recommended anoount because I check often. It happened quickly and would’ve cut down a large amount of time had I realized sooner.

One more pretty obvious trick is to keep pumping periodically. I’ve used siphons before and once those get going you don’t have to do anything else but with the vacuum pump it won’t keep going even if the extractor is below the oil pan.

I feel like I got most of the oil out. I actually overfilled and came back and extracted a little bit out. It was still new oil coming out. One way to check next time is to justborroe a jack and get underneath to be sure, I just needed to get this done as I was last 5,000 miles and I would like to keep the changes right at 5k.

If you are thinking about this, I highly recommend. If you don’t have access to a lift or something to easily get underneath, or just want to keep clean, this is a good route. I took the oil straight to Autozone and dumped it out. No mess.

Here’s a time lapse of the process, under 40 seconds long.

https://youtu.be/UeHOY3IJAd8

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Compared to bottom side draining, does this method get all the bottom oil out?
I have no experience with an extractor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the video... maybe i missed it but how long did it take you to get a reasonable amount of oil out before you filled it with fresh oil?

gdub09

Ready to race!
We do this at the dealership but with shop air. You get probably 90% or more out in the first 10min, I usually leave it in for 15 because the newer tanks we just got aren't as good as the old ones. The car does need to be at operating temperature for it to work though. It makes it so easy to do 2.0s & 1.8s. It's basically an easier way to change oil with the same results.

chadsmb

Compared to bottom side draining, does this method get all the bottom oil out?
I have no experience with an extractor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I can’t say it all and/or more just because I can’t tell what’s left but I moved the sucking tube around at the bottom (which reaches the oil pan) and nothing more came out. I’m going to do some tests next change to see if I get all of it. I’ve heard that draining from the bottom can leave some in the pan.

Doing it with a warm engine is recommended so the oil flows better.

chadsmb

Thanks for the video... maybe i missed it but how long did it take you to get a reasonable amount of oil out before you filled it with fresh oil?

It’s hard to tell in the video but it was about 20-22 minutes, I think I could do it quicker now knowing a little more about it.

chadsmb

We do this at the dealership but with shop air. You get probably 90% or more out in the first 10min, I usually leave it in for 15 because the newer tanks we just got aren't as good as the old ones. The car does need to be at operating temperature for it to work though. It makes it so easy to do 2.0s & 1.8s. It's basically an easier way to change oil with the same results.

:)

Yeah I’m liking this a lot.

AM407

Autocross Champion
I bought a Pella oil extractor a couple years ago and will never touch the drain plug again. It’s just too easy this way.

I had some doubts, so the second time I used it, I crawled under the car afterwards to take out the drain plug to see how much oil was left behind- it was maybe a few tablespoons.

TheCor

Ready to race!
I have done nearly all of my oil changes this way since owning the vehicle and I'm just about at 88k now. I change at 5k intervals. After extracting the oil, I am always able to use a full 5qt bottle of Mobile 1 to fill without overfilling (manual says 4.9qt with new oil filter, and you have to assume that .1qt is probably left behind in the bottle anyway.)

At 80k I did do a drain from the pan just to make sure nothing unexpected came out and everything was good. I highly recommend doing it this way, at least for this vehicle because the oil filter is right on top and it makes the job so clean and easy to do.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Since the extractor goes in the dipstick tube on the passenger side of the engine it seems to me jacking up the drivers side a bit would help get all the oil out.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Since the extractor goes in the dipstick tube on the passenger side of the engine it seems to me jacking up the drivers side a bit would help get all the oil out.

That's no necessary, it will pull all the oil being flat on the ground.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I just thought having the car lean toward the dipstick side would ensure a full drain.

It would be an interesting experiment. Pull the oil out & then jack up the drivers side to see if any more oil comes out.

I'm still removing the drain plug, but I'm interested in trying the top side method. My concern is leaving a bit of oil oil in the bottom of the pan each time may lead to sludge after time.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I just thought having the car lean toward the dipstick side would ensure a full drain.

It would be an interesting experiment. Pull the oil out & then jack up the drivers side to see if any more oil comes out.

I'm still removing the drain plug, but I'm interested in trying the top side method. My concern is leaving a bit of oil oil in the bottom of the pan each time may lead to sludge after time.

I just used my Schwaben fluid extractor for the first time the other day and I don’t think much oil gets left behind in the pan. It’s pretty powerful in getting the oil out. I was pretty impressed with it. Plus a lot less messier so it’s a win for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk