GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine feels like it's about to stall on cold starts

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi there. I've been noticing this with my 07 GTI (FSI engine) lately during cold starts, particularly cold starts in the morning when it's cold outside (not much of an issue in the underground parking lot at work).

The battery and starter are good, changed spark plugs to BKR7EIX gapped to 0.031" a week ago. When I start, there's the ch-ch-ch- of the starter motor, and when the motor starts to turn over, it feels like it's lugging or when it's about to stall.

Could this be a fueling issue, and if so how would I check it? Cam follower and the fuel filter by the rear passenger wheel was replaced a month ago. I do have a vag-com cable with me.

Thanks

zrickety

The Fixer
07? You should post in the golfmkv forum. Sounds like a bad battery though.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Not the kessy.

I would post it over there, but the mk5 forum is pretty much dead. I've had the battery tested and it's fine.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Maybe bad connection on the terminals? If its turning over slowly than I would say starter/battery/connection issue.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Just checked out my battery, alternator, and starter at O'Reilly auto parts...all systems normal

by driving over there you may top off the battery via the alternator, the battery needs to be tested overnight first thing in the morning in the cold.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Ah, true. Last time it was in the shop, the output was tested at 10.2 V, so driving around may have led to an optimistic reading.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Fuel pump?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Ah, true. Last time it was in the shop, the output was tested at 10.2 V, so driving around may have led to an optimistic reading.

If you're battery test lower than 13.5-13.8 before cold start in the morning then you have a weak battery for engine starts. Swap a battery in from another car and let it sit overnight to test your cold start the next day. It's a free test.