GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #2955
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
Go Stratified and dont look back, thats what I did
Was it really worth paying another $500-600 in addition to what you already spent on the tune?
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #2956
tofuD01
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW Golf Mk6 Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
Was it really worth paying another $500-600 in addition to what you already spent on the tune?
I'm waiting on cobb to release an update to support my car...otherwise i can chime in on Stratified vs APR. Currently flashed back on stock hoping it was the APR tune not letting cobb pair up..but i was wrong.

I do miss the power APR gave me but the hesitation etc at low gears makes the ride not nice in stop start traffic.

If anything, can always re-sell the cobb and pay labour fee to flash APR back on..atleast APR converted users would have that to fall back on.
2010 GTi DSG || APR ECU Stage 2 v2.4 | TCU v1.6 || APR Downpipe || Pipercross Intake || Soundaktor Delete || VWR Springs w/ TT struts || 034Motorsport Dogbone Mount Insert || GFB DV+ w/ main spring || GY Eagle F1 A3 (fronts) || 'R8' Coilpacks + BKR7EIX (0.025") || Vibrant bottle resonator / stock catback || New engine at 63.5k miles..
tofuD01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #2957
TesseracT
Go Kart Champion

Drives: Shadow Blue Mk6 GTI
Hi all, been running the Stage 2 file for over a year now, and have gotten the latest updates as they were released.

A few weeks ago I noticed a soft-code on my APR Mobile app. The code is a P2177 Too Lean Off Idle, Bank 1. This eventually threw a CEL and I had to dig deeper.

Reading the forums didn't help much for debugging this thing (most people get a P2177 as a symptom of another fault from what I've read), however the P2177 was my only fault, so I opened a ticket with APR. Justin at APR got back to me the same morning with some potential fixes, and I wanted to share that info for any similar use cases.

1.) Checked PCV for any oil leaks. Humble Mechanic has a video on this.
2.) Checked rear main seal for oil leak. Easy to get under the car and check where the trans meets the engine.
3.) My o2 spacers are 42dd and I was running two of them in total - one pre and one post catalytic converter. I removed these.

This has had the car running smoother, better throttle response, and still no returning P2177.

Definitely worth the time to send in a ticket. The issue wasn't even related to what I bought from them and they still gave support, so you guys should send in tickets as well. The end result would be a better tune for all of us if some of the problems do end up being software related.
TesseracT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #2958
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: a racecar
APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

**Need help urgently**

So I put my car in storage for a few weeks (non-heated covered storage unit). Before parking it I threw it back in stock mode. After switching maps I went to start the car, and it sputtered/ struggled between 400 and 600 RPM and coughed as it tried not to die. I shut it off and figured maybe I took my foot off the clutch before the starter motor stopped cranking (gear lever was in neutral). Starts up fine. As i'm backing it into the storage unit its popping a lot as I feather the gas (nothing new but the pops were loud). Park it.

Yesterday I went to pick it up. Car's been sitting in unheated storage for about 3 weeks. Start it up. Doesn't idle high like GTI's do usually when cold. It goes to like 1100 then slowly drops to idle. Car definitely felt a little rough but I figure its been sitting in the cold for almost a month. Throw the APR map on and go for a drive. Everything feels fine and strong.

Today, again, I cold start it and it doesn't idle high like usual. Just slowly drops to idle. Car still definitely feels a little rough probably since the cold start procedure was basically skipped.

Thoughts? Does this tune just not like the cold? It was fine last winter.

Or did my timing chain skip a tooth? If this is the case I have to figure out another way of getting around for the time being.

Thoughts?

EDIT: It did this in stock mode. Can't be the tune. Shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123,
You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?

Last edited by TSI_mr.niceguy; 12-17-2017 at 04:34 PM.
TSI_mr.niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:22 AM   #2959
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_mr.niceguy View Post
**Need help urgently**

So I put my car in storage for a few weeks (non-heated covered storage unit). Before parking it I threw it back in stock mode. After switching maps I went to start the car, and it sputtered/ struggled between 400 and 600 RPM and coughed as it tried not to die. I shut it off and figured maybe I took my foot off the clutch before the starter motor stopped cranking (gear lever was in neutral). Starts up fine. As i'm backing it into the storage unit its popping a lot as I feather the gas (nothing new but the pops were loud). Park it.

Yesterday I went to pick it up. Car's been sitting in unheated storage for about 3 weeks. Start it up. Doesn't idle high like GTI's do usually when cold. It goes to like 1100 then slowly drops to idle. Car definitely felt a little rough but I figure its been sitting in the cold for almost a month. Throw the APR map on and go for a drive. Everything feels fine and strong.

Today, again, I cold start it and it doesn't idle high like usual. Just slowly drops to idle. Car still definitely feels a little rough probably since the cold start procedure was basically skipped.

Or did my timing chain skip a tooth? If this is the case I have to figure out another way of getting around for the time being.

Thoughts?

Bad fuel? Drive the tank down and fill up with fresh fuel.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #2960
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Yeah I would check the fluids. 1 month is a while of not moving

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:10 AM   #2961
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
I can feel differences in behavior even after a couple weeks of running the same tank.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #2962
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_mr.niceguy View Post
**Need help urgently**

Thoughts?

If what you said in bold is true, there is almost certainly nothing wrong with the timing. If the engine is out of time it effectively never runs right and should throw CELs, even 1 tooth off.

Aside from the rough running stuff from sitting for a while, my car has also gone to normal idle speed shortly after starting now that it's cold out. Come to think of it, it hasn't really idled high in a little while... I don't really make a big deal out of it, usually I start driving gently about 5 seconds after starting the car anyways, so I never notice.

Warming your car up before driving is 100% unnecessary, as long as you're driving gently until the car is warm, not getting right on the highway, etc. The car warms up much faster while being driven anyhow.

Future: APR Downpipe | BFI Mounts | PTP Turbo Blanket | ST Coilovers
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #2963
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: a racecar
Okay. I was just concerned about timing because of how it sputtered and coughed that first time i tried starting it after throwing stock mode on. It was really bad lol

Thank you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123,
You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?
TSI_mr.niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #2964
tylorr83
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 White GTI DSG 4 door
Question for you guys. I just purchased an MK6 with an APR stage 2 93 octane tune on it. Is it possible to add additional tune files for 91 (93 is hard to find here, only 1 or 2 stations have it) and a valet mode?
tylorr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #2965
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

You would have to transfer the tune to your name and then purchase the fully loaded if the car does not already have a fully loaded tune.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #2966
Andrew429
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2-dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
If what you said in bold is true, there is almost certainly nothing wrong with the timing. If the engine is out of time it effectively never runs right and should throw CELs, even 1 tooth off.

Aside from the rough running stuff from sitting for a while, my car has also gone to normal idle speed shortly after starting now that it's cold out. Come to think of it, it hasn't really idled high in a little while... I don't really make a big deal out of it, usually I start driving gently about 5 seconds after starting the car anyways, so I never notice.

Warming your car up before driving is 100% unnecessary, as long as you're driving gently until the car is warm, not getting right on the highway, etc. The car warms up much faster while being driven anyhow.
Perfectly normal for the car to not do the high idle when its below 40 degrees, theres another thread somewhere, but the reason is that the computer doesn't run the secondary air pump
Old 12-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #2967
tylorr83
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 White GTI DSG 4 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
You would have to transfer the tune to your name and then purchase the fully loaded if the car does not already have a fully loaded tune.

Previous owner only told me about the 93 octane tune and switching back to stock, so i assume it's fully loaded (being able to switch between tunes)

edit-re-reading apr site, i don't believe i have the fully loaded option as he only mentioned the 1 tune and stock

2nd edit- He got back to me, i have the stock, 93oct, 100oc, and valet mode, so i am fully loaded. Guess i'll call to see about getting it transferred to my name though

Last edited by tylorr83; 12-20-2017 at 10:43 AM.
tylorr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #2968
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Since you know the programs, you dont have to get it transferred unless you really want to lol.