GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
MMKAY6
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 115
Went in for a simple oil change.....

I usually do my own oil changes but I had a coupon and been busy with work so I figured I'll take my car in a quick oil change. On top of the oil change I got a nice estimate for two repairs that need to be done immediately (according to them).

Turbo recirculation valve (sounds like the DV to me) for a cost of $310.66
Upper timing cover due to leak (not seeing any leak) for a cost of $404.66

There is some oil seeping around the valve cover but not enough in my opinion to claim that the turbo recirculation valve and the upper timing cover are leaking oil and need immediate attention. Thoughts?

I'll be doing everything myself but want to make sure I'm not dealing with another issue that they might be misdiagnosing (bad PCV).
__________________
2013 GTI Autobahn | COBB Tune (since 3/22/16) | Nothing else
MMKAY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Laimface's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKAY6 View Post
I usually do my own oil changes but I had a coupon and been busy with work so I figured I'll take my car in a quick oil change. On top of the oil change I got a nice estimate for two repairs that need to be done immediately (according to them).

Turbo recirculation valve (sounds like the DV to me) for a cost of $310.66
Upper timing cover due to leak (not seeing any leak) for a cost of $404.66

There is some oil seeping around the valve cover but not enough in my opinion to claim that the turbo recirculation valve and the upper timing cover are leaking oil and need immediate attention. Thoughts?

I'll be doing everything myself but want to make sure I'm not dealing with another issue that they might be misdiagnosing (bad PCV).
GFB DV+ is around $100, that'll fix your DV and help hold boost,.

I bought a new PCV from the local VW dealer for 80. Not sure if they're as cheap in the USA.

As for the oil leaks. Clean any oil and see where it comes back. I have a lower timing cover leak from when the tensioner was replaced. in 6k miles it just gets a bit damp and dirty. Nothing to worry about,
__________________
No speed limits are the best speed limits
Laimface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion
 
FocalPoint's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 4,728
Sounds like BS. Unless they pressure tested, or drove the car, how could they tell the DV was blown? Get a Rev D valve and be done with it.


As far as the cover leak, look for the place of origin. If it's the PCV or oil cap, replace PCV. Done.
__________________
FocalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
MMKAY6
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
Sounds like BS. Unless they pressure tested, or drove the car, how could they tell the DV was blown? Get a Rev D valve and be done with it.


As far as the cover leak, look for the place of origin. If it's the PCV or oil cap, replace PCV. Done.
Yes, that's what I'll be doing this weekend.
__________________
2013 GTI Autobahn | COBB Tune (since 3/22/16) | Nothing else
MMKAY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tri-state
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
Sounds like BS. Unless they pressure tested, or drove the car, how could they tell the DV was blown? Get a Rev D valve and be done with it.


As far as the cover leak, look for the place of origin. If it's the PCV or oil cap, replace PCV. Done.
Unless the DV is throwing a fault code right off the bat... either way, 300.00? Lol yeah, I'd be doing a relocate for that price at least.
GroceryGTIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 09 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 634
You can get a brand new Pierburg OEM DV for like $50 on amazon. Install takes 15 mins if you can jack up your car. I can do it with just the front passenger jacked up.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
MMKAY6
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
You can get a brand new Pierburg OEM DV for like $50 on amazon. Install takes 15 mins if you can jack up your car. I can do it with just the front passenger jacked up.
Yes, I have a spare Pierburg laying around that I'll throw in there this weekend. Just odd that they are telling me the DV is leaking oil, upper timing cover is leaking oil. I see slight seepage around the valve cover but nothing major that would be related to any of the issues they identified.
__________________
2013 GTI Autobahn | COBB Tune (since 3/22/16) | Nothing else
MMKAY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tri-state
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKAY6 View Post
Yes, I have a spare Pierburg laying around that I'll throw in there this weekend. Just odd that they are telling me the DV is leaking oil, upper timing cover is leaking oil. I see slight seepage around the valve cover but nothing major that would be related to any of the issues they identified.
DV is likely leaking oil due to bad pcv... ditch the OEM valve and get the turbosmart plumb back DV, all manual, no more issues.

Also might want to get a new pcv.
GroceryGTIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie
 
thatspsychotic's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western MA
Posts: 721
Second the new PCV. Will help protect your rear main seal as well. Just had to have that replaced. Recommend a catch can as well to protect the new PCV from seeing boost pressure.
__________________
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18

Future: APR Downpipe | BFI Mounts | PTP Turbo Blanket | ST Coilovers
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.