GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have any comparisons of the GTI and 2017 A4?

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I love how fun my GTI is, and I love the hatch. I also love the sunroof and the DSG. But, I wouldn't say no to more power, or a bigger sunroof, or AWD.

I thought about the Golf R, but I also love the DSG, and it seems like Golf R with a sunroof and DSG are a little hard to find.

Anyway, the new A4 has a 7-spd DSG, and 252HP, and a panoramic sunroof. Has anyone on this forum driven it? Would you trade your GTI for an A4? Would you get a Golf R over the A4?

Thanks!

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I've ridden in one. My 2012 GTI feels faster than it. It's by no means really built for a sporty feel like a GTI or Golf R is. It has a soft suspension and is silent inside. If you're all about luxury cars, then go for it. The interior blows away the GTI quality wise. I would absolutely get a Golf R over an A4 though. It may be technically faster than the Mk6 and Mk7 (GTI), but it doesn't feel like it.

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
Everything I read says that unless you're taking your car to the track (which I'm not) the GTI is so close to the R that the extra money isn't worth it.

If I can't get it with a sunroof, I wouldn't spend an extra $10k for an R.

Meanwhile: Performance Pack. Is the LSD worth it? Will it really help handling in bad weather? I live in New England.

avni

Ready to race!
LSD comes into action when you're putting big power down.

LSD is worth it IMO, but I have read in one of these threads it isnt TRUE LSD? Not sure

stage 2 MK7 is serious heat

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
it really isnt the same experience. more grown up much less fun much more comfortable

Dawg82

Get new MK7 GTI - sunroof is bigger than MK6 (I have a 2011 DSG that I love) MK7 GTI has 220 HP and 250+ torque. Haven't checked, but I bet it has a better power / weight ratio than A4 quattro.

I'm waiting for the MK8 GTI - I've thought about going APR1 on my MK6, but it runs so well now and concerned boosted turbo will lead to wheel spin, torque steering and loss of city driveability

Last edited:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Your comparing apples to oranges. GTI is a hot hatch when the A4 is a luxury sedan. A4 is going to be slower than a GTI but its also going to much quieter and more comfortable.

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
Your comparing apples to oranges. GTI is a hot hatch when the A4 is a luxury sedan. A4 is going to be slower than a GTI but its also going to much quieter and more comfortable.

It looks like the A4 has a 5.1 sec 0-60 and 13.8 sec quarter mile time. The GTI is 5.7 and 14.4. So why do you say that the Audi is slower?

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I've thought about going APR1 on my MK6, but it runs so well now and concerned boosted turbo will lead to wheel spin, torque steering and loss of city driveability

Get stage 1. You wont regret it. My stage 2 car feels stock when I drive it nice and easy. City driving is not negatively affected.

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
Wait... back up. I know that this is going to lead us down a rabbit hole (NPI), but the GTI and the A4 produce the same torque, even though the A4 has more HP. So does that mean that they will perform similarly? Is the higher HP necessary to achieve that torque out of 4 wheels? Does the higher HP mean that the A4 can have a higher top speed, whereas the same torque means that they get off the line similarly?