GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo/Intake Situation

budahbuddy803

Passed Driver's Ed
I am very much new to owning any sort of "performance" vehicle so other than watching videos, shows, forums, etc. I am lacking the experience/time it takes to understand the sounds and feels.

I have a 2014 GTI w/DSG and I pre-maturely got the 93 octane APR stage 1 tune before buying/installing the APR CAI and SAI filter.

One thing that I have noticed is occasionally I hear the air (can't tell if its the turbo or intake) studder when I start to push it a little harder at lower speeds. I would guess it mostly occurs when I start to push it (not floor it, aggressively and smoothly accelerate) from 20-30mph and at higher rmps (with tranny in drive so its probably in 3rd or 4th) once it starts to hit ~5-6krms I hear the studder of air.

I tried to get a video to capture the sound, but wind noise is too high for the microphone on my phone.

My two assumptions are 1. boost leak 2. need the stage 1 w/intake tune. It could be anything, but I'm too novice to recognize and determine what I'm hearing.

If anyone can understand what I'm trying to explain, I would appreciate thought and opinions. Thank you.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
You don't need an intake for stage 1. I would agree with you that a boost leak might be possible. With more power and boost it could have caused an old hose to crack. Double check all the hose clamps from the throttle body to the intercooler then back up to the turbo. The connection under the passenger side of the engine (called the turbo outlet pipe) has a green "clip" that secures a connection between two hoses. That is one of the more common areas for boost leaks. If you jack up the car and take the belly pan off, you'll see it right away.

budahbuddy803

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m aware the intake isn’t necessary for the stage 1 tune. I got the stage one tune with the factory setup and later installed the apr intake. That’s why I think there may be slight differences in the tune w/o the intake vs w/the intake

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I wonder if you're just hearing more noises now with the intake. An intake on a tuned car will def make a lot more noise especially in high load boost situations. If I build up boost at half throttle I can hear flutter sounds coming out the intake from the n75 trying to regulate the waste gate. You'll hear the DV a lot more too.

budahbuddy803

Passed Driver's Ed
That very well may be the case. I’m new to the turbo world. I can’t feel a difference in power. A boost gauge may help in order to verify the psi isn’t fluctuating abnormally.