GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon build-up when driving gently

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I've read the GTI can have issues with build-up on the valves and this occurs mostly when the engine is being babied and not being driven hard.

Lately as a way to improve my pretty dismal fuel economy around town I've been using the paddles to get the DSG to upshift early. I try for 6th before 30 MPH which had made a huge improvement in regards to fuel economy. First mixed tank over 30 MPG.

But I'm reading this relaxed driving style will gunk up the values... meaning any fuel savings will end up being wasted on some expensive cleaning service.

I want to avoid this:

But I also want to avoid running into this all the time:

Thoughts? - Am I throwing money away while trying to save on gas?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I doubt you shifting early will have any dramatic effect on carbon build up. It's a design flaw that isn't due to your driving habits.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
So going to happen regardless oh well.

And ops* on my part this should be in the 2.0 non-R section.

McQueen77

Banned
The ownership of this car is going to ass rape you until you don't own it anymore regardless of driving style.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
I had no ill affects of whatever cabon buildup I had on my 48k mile FSI GTI, or my 77k mile TSI GTI.

My R will get cam followers at 25k mile intervals, and carbon cleanings at 50k mile intervals.

dajiggalo

Passed Driver's Ed
this is the unfortunate byproduct of the direct injection motor. Oil catch cans cannot help either, so the valves must be cleaned at regular intervals