GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Totaled?

Atomic_Doggo

So a few days ago, I took my car into Pep Bois to get a new set of wheels and tires installed. One of the employees took it on a test drive and got in an accident. No details yet, other than the fact that they'll be "handling it" with me and my insurance some time on Monday. Do you think this is totaled? I'm just curious. I really don't want to lose the car, I put over 3.5 grand in aftermarket parts for it, only to be possibly thrown away through no fault of my own. The airbag on the steering wheel was deployed.

I added a link to a picture, this is my first post and I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture the right way.

Attachments

• 20180223_1701041.jpg
    20180223_1701041.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 298

JustinT

Ready to race!
Damn, I mean it’s a 2010 GTI and that’s a pretty decent amount of damage. It very well could be.
It will need body work, probably front suspension, lighting, maybe frame was tweaked.
Best of luck, it really is up to the adjuster/insurance company. Rooting for the car to be fixed, and even if there is extensive damage don’t worry. Technology has came a long way, just wondering what the driver was doing while on a test drive.

Atomic_Doggo

Yeah, I'm honestly not feeling so good about it but we'll see. I just put in new springs/struts with my roommate a week ago, and I didn't even get drive with the new wheels... :/ Lol. I'm already looking at a few other cars assuming the worst case scenario.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Hopefullly insurance treats you right. Good luck and hope they get it right

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
Ahh man. Sucks dude. I’ll ask my wife. She’s an insurance angent. Maybe she can drop some knowledge.

This may be just me but I’m in a 2011 GTI. If someone else was in my car like pep boys and got it an accident I’d be happy because I’d fight to get a new car. Specifically a golf R. Lol

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm very sorry this happened to you. Why would the shop that installed the tires & wheels do a test drive? There is absolutely no reason to do that. The tire buster just wanted to joyride your car plain & simple. Get ready for a fight. You may need to hire a lawyer.

Good luck, I hope this works out well for you.

I hope everyone learns from this. Stay out of places like PepBoyz.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Feel bad this happened. I would’ve been so furious as to why in the world they are even test driving my car without approval and for something such as wheels installed. I would definitely sue because he must’ve been doing something idiotic. Good luck to you. On a side note, the wheels look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gdub09

Ready to race!
I'm very sorry this happened to you. Why would the shop that installed the tires & wheels do a test drive? There is absolutely no reason to do that.

There is a reason. In case there is a noise, a loose wheel, tires might not be balanced correctly. Every shop does this so when you leave they've already addressed any of the said previous issues and the car is safe for you to take. You'd rather have them put on tires, leave with your wife & kids and someone left a wheel loose accidentally? Not everyone is out to joyride a GTI lol.

Sorry to hear about your accident. With an airbag going off that'll be leaning towards totaled and there seems to be a lot of damage. It looks like the A pillar and the door might of taken an impact too and that never helps. Hopefully they don't total it and you get to enjoy your new wheels and springs!

slowgti08

Ready to race!
There is a reason. In case there is a noise, a loose wheel, tires might not be balanced correctly. Every shop does this so when you leave they've already addressed any of the said previous issues and the car is safe for you to take. You'd rather have them put on tires, leave with your wife & kids and someone left a wheel loose accidentally? Not everyone is out to joyride a GTI lol.

Sorry to hear about your accident. With an airbag going off that'll be leaning towards totaled and there seems to be a lot of damage. It looks like the A pillar and the door might of taken an impact too and that never helps. Hopefully they don't total it and you get to enjoy your new wheels and springs!

Shouldn’t they have told him before hand that they were going to take it for a test drive ? I know if that was me I would’ve went with them.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion

I have to disagree with you. At my ripe old age I have bought many sets of wheels & tires. NEVER once has anyone test driven my car. If they can't trust themselves to mount & balance correctly I sure wouldn't want them touching my car, but maybe that's just me. The crux of the problem is the type of shop that did the tire & wheel install. They may have done that part right, but the joyride or rather "test drive" lol if you prefer was where the crap hit the fan.

To the OP I hope this works out for you.

JustinT

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'm honestly not feeling so good about it but we'll see. I just put in new springs/struts with my roommate a week ago, and I didn't even get drive with the new wheels... :/ Lol. I'm already looking at a few other cars assuming the worst case scenario.

Smart move, either way I hope whatever happens benefits you in the end. Losing aftermarket parts sucks but at least you’re not hurt or anything. Always hear bad things about Pepboys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Remember, they drive your car into and out of the bay for work. Unless the shop lets you pull the car in and take it out yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheCor

Ready to race!
Looking at that picture, my concern would be the damage to the passenger side A-pillar above the cowel...that is basically one big piece back to the rear quarter panel. Aside from a cut and weld, it would be a fairly significant repair to replace that alone. It's likely totaled.
Also just FYI, you have to have reasonable ground to start any litigation - its not just an open and shut case. You weren't driving, so you have no injury claim to make against anyone. You could only pursue suit if you feel that the insurance carrier is not treating you fairly, and that is a pretty hard case to make. Not sure what state you are in, but that also affects whether your insurance, or the Pep-Boys garage policy provides the primary coverage on this. I would assume it will be the garage policy though, which will have high limits, so no worries there. I work in claims clearly.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Remember, they drive your car into and out of the bay for work. Unless the shop lets you pull the car in and take it out yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is true, but it's quite a different story when taking a customers car out for a joyride/road test after installing wheels & tires.