GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat 18: CAR MODS GALORE; CAR PROBLEMS GALORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
My garage is heated from the rest of the condos in the building... Sooo I mean its not cold but its not warm either. Planning on changing my oil pan in there this winter when I feel up to it.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Out of nowhere, while at Motorwerks getting my free car wash on the Diesel, wife says she'd rather have one car that does it all, vs bouncing back and forth between two different cars, so "what about a Macan for me?" She does often get stuck having to shuffle Jr. around with his Lacrosse crap, and he usually likes to surprise her with, "Oh, when I asked you to pick me up from Lacrosse practice, I actually meant me AND my friends..." so she wants something with a little more room. The Macan really isn't much bigger than the GTI but she's convinced it'll work better. *shrug* :iono:

So we poked around. Took one for a drive, she really liked it. More than I expected her to, especially since it'd mean her giving up her convertible too.

GTI is an awesome car and I love it to death but if I can free up a garage stall + get her back into a car with a warranty, I'm game to entertain the idea. She's got to come up with some money for it tho so it's on her to see what she can come up with.

Holy crap I didnt realize the Macan was so cheap. Goin base model? Or gettin a turbo? Edit: Its not cheap for me, but I for some reason thought it was like an 80k SUV. Not a 50k

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Holy crap I didnt realize the Macan was so cheap. Goin base model? Or gettin a turbo? Edit: Its not cheap for me, but I for some reason thought it was like an 80k SUV. Not a 50k

Ya they're pretty reasonable, for the brand. Brand new the officially start at $47k (good luck finding one at that price tho) but I mean, you can option them up well above $100k. My good friend has a 2015 Macan S that has every conceivable option on it... 21" wheels, full leather (leather dash, center console, etc), all the sport options, air suspension, full carbon fiber interior trim, sticker was like $95k when new. He also bought it CPO'd and I think he got it for somewhere around $60k two years ago.

They have a couple new ones in stock for mid-50s... tho the Porsche CPO is so good, you're really better off letting the last guy take the hit, buy used and get the warranty.

The one I'm thinking about is a CPO'd 2017. Base 2.0T model (I know I know, "get the S") but it's pretty well loaded. Premium Plus package (all the good stuff - heated/cooled seats, keyless ignition, panoramic roof, etc), 25k miles, B2B warranty until late 2022 and unlimited miles. Looking like low $40s will take it home.

They've got a higher mileage 2015 "S" they're asking $35k on. 69k miles but they'll also CPO it, which would put it under warranty through most of 2020, unlimited mileage. The "S" is cool but really I want the longer warranty. Plus with the base being a 2.0T, there are tunes out there. Knowing the 2.0T's have been tuned for ages without issue on other VAG cars... I'd be inclined to tune a Macan base if we bought one. It'd close the gap enough to the S.

The Macan, used, is kind of a steal... so long as you don't cross shop the Audi Q5. :)

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
What do you normally do to winterize?
this^
Wash. Fresh oil change. Full tank of fuel with sta-bil. Battery tender and car cover.
Nothing major, really. They otherwise sit in a heated garage all winter.
im gonna wash, take for drive to dry it fill with fuel.

oil change, rainx windows cause why not. clean interior cause why not. park as close to corner of garage. set it and forget it.

my winter prep was putting street pads back on and all seasons in terms of actual prep.

Out of nowhere, while at Motorwerks getting my free car wash on the Diesel, wife says she'd rather have one car that does it all, vs bouncing back and forth between two different cars, so "what about a Macan for me?" She does often get stuck having to shuffle Jr. around with his Lacrosse crap, and he usually likes to surprise her with, "Oh, when I asked you to pick me up from Lacrosse practice, I actually meant me AND my friends..." so she wants something with a little more room. The Macan really isn't much bigger than the GTI but she's convinced it'll work better. *shrug* :iono:

So we poked around. Took one for a drive, she really liked it. More than I expected her to, especially since it'd mean her giving up her convertible too.

GTI is an awesome car and I love it to death but if I can free up a garage stall + get her back into a car with a warranty, I'm game to entertain the idea. She's got to come up with some money for it tho so it's on her to see what she can come up with.
Thats actually a well thought out idea. Id be for for a Macan.... even though "not a real porsche" discussion. Its one of the better "not a real porsches" out there. :laugh:

Macans look nice but yeah not much larger than a gti as you said.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Ya they're pretty reasonable, for the brand. Brand new the officially start at $47k (good luck finding one at that price tho) but I mean, you can option them up well above $100k. My good friend has a 2015 Macan S that has every conceivable option on it... 21" wheels, full leather (leather dash, center console, etc), all the sport options, air suspension, full carbon fiber interior trim, sticker was like $95k when new. He also bought it CPO'd and I think he got it for somewhere around $60k two years ago.

They have a couple new ones in stock for mid-50s... tho the Porsche CPO is so good, you're really better off letting the last guy take the hit, buy used and get the warranty.

The one I'm thinking about is a CPO'd 2017. Base 2.0T model (I know I know, "get the S") but it's pretty well loaded. Premium Plus package (all the good stuff - heated/cooled seats, keyless ignition, panoramic roof, etc), 25k miles, B2B warranty until late 2022 and unlimited miles. Looking like low $40s will take it home.

They've got a higher mileage 2015 "S" they're asking $35k on. 69k miles but they'll also CPO it, which would put it under warranty through most of 2020, unlimited mileage. The "S" is cool but really I want the longer warranty. Plus with the base being a 2.0T, there are tunes out there. Knowing the 2.0T's have been tuned for ages without issue on other VAG cars... I'd be inclined to tune a Macan base if we bought one. It'd close the gap enough to the S.

The Macan, used, is kind of a steal... so long as you don't cross shop the Audi Q5. :)

Wow yeah that sounds like a really good deal. Been looking into what to get as a family car when my wife and I have kids. Cause at some point the GTI will be too small and she drives a corolla. Been thinking a 4Runner or highlander. But I also like the looks of the Audi Q3.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
this^

im gonna wash, take for drive to dry it fill with fuel.

oil change, rainx windows cause why not. clean interior cause why not. park as close to corner of garage. set it and forget it.

Throw the RainX in the garbage.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Thats actually a well thought out idea. Id be for for a Macan.... even though "not a real porsche" discussion. Its one of the better "not a real porsches" out there. :laugh:

Macans look nice but yeah not much larger than a gti as you said.

Ya and the 2.0 is even more "not a real Porsche" because it's the VW/Audi motor. The "S" is at least a Porsche-specific twin turbo V6. Quick enough to be a lot of fun no doubt. But also less proven of a motor compared to the 2.0, shitty fuel economy, and on average, like-for-like, about a $10k price difference. Honestly I'm glad she didn't mind the 2.0 because if it was solely on me, I'd probably be shopping for a lighter-optioned S. She wants all the creature comforts like the seats, the heated steering wheel, the big moonroof, etc. and that stuff on top of an S for a 2017+ just goes above what I'd want to spend.

Powertrain aside, you otherwise get the Porsche chassis and that is definitely very noticeable. Drives like a sports car. A comparable Q5 is much more "luxury". Soft squishy ride, light steering, etc.

If you have to compromise and get a sort of "all in one" that's fun to drive but still relatively practical, it's not a bad way to go, short of maybe an Audi SQ5.

Wow yeah that sounds like a really good deal. Been looking into what to get as a family car when my wife and I have kids. Cause at some point the GTI will be too small and she drives a corolla. Been thinking a 4Runner or highlander. But I also like the looks of the Audi Q3.

Q3 really *is* GTI sized tho. Q5 (which is the same platform as the Macan) is *slightly* bigger. I can set the driver's seat to fit me (6'2) and then get into the back seat behind it and fit. My knees are just about touching the seatback... but I fit. I can't do that in the GTI without manspreading like crazy. The cargo area is also a little bigger.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Ya and the 2.0 is even more "not a real Porsche" because it's the VW/Audi motor. The "S" is at least a Porsche-specific twin turbo V6. Quick enough to be a lot of fun no doubt. But also less proven of a motor compared to the 2.0, shitty fuel economy, and on average, like-for-like, about a $10k price difference. Honestly I'm glad she didn't mind the 2.0 because if it was solely on me, I'd probably be shopping for a lighter-optioned S. She wants all the creature comforts like the seats, the heated steering wheel, the big moonroof, etc. and that stuff on top of an S for a 2017+ just goes above what I'd want to spend.

Powertrain aside, you otherwise get the Porsche chassis and that is definitely very noticeable. Drives like a sports car. A comparable Q5 is much more "luxury". Soft squishy ride, light steering, etc.

If you have to compromise and get a sort of "all in one" that's fun to drive but still relatively practical, it's not a bad way to go, short of maybe an Audi SQ5.

Q3 really *is* GTI sized tho. Q5 (which is the same platform as the Macan) is *slightly* bigger. I can set the driver's seat to fit me (6'2) and then get into the back seat behind it and fit. My knees are just about touching the seatback... but I fit. I can't do that in the GTI without manspreading like crazy. The cargo area is also a little bigger.

I had no idea the Q3 was the same size as the GTI. Never really had a chance to see the inside of one. I might check out the Q5 though.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Throw the RainX in the garbage.
Why? Its hazy when you first apply it and yes takes awhile to buff out but its results have always been good for me.

#whatwipers

Whats the transmission like in those Macans? Assuming some fancy 7 or 8 speed gearbox.

Fun and practical cars are a hard middle ground no doubt. Im in the same boat as you right now looking for suv .
I had no idea the Q3 was the same size as the GTI. Never really had a chance to see the inside of one. I might check out the Q5 though.
spoiler alert, s3s interior is mad small compared to gti.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Why? Its hazy when you first apply it and yes takes awhile to buff out but its results have always been good for me.

#whatwipers

RainX works but it's a BITCH to get off. Clay bar and then use your regular paint sealant. Works better and application is sooo much easier.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I put some rain-x on my windows a few weeks ago. I didn't have any problems wiping it off, but about a week later when I had to drive at night with high humidity I couldn't see shit.

I want to do a ceramic coating in a couple months and when I do that I plan on coating my windows with something too.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I put some rain-x on my windows a few weeks ago. I didn't have any problems wiping it off, but about a week later when I had to drive at night with high humidity I couldn't see shit.

I want to do a ceramic coating in a couple months and when I do that I plan on coating my windows with something too.

This is what I'm talking about. The RainX wasn't fully removed.
I'm not sure about ceramic coating for windows as I've never tried that, but I can say clay bar and regular paint sealant works great.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.