GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Fuel Filter Change

Jemin_G

Go Kart Newbie
Replace at 40K Intervals as per service manual. I used the golfmkv write up and pictures to relay this information over on this board.

New Filter with Caps:

1) Jack the vehicle up - The fuel filter is location under the rear passenger area

2) Unclip the two fuel lines by PRESSING IN ON THE CLIPS, not prying them upwards! (Watch out, fuel will escape both the filter and lines. Its best to use the caps on your replacement to cap the old filter to prevent excessive spillage.

3) The other clip is a bit harder to get to. I used some channel locks to give the leverage I needed to push down on the clip because it was at a weird handle that prevented my hands to get in there. Dont clamp too hard, or you will cause damage to the lines.

***Again, Make sure you cap the old filter. You dont want to lose that precious $3.79/gal gas (EDIT: $4.05/gal)****

4) Using a phillips head screwdriver, undo the screw and pull the old filter out.

5) Place the new filter (Part Number: 1K0201051K ) and tighten screw back in.

6) Clip the lines into their respectable places

7) Inspect everything

8) Allow the fuel pump to prime (Normally by opening the driver's door), if this doesn't do, just turn the key to the on position, but dont start the vehicle up.

DONE

Make sure you use Part number: 1K0201051K. That is the latest revision fuel filter. It holds 6.6bar of pressure as opposed to 6.4bar. VW Engineers found fuel cut issues on the old FSI and seems the future models benefited from this.
Thanks for this! Switched this out today at 41k.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JasonMK6GTI

So starting 1 month ago, my car was holding 1st gear way too long for my liking upon cold startup, so I had a look online the reason for it and someone suggested replacing the fuel filter.

On top of that, after pouring some injector cleaner into the tank, the car once had a rough cold start idle half way through the tank, gave it some rev and the issue went away, I suspect some rubbish temporarily clogged a fuel injector.

So both those issues had me suspect the fuel filter was indeed overdue.

So today I completed the job, needless to say, the fuel that came out of the fuel filter was filthy. The car now produces more power and is more responsive.

Attachments

• 20220809_134056.jpg
    20220809_134056.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220809_134101.jpg
    20220809_134101.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 59