GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Alright kids... i have a mod i want to install soon and doign some recon under the hood for the mounting point, i need to undo this screw circled here...

My question is, do you think it will be safe to do so with out doing any additional engine support (floor jack)? not positive it would be needed but the thought crossed my mind. The BFI install video talks about supporting the engine for the mount install, but that may just be for the sake of getting the old mount out and to support the engine while that goes in.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Alright kids... i have a mod i want to install soon and doign some recon under the hood for the mounting point, i need to undo this screw circled here...

My question is, do you think it will be safe to do so with out doing any additional engine support (floor jack)? not positive it would be needed but the thought crossed my mind. The BFI install video talks about supporting the engine for the mount install, but that may just be for the sake of getting the old mount out and to support the engine while that goes in.
As long as you aren't gonna be putting any significant force on the engine or you don't get an earthquake you should be fine. I left my car sitting overnight with neither of the body side mount bolts in

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

I’d do it just in case. Get a jack from Walmart or harbor freight cheap for piece of mind. Last thing you want is it to shift and not have it aligned correctly. That’s what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

There is still the other bolt in the back holding it in place should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
I won't be buying a DP for another few months at least, but I'm trying to nail down which one to buy. I currently can't decide between the APR DP, Unitronic DP or SPM DP (catted).
Can anyone with experiences with any of these chime in?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I won't be buying a DP for another few months at least, but I'm trying to nail down which one to buy. I currently can't decide between the APR DP, Unitronic DP or SPM DP (catted).
Can anyone with experiences with any of these chime in?

I install downpipes for people all the time, I don't own any of the three you mentioned personally but all of them are high quality and I've not seen or heard of any fitment issues, or any issues with them.

The only brand I'd stay far away from is CTS and cobb, CTS has terrible fitment issues with many of them and cobb seem to crack for many users.

torga

Autocross Champion
Thank you for your input!
I read of some fitment issues with the SPM DP, but that seems to have been fixed in a later revision. I've only heard good things about the APR and Uni units. It looks like they both have good, sealed joints. I think the only major difference seems to be the cats - APR's is 300 cell while Uni's is 200 cell. And the fact that APR is cast.

torga

Autocross Champion
im happy with my 42dd DP
I've never had good luck with bolted clamp connections, which is why I didn't consider this one. I'm wanting to stick to v-bands or OEM-style clamps.

Edit: I suppose I could opt for v-bands. With a cat, that would bring it up to $625 new, which squarely competes with Uni ($599). APR is in a league of its own at $760. Trying to figure out if it's worth a $160 premium.

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I've never had good luck with bolted clamp connections, which is why I didn't consider this one. I'm wanting to stick to v-bands or OEM-style clamps.

Edit: I suppose I could opt for v-bands. With a cat, that would bring it up to $625 new, which squarely competes with Uni ($599). APR is in a league of its own at $760. Trying to figure out if it's worth a $160 premium.
I love the way mine sounds with a 42dd turbo back. If I were to do it again tho I'd definitely go vband, the 3 bolt suck

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Figured it out

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
In your collective experience, do APR and/or Unitronic have Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales?

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
In your collective experience, do APR and/or Unitronic have Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales?
There’s usually some pretty good deals on APR hardware for Black Friday. I’ve seen ~ 20% off, with some places even offering free install on downpipes, intercooler, and turbos.