GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THROTTLE BODY UPGRADE (or replace)

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, it feels like since the adaptation fails, the TB is either shut or wide open. At low speeds the car bucks, and acceleration is choppy, 0-35 mph is hell. I also can hear the car bleeding off the excess boost. Cars also running rich to compensate.

For perspective my mod list (eventually gonna make a thread after i'm tuned and this crap is sorted out):

Cobb Tuning AP3-VLK-001
Cobb Tuning Downpipe Non-Resonated
Cobb Tuning Catback
Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold
Spulen Turbo Muffler Delete and Boost Pipes
Fluidampr + ARP Bolt Kit (Crank Pulley)
ARM Motorsports FMIC + Stock IC Delete
Grams 70mm Throttle Body
R8 Coilpacks
NGK BKR7EIX (2667) Spark Plugs Set (4)
Gruven Billet Pulley Set (Alternator and Tension)

Port and Polished Stock Turbo (IHI RHF5)
Forge Wastegate Actuator
GFB DV+

PTP Lava Wrap on Downpipe
PTP Turbo Blanket

Currently running Cobb Stage 2 Stock MAF 93 oct.

Attempted to run the first revision of my stratified map, but anything above ~30-40mph causes overboost and limp mode.

I know someone who ran the TB with I.E manifold and they have 0 issues. And yes I realize in this setup the turbo is now the restriction.

Any real benefit with the gruven pulley set?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

Hard to tell with the throttle issues at the moment, but from what I can tell revs are definitely smoother and lighter. I attribute the smoothness to the fluidampr, but the reduction in rotational mass is nice. I know the stock turbo can only flow so much, so I'm to trying to gain back lost hp rather than create more.

a3scott20

Ready to race!
Currently running Grams TB together with IE intake manifold and no issue. Low end torque and throttle respond are better :)

BTW, I have had to make another new throttle pipe in order to avoid collision between throttle pipe and fans, because car has APR intercooler and TyrolSport radiator installed, that means the space is really limited.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Currently running Grams TB together with IE intake manifold and no issue. Low end torque and throttle respond are better :)

BTW, I have had to make another new throttle pipe in order to avoid collision between throttle pipe and fans, because car has APR intercooler and TyrolSport radiator installed, that means the space is really limited.

Yeah I know lol, I'm the one who messaged you on IG. Grams said they want the TB back for testing and are sending me a return label, I'm trying to get them to send me a replacement first because I don't want to have to put the stock one back on, but the car is my daily so I might have no choice.

I'm using USP's Spulen Throttle pipe still have pretty ample space.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion

good to know i'm not the only one having this problem.

Chris659

Ready to race!

Hard to tell with the throttle issues at the moment, but from what I can tell revs are definitely smoother and lighter. I attribute the smoothness to the fluidampr, but the reduction in rotational mass is nice. I know the stock turbo can only flow so much, so I'm to trying to gain back lost hp rather than create more.

I've got their idler pulley on mine. Can't say I noticed any difference but any time I can swap out factory junk for quality parts I will. I've heard bad stuff about the alternator pulley since it's clutchless though

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I've got their idler pulley on mine. Can't say I noticed any difference but any time I can swap out factory junk for quality parts I will. I've heard bad stuff about the alternator pulley since it's clutchless though

I've heard both ways. Tried to find the thread I read somewhere clutched pulleys are more important on Diesel engines due to increased vibrations. I'm monitoring battery voltage and other parameters, and my belt for wear. If I get any sign of a issue the stock one goes back on. Haven't noticed any increases in NVH. That being said I would never install the idler or Alternator Pulley without having a fluidampr as well.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I'll update if I find that the Grams TB was faulty.

Last edited:

jkells

Ready to race!
Idk, at this point I might put the stock TB back on because my driveability is horrible surges like hell at low speeds, mpg crap, fuel trims etc. I commute 80-100mi a day, can't keep driving like this lol. Gonna check all the connectors one more time. I really doubt it's my tunes fault, since several people are running it perfectly fine with an aftermarket tune. And I want to get my stratified protune going. I.E. Manifold provides more than enough flow anyways.

I would check to see if you have a boost leak. I had a leak at the connector to the TB. You literally have to seat the flange on the TB all the way at the top and torque it down EXTREMELY tight with a ratchet. I have not had a single issue since I did that.

jkells

Ready to race!
Yeah im dsg, it feels like since the adaptation fails, the TB is either shut or wide open. At low speeds the car bucks, and acceleration is choppy, 0-35 mph is hell. I also can hear the car bleeding off the excess boost. Cars also running rich to compensate.

For perspective my mod list (eventually gonna make a thread after i'm tuned and this crap is sorted out):

Cobb Tuning AP3-VLK-001
Cobb Tuning Downpipe Non-Resonated
Cobb Tuning Catback
Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold
Spulen Turbo Muffler Delete and Boost Pipes
Fluidampr + ARP Bolt Kit (Crank Pulley)
ARM Motorsports FMIC + Stock IC Delete
Grams 70mm Throttle Body
R8 Coilpacks
NGK BKR7EIX (2667) Spark Plugs Set (4)
Gruven Billet Pulley Set (Alternator and Tension)

Port and Polished Stock Turbo (IHI RHF5)
Forge Wastegate Actuator
GFB DV+

PTP Lava Wrap on Downpipe
PTP Turbo Blanket

Currently running Cobb Stage 2 Stock MAF 93 oct.

Attempted to run the first revision of my stratified map, but anything above ~30-40mph causes overboost and limp mode.

I know someone who ran the TB with I.E manifold and they have 0 issues. And yes I realize in this setup the turbo is now the restriction.

Also, have you had it re-tuned? or atleast did a TBA in VAGCOM or something similar? At this point, you ECU is still thinking it has the stock TB on their, so the influx of air is making it run rich.

jkells

Ready to race!
Said it showed a error, and they weren't able to run the adaptation successfully. I spoke with Grams they said it could be tune related, if cobb modified the throttle body parameters or throttle advancement. I emailed cobb for info on that. But I'm thinking its a hardware problem. I can hear slight noise from the TB (gotta get real close) when I put the key to ACC in the ignition.

The slight clicking noise you are referring to is the throttle body performing checks and attempting to align, this is normal. Even for the stock TB.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I would check to see if you have a boost leak. I had a leak at the connector to the TB. You literally have to seat the flange on the TB all the way at the top and torque it down EXTREMELY tight with a ratchet. I have not had a single issue since I did that.

I'll check for leaks again. I think it may have been my battery which went completely dead this weekend. I did some more research on the vcds TBA and they said low battery voltage with throw a error and prevent alignment. My voltage was definitely low. Couldn't even flash the car without needing a jump. Going by the shop after class to have them reattempt with new battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a3scott20

Ready to race!
a friend of mine who is running CTS GTX3071 kit with IE manifold & GIAC tune installed the Grams TB last weekend, the low end torque / throttle respond is DEF better and the acceleration at upper RPM is more stronger (you can feel the difference but not that much). BTW, he had to re make a new throttle pipe as well so it can be fit. For the throttle adaption it went well as usual.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I had my stock TB put back and it adapted first try no issues. So at this point it has to be the TB, mailing it back to Grams tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Can someone do a mass air flow log before and after the grams tb. Also see if you guys can do an boost log, Target/Actual before and after the grams tb. would help us make up our minds. Nothing better than log data.